PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Development

venus89
20-05-2010, 06:47 PM
What kind of things would you say come under cognitive development? I have to say how I'm meeting the learning needs of a child for my DHC5 and I've drawn a blank there. A bit embarassing as I studied psychology at uni so I really should know :blush: The child is very nearly 2.....

The Juggler
20-05-2010, 06:51 PM
cognitive development is to do with learning so I don't know how you would seperate it really but I'm guessing they mean subject areas perhaps as opposed to PSED type learning and development.

However, you could argue until they have the PSED elements underway, motivation, concentration, behaviour, self-control they can't really gain any headway in cognitive development.

sorry don't think that was much help:blush:

venus89
20-05-2010, 06:56 PM
No, it was thankyou! I only need to have something to show my tutor on Saturday - she can correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I was hoping to bump into you - I got confirmation today that I'm on the EYPS short pathway.... have you got any further with it? Now I'm beginning to panic over the logistics of it......

The Juggler
20-05-2010, 08:23 PM
No, it was thankyou! I only need to have something to show my tutor on Saturday - she can correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I was hoping to bump into you - I got confirmation today that I'm on the EYPS short pathway.... have you got any further with it? Now I'm beginning to panic over the logistics of it......

I have my form, but the college have basically said they will accept me as long as Tribal are happy with my degree cert and confirmation of my o' levels for maths and english. It's the same tutor/college I did my FD with so I'm lucky. My tutor was fab and talked me through it all. I was worried and told her all my ideas for 'influencing others' but she said that is only a part of it, the knowledge base forms such a large part of the standards and influencing others with those skill form a smaller number of the standards. As she pointed out it covers all types of early years work and so a nursery manager would have to prove she could influence childminding practice the same as we would theoretically need to prove we could influence a nursery setting as well as other childminders. She was more confident in my ability to do this than I was:laughing: :laughing:

Feel free to call me she was so lovely and talked me though the whole assessment process. PM me and I'll give you my mobile hon.x

I don't start until September though, what about you? I'm just wondering if the bursary/funding will still be there or whether the reducing requirements on childminders with new Gov't will include no need for us to do EYPS??