PDA

View Full Version : Just found out I could be out of business in 18 months....

essexgirl1967
20-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Just picked up my mindees from school and read in the newsletter that they've just got funding to open an after school club. Got £725k!! and building starts in Sept this year to open in Sept 2011. Now I've been a minder for 12 years so have had all ages of child but at the mo have just school aged ones from this school, before and after school term time only and it works fine BUT.... I know at least half will go to after school club as it bound to be cheaper and some parents do seem to like the easy option of school/after school all in one place. Cant stop thinking about what to do. OH says carry on exactly as I am now and just see who leaves etc, whereas I am a worrier and am convinced I will end up with no mindees. Maybe I should take on little ones again as I do get calls, but have found it very difficult in past to mix preschoolers and after schoolies IYSWIM, and find it easier to do one age range or the other. GRRRRRR.....just when it was all going so well lol x

cuffleygirl
20-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi

I thought that when our village school opened breakfast/after school club. Ours doesn't offer holiday care, it closes at 6pm (opens at 7.30pm). Some of the children who were at childminders in the village went to it - alot didn't!

Some of the children who did initially go to it moved back to childminders (not necessarily their previous one) Of those who left after school club, parents said that it didn't work as it was 'institutionalised' care, after a day at school kids didn't want more school environment.

There is little flexibility, its not home based care, its another option, not always a better option. Our club is now only just breaking even, so may not be around for much longer, its prices if it's any use are £4 before school and £8 afterwards, includes snacks - not meals.

Its not the end of your business, if your parents/children are happy there is no reason to change.

youarewhatyoueat
20-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Why not run it!!!! you could be involved in the setting up of the club, offering your expertise and run it as a business, all you need is insurance from mm for holiday clubs, employers liability and you could still be your own boss.
And no mess in your own home, how tempting.

sandy64
20-05-2010, 05:28 PM
hi our school has a club it hasnt afected me in fact i have had kids from there as some dont like being in a school environment all yr round there also not much cheaper and most have to provide there own lunch. im oposite of you last july i finished with my schoolies and have lo now love it no argueing etc etc, try not to worry its a long way off anythink can happen:)

emmadines
20-05-2010, 05:28 PM
we have a sure start centre starting to be built now, they will be offering after school care so I know my days are numbered!!

nokidshere
20-05-2010, 05:31 PM
The two schools I do drop off and pick up to both opened before/after school clubs about 2 years ago.

It hasn't affected me at all - lots of parents dont want their child staying in school for so long and I have never been busier than I will be this Sept.

huggableshelly
20-05-2010, 05:54 PM
the school I pick up from opened an afterschool club, I thought i would lose a few afterschoolers but didnt and to be honest I was hoping some would go especialy one who's mom walks past school and her home to get to me for pick up then has to walk all the way back again.

I did eventually lose 2 mindees as Mom's working hours changed, she needed 5 days a wk and I could only offer the 2 she already had, so she placed them both in afterschool for 3 days a wk. They loved it so much and it was cheaper with the sibbling rate so she moved them there for the 5 days after agreeing with me to terminate contracts by the end of the wk.

Anyway, dont worry about it, the parents may prefer to keep them with you rather than extend their childrens day in school.

Hebs
20-05-2010, 06:30 PM
all the schools i collect from (5 of them) have after school club but the kids hate them, try not to worry xx

mum26
20-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Our school have just opened an before/after school club off school premises. It is run by a private operator and the children have approx 10 min walk to the club which is in a leisure centre room. The school have an abundance of childcare on offer as they already had an afterschool club in operation which children had access to in a nearby children's centre - children are taken there by minibus. There are also about six childminders collecting children. (This is all for a small primary school with 310 pupils). Since the club has opened I must admit I haven't had any calls for childminding as I think a lot of parents have gone for the easy option of the club - it is also cheaper than me £3 07.45 - 08.45, and £7 15.15 - 07.45 with a £1 discount for siblings. Parents can use the club on an ad hoc basis as well which makes it attractive.The club is in its infancy though - only having opened since last October so time will tell as to whether they have enough children on roll to make it pay - it is being subsidised quite heavily I think.

I am losing my two only afterschoolies this July as one is going to secondary school and the other who will be in year 6 next September has decided she is too old to come to a childminder. I am almost full with under 5s so am ok at the moment - but 2 will start school next year - just hope I will be able to fill their spaces.

I am having mixed feelings about this really and am wondering whether to concentrate just on under 5s. I have found it a real struggle to amuse the older children when it is tea time for the little ones too, and to be truthful when I ask them what they would like to do they have answered 'nothing'! I do let them play on the wii, have numerous things in the garden for all ages, they can have time on the computer - offered crafts suitable for older ones but they haven't been interested.

Sorry this has turned out to be really long - I have received notice from the mum of the child who thinks she is too old to be at a childminder so feeling a bit fed up today! I wouldn't worry about it yet - 18 months is a long time and if the children enjoy coming to you they wont want to change.

sarah707
20-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Don't worry too much.

They opened a new 100+ nursery round the corner from me and I was really worried it would affect business.

I think you'll find some parents prefer childminders for our personal touch. :D

essexgirl1967
20-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Firstly, thanks to everyone who took time to reply, has helped me put things into perspective a little, as I was feeling very very down when I first read the newsletter.
In answer to one of the posts, running it isnt an option! the building is going to operate as a preschool during school hours and then after school club after 3, using the same staff. The preschool was taken over by the school about a year ago, because of financial problems and currently operates in a demountable class room in school grounds. My youngest went to the preschool and hated it intensely so I really dont think working there would be an option for me.
Trouble is I like school aged kids, my own are aged between 16 and 4 and I can cope with grumpy attitudy pre teens IYSWIM which I know lots of people cant.
My mum has backed my OH and just said wait and see, as although they have the funding to use the building as a nursery and after school club, they wont be under same pressure as I am to fill every place and may operate on an ad hoc basis which I wont do, so we may be attracting a different type of parent.
Spoke to the headteacher about it when I saw her in the playground and she said she thought she was doing me a favour, taking all these after school kids away who dont pay much so I can replace them with preschoolers and earn more! Doesnt she think if I wanted preschoolers here, I'd have them regardless of whether an after school club exists or not? x

Toothfairy
21-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Please don't panic.
When our school opended up the before & after school clubs, I also thought it would affect me, but it didn't.

All my mindee's stayed with me and I also got some new mindee's because of it.
Parents went mad and cancelled their childcare to go to the clubs but they filled up very quickly and couldn't get spaces, they were then stuck for childcare, so I picked up a few extra mindees because of it.

I'm sure you will be fine. :thumbsup:

caz3007
21-05-2010, 12:01 PM
We have a council run afterschool club, that collects from lots of schools in the area. All my after schoolies have come to me from there cos they hated it. They all love the fact that my house is similar to their own homes (all have been coming to me for several years) they can chill or play in the garden and I tell them off just like their mums :) But I dont make them do anything organised, given up organising anything for them cos they didnt want to do it.

singlewiththree
21-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I also charge a hourly basis and our before/after school is session and if the children do a club they still have to pay so they find it cheaper to put them with me. However I have sent some to the club as I have preschoolers and don't want to be too full!

debbie
24-05-2010, 08:12 AM
i thought the same a couple of years back we had 2 children's centres open up within a mile of each other and both the schools i pick up from do both before/after school clubs. i have been in undated with phone calls because the parents like the flexibility of a childminder. especially if their running late or caught on a train back from london at leaast we are open most of these clubs / childrens centres are closed by 6 pm. i'm now completely full up and have a waiting list set up. i did have just before and after school kids but started taking on eyfs group during day and its worked well. not one phone call all word of mouth. perserve it 'll pay off and don't worry as my oh would say worry when it happens. good luck