PDA

View Full Version : How many risk assessments?!

Monkey26
20-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before... I have spent a lot of time in recent months updating my risk assessment folder and am wondering if it will ever end?! (Actually, I know it won't...!!!)

So far I have:
* All of my property - bedrooms, bathroom, hallway, kitchen, play area
* Driveway - I live in a flat so is a shared drive (own entrance though :-) )
* Garden incl separate one for trampoline
* Outings - done all the regular ones e.g. toddler groups, soft play areas and town centre, now cracking on with the holiday day trips...!!!
* Transport - car, walking and public transport
* Event of an emergency - need to finish this one but it’s on the go!
Am I missing anything, glaringly obvious here?

Now, I am starting to crack on with activities; baking, arts and crafts, sand and water play... any others I need?!

Do I need to do a risk assessment for all the toys in my setting, i.e. books, puzzles, soft toys, toy kitchen, cars etc etc??

And do I need to risk assess each child?? I have a lot as many of my children only do one day a week!

THANK YOU! Xx

mama2three
20-05-2010, 07:24 PM
You will get lots of different answers to this one! Ofsted say you should ra anything that comes into contact with the child , but from researching this myself to find out just what i needed in place before my inspection I found most minders dont have activity or child assessments , but do have home , garden , and all outings. I have part on my daily checklist which says toys are safe , clean and age appropriate - but dont have ras for each. I dont have ras for each child as such , but review all my other ras with the new child in mind and update as neccesary. It was enough for my inspector - but maybe I was fortunate. I know sarah has posted regarding reports which highlight the lack of child ras fairly recently. So I havent really helped have I? sorry!!:blush:

Monkey26
20-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you for replying Kath. I have a daily risk assessment which, like you, states that all toys and resources are in good working order etc.
I am going to finish all my outings etc before starting on the child ones i think... oh i don't know, not sure, what to do what to do... more paperwork i guess!!! x

Toothfairy
21-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Heat wave
Severe weather
Flooding
Art & Caft
Nappy changing
Individual child

HTH :thumbsup:

specks4
21-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Ive just had Ofsted and she said my risk assessments were good and all i have is
Daily whole house including garden
Annual including 6 month mini check whole house, this includes toysand resources
Outtings but not every single outting i dont do one everyday for the school run just assess when needed which could be if i got a new child or a child in the buggy started walking and again i do this if i go somewhere weekly like toddler group or childminding group.
Car, walking, public transport as and when
Ive also got the places i visit regularlly like toddler group and childminding group risks assessments too.

I risk assess activities but i dont write them down because otherwise i would be doing papaerwork all the time.

Hope this helps

Carol M
21-05-2010, 11:53 AM
But how do you risk assess each individual child?
Surely you would have to be writing one each day!
I do RA's for each age and stage relating to each trip/area/journey/outing/park etc etc.
Is that what you mean?
carol:confused:

specks4
21-05-2010, 12:30 PM
We all do things different and i find this the best way for me, Ofsted said what i was doing was good and to continue. I understand all inspections and inspectors are different. As are all our settings and children

Carol M
21-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Heat wave
Severe weather
Flooding
Art & Caft
Nappy changing
Individual child

HTH :thumbsup:

This is what I was refering to. I have not heard of the "individual child" one and don't know what it means. Can someone explain this one for me.
Carol x

Toothfairy
22-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Someone gave it out on this forum.

miffy
22-05-2010, 09:21 PM
This is what I was refering to. I have not heard of the "individual child" one and don't know what it means. Can someone explain this one for me.
Carol x

It was discussed on another thread recently

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=59269

Miffy xx

Carol M
23-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Toothfairy and Miffy.
Like discussed in the other thread I am not sure weather to use these written docs as they are only any good if they are updated regularly, probably more regularly than others.
Of course we all are constantly risk assessing each child and what they do and using these observations to help progress the child in all areas including their health and safety. I might give it a try and see how it works for me.
Thanks again
Carol x

Monkey26
23-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the advice, links and attachments :)

The attachment for risk assessing the child is a very good starting base, but is it detailed enough for Ofsted? All my other risk assessments are very detailed and i just feel Ofsted may look at it and go "hmmmmmmm, bit of a copout in comparison to others?" Maybe i just need to cut down on my paperwork and save myself some sanity?!

Thanks again for all your replies xx