PDA

View Full Version : Craft Ideas for one year old please

caz3007
20-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I have a new LO who is just one and he doesnt really play at the moment, just cries a lot and likes sitting on my lap. Was thinking about craft ideas, but am a bit stumped, do lots of things with my older ones, but he is rather little and feel he is a little behind.

So any ideas would be really helpful, he is only with me one day a week, but would like to bring him on a bit and let him explore a bit more.

Thanks

bexcee
20-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Finger painting, gloop, water play, sand pit, sticking. Just need to make sure it doesn't go into his mouth!

caz3007
20-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Finger painting, gloop, water play, sand pit, sticking. Just need to make sure it doesn't go into his mouth!

He does like putting things in his mouth. I think I have some finger paints somewhere, if not a trip to Wilkinsons will be on the cards at the weekend

grindal
20-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Put different food in a tray for him to play with - cereal, custard, rice, whatever. That way if he eats it does not matter.

AnnieM
20-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I find that at this age they love cornflour and water gloop poured onto the highchair tray, or put a bit of paint on the highchair tray and let him play in that, you could then press a piece of paper onto it so he has something to take home. :)

caz3007
20-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Put different food in a tray for him to play with - cereal, custard, rice, whatever. That way if he eats it does not matter.

Thats a good idea. He only has jars of food at the moment, but mum and I were talking about him bringing more of a packed lunch type of thing, so I am happy to give him some things to play with that he can happily eat. Think we will have pasta the night before he comes next week, so he can play with some thats cold.

Keep the ideas coming please, I want to really 'bring' this child on as he makes no effort to do things for himself at the moment. Think he has been carried and picked up a lot

haribo
20-05-2010, 10:48 AM
i mind a ninth month old and when the older ones do craft she sits in her chair and does the same -maybe a simpler version -say they are cutting out she will tear the paper lol and she like paint on her tray and i am introducing sponges etc she loves it . :clapping:

venus89
20-05-2010, 11:29 AM
i mind a ninth month old and when the older ones do craft she sits in her chair and does the same -maybe a simpler version -say they are cutting out she will tear the paper lol and she like paint on her tray and i am introducing sponges etc she loves it . :clapping:

I take it she's not too oral then?! The just one year old I have HAS to have everything in his mouth. It makes craft activities quite stressful for me! We tend to stick with water play or flour.... I have some grass in the sand a water tray at the moment and he even tries to munch his way through that! I'll be watching this thread with interest......

Mookins
28-09-2010, 11:31 AM
been reading this thread with great interest firstly...what is gloop and how where do you get it?
secondly my mindee is a great lover of "testing" things in his mouth as they all do and loves to eat crayons any tips to stop him...other than not give him them?
xxx

Ripeberry
28-09-2010, 12:34 PM
My mindee has only just turned 2yrs old and he still 'mouthes' everything, especially crayons, chalk and he even tries to do it with PVA glue!
Got to watch him like a hawk.

At playgroup today he found a big plastic carrott and kept walking around with it in his mouth (too big to be swallowed), but I still kept taking it off him just in case he fell over and hurt his teeth :(

MissTinkerbell
29-09-2010, 11:58 AM
put a bit of paint on the highchair tray and let him play in that, you could then press a piece of paper onto it so he has something to take home. :)

I did this but used a baking tray - just ideal size for an A4 sheet of paper. Don't like the idea of putting paint onto the same surface that he eats off.

I also put paint and a large wooden ball onto the baking tray and showed him how to roll it - he enjoyed this.

youarewhatyoueat
29-09-2010, 12:08 PM
been reading this thread with great interest firstly...what is gloop and how where do you get it?
secondly my mindee is a great lover of "testing" things in his mouth as they all do and loves to eat crayons any tips to stop him...other than not give him them?
xxx

Gloop is cornflour and water, it has a really weird texture and is great for markmaking.

funfunfun
29-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Gloop is fab all the kids love it .........regardless of age i find its a favourite :)

Chell
29-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I did this but used a baking tray - just ideal size for an A4 sheet of paper. Don't like the idea of putting paint onto the same surface that he eats off.

I also put paint and a large wooden ball onto the baking tray and showed him how to roll it - he enjoyed this.

Sounds good, one of mine loves balls but I fear he would throw a paint cover ball across my dining room. :eek:

Chell
29-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Finger painting ideas here if you want something to link to your theme:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/miscellaneous/fingerprint_characters.htm

We did a blossom tree in spring using our hand/wrist to make the trunk and fingers for the blossom.

I intend to do the same for autumn but with different colours to represent the leaves changing colour/falling. I found a tree trunk template somewhere which I printed to use with the younger children.

In the summer we used hand prints and a paper plate to make a sunshine. The same things works for a Christmas wreath.

The site I linked to above shows how to make a spider with your hand print and some little googly eyes (buy from ebay or a craft shop).

gegele
29-09-2010, 04:52 PM
i did playdough with my lot today, the clingy9 month old in highchair, gave him flour on his tray while i cook it and them we added cinnamon to it.

can do different flavour , smell.:clapping: if he eat a bit never mind lol :clapping: you can't avoid things just because he put in his mouth, just need to keep repeating until the message sinks in lol

give him some pasta to stick in it and tada!! you have a hedge hog LOL

caz3007
29-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I am the OP and glad to see this thread has been resurrected. My LO is now a confident little boy who enjoys coming to me and is happy to do lots of things now. We have done crafty bits and pieces and like the ideas in here, really helpful to move him on a little