PDA

View Full Version : No sun hat, no sun cream - Argh

celdemorg
20-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Why is it so hard to just pop a sun hat and sun cream in the mindees bag :angry:

Do I use my own sun cream on mindees, what if they come out in a reaction, I can't just keep her in all day really can I, so I'm going to have to use my own today are'nt I, what would you do.

Poor little thing has come in a vest, long sleeved top and jumper and jeans, it's gorgeous outside today!!! Other mindee too, has come in a vest, long sleeved top, fleece and thick coat, but has a sun hat on!!!

caz3007
20-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I have a signed permission to use my own suncream if necessary, but do ask parents to supply, but they always seem to forget :angry:

bexcee
20-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I ask my parents to give me a bottle of sun cream and a hat to keep at my house so they don't have to remember them every day.

Mouse
20-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I buy one bottle of suncream that I use for all the children. I tell the parents what sort t is & get their written permission to use it. It saves messing around with lots of different bottles or having to decide what to do it parents forget to put it in.

I also keep a bag of sunhats here, so if parents for get to send one, it's not a problem. And I keep spare clothes so can change children into something cooler if I need to.

Over the years I've found it's easier to do it myself rather than rely on parents :rolleyes: :laughing:

angiemog
20-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I also buy one bottle of suncream and use it on all mindees (i have signed permission for this.) I sent one parent a text to ask if they would send a sun hat the 3 year old arrived and said 'my mummy said I don't need a sun hat!'
This particular day we were going out to the farm for the day. I left a message on another answer phone and again no sun hat! Other parents send 2 hats, cream, sunglasses....... I do have a few spares but really some parents, after all it's not for my benefit, I'm only thinking about their little ones. :angry: :) :)

grindal
20-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I ask parents to supply their own sun cream, but also ask that they apply it in the mornings on warm days - too much to do in the mornings before school runs!
Its hard this time of year deciding what to dress little ones in though. Mine went off to playgroup yesterday morning in long trousers cos it was really cold and by the time I collected them at lunch time it was gorgeous and sunny. I try and keep a spare set of warm weather clothes in the summer for mindees.

miffy
20-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I ask my parents to give me a bottle of sun cream and a hat to keep at my house so they don't have to remember them every day.

I do this too!

Miffy xx

aly
20-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I sent Poppy intoplaygroup this morning withno hat or suncream on...in my defense when we left it was grey.!

mushpea
20-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I sent a letter to the parents and got them to sign a copy so no excuses, it asked them to provide sun hats and cream if they didnt provide them then i would keep the children in the shade when out and at home they wouldnt be allowed outside or would have to wear long sleeves, only one set of parents didnt give cream and i made their children wear cardigans outside, they complained to the parents who promptly gave me suncream!
I dont use my own on other kids because of allergys, my son can only use one type of cream otherwise his excema flares up so i would hate for someone to put cream on him.
I also cant afford to buy cream for other kids and why should i? it dosent take to minutes to buy with their weekly shop.

funemnx
20-05-2010, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=grindal;710806]I ask parents to supply their own sun cream, but also ask that they apply it in the mornings on warm days - too much to do in the mornings before school runs!

I do this too, it can take ages to put cream on half a dozen children!

Tam's Tribe
20-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Me too and it works a treat!!

onceinabluemoon
20-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I have bought sun hats, lightweight rain macs, wellies and suncream so I know I have it, I know I wont get stressed when parents forget it, or think their kids don't need it etc. (parents all sign off on sign cream when LOs start so no probs there)

Suncream (ambre solaire SPF50) cost me about 8 quid a bottle last year and I still have some left, it did me, all my mindees and my own kids, sun hats were £4 each and macs £6 each, , so a total of less than 50 quid (and all through the books of course) my sanity= priceless...

The Juggler
20-05-2010, 08:18 PM
me too. kept all my dd and ds spares and use those for hats and a permission form to use my suncream so I am covered:)

celdemorg
20-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Right, bought sun cream and some spare hats for the mindees who's parent's dont provide.

It's funny I have some parent's who provide soooo much for every eventuallity, and other's I'm lucky to get nappies and wipes in the bag!!

One of those days today, I just felt like having a moan:blush:

Ripeberry
20-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Both my mindees today had thick long sleeved tops on and even coats! It was 16c this morning :rolleyes:
By 4pm my youngest was flagging a bit, but parent had not provided any t-shirts, just another jumper.
So I had to raid my daughter's bedroom, to find a t-shirt she could borrow.
Once she had cooled down she went back to playing.
The other mindee was OK, he had a t-shirt in his bag.
I think this warm weather has caught everyone out, just you wait, next week we will be saying that no warm clothes have been provided (supposed to get colder again :( )

celdemorg
21-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I know yesterday I said I've bought sun cream and I've got a few hats, which is fine I'll use these, but I asked mum if she would mind providing them last night. AGAIN, still nothing in bag :angry: not even a change of clothes, poor little mite is dressed for the Antartic!!

Sorry if I sound I naggy old bag, I'm not, just had a bad week I think, missing my ds he's away on a school trip but he's back tonight:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I need a cuddle off him

xxxx

venus89
21-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I am going to be controversial now.

I have two mindees here today, neither of them with suncream and only one with a sunhat. I'm not putting my own cream on - I thought that wasn't allowed - and both parents have been asked to apply suncream and hat. I think one may later in the year, one won't.

I get around it by playing in the early morning - we were out till about half ten this morning - and putting the most exciting toys in the shady part of the garden to play with after the school run. I figure it's the parents' choice whether or not to suncream the child and my responsibility to ensure that they don't get burnt......

Minstrel
21-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I am going to be controversial now.

I have two mindees here today, neither of them with suncream and only one with a sunhat. I'm not putting my own cream on - I thought that wasn't allowed - and both parents have been asked to apply suncream and hat. I think one may later in the year, one won't.

I get around it by playing in the early morning - we were out till about half ten this morning - and putting the most exciting toys in the shady part of the garden to play with after the school run. I figure it's the parents' choice whether or not to suncream the child and my responsibility to ensure that they don't get burnt......

I agree! My sons school don't check they have suncream and go applying it all day. If we want our children protected (and obviously we all know they will be going outside at playtimes) then it is our responsibility to give them a hat and cream!

margaret
21-05-2010, 02:38 PM
This will be contraversial post

but making a child wear a cardigan because a parent has forgot to put cream/hat in the bag is cruel ,my parents would be absolutely horrified by this,There is lots of ways of getting around suncream issue ,yes its expensive ,but can be put through as business expense,taking it out on child is absolutely awful and definitley not professional.

snufflepuff
21-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Suncream (ambre solaire SPF50) cost me about 8 quid a bottle last year and I still have some left

Just wanted to say that if you look on your suncream bottle it will have a number on it, inside a picture of a tub with the lid off or sometimes inside a triangle.....usually says 12 but sometimes more. This means it should be thrown away after 12 months. It wont be as effective if you use it after this time. You should buy new suncream each year.

auntym
21-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I have a factor 50 in my kitchen cupboard. And one of my policies states, if a parent does not provide suncream I will use my own skin sensative stuff. I also have written that if they sign the policy they are agreeing to that. If they dont then they are to provide their own and confirm this in writing to go in childr folders. Well not one has provided any, they all signed policy so I have used my own.
Nuff said lol x

Ripeberry
21-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to say that if you look on your suncream bottle it will have a number on it, inside a picture of a tub with the lid off or sometimes inside a triangle.....usually says 12 but sometimes more. This means it should be thrown away after 12 months. It wont be as effective if you use it after this time. You should buy new suncream each year.

My husband keep an ancient bottle of suncream in his car, must be about 4yrs old now. Keep trying to 'lose' it for him but he says it works still :rolleyes:

ajs
21-05-2010, 04:59 PM
My husband keep an ancient bottle of suncream in his car, must be about 4yrs old now. Keep trying to 'lose' it for him but he says it works still :rolleyes:

i know they say it goes out of date and def not starting an arguement here but do you think there's a chance that this is put about by the suncream companies who just want us to buy new each year.

i do agree that it will have a use by regardless especially after 4 yrs though

miffy
21-05-2010, 05:06 PM
i know they say it goes out of date and def not starting an arguement here but do you think there's a chance that this is put about by the suncream companies who just want us to buy new each year.

i do agree that it will have a use by regardless especially after 4 yrs though

Quite possibly - a bit like sell by dates on food!

Wouldn't risk using it on a mindee though

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
21-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Thank you, I had no idea it had a sell by date! I always throw it our after its second summer anyway but will now look out for that little mark. Luckily I bought some new stuff yesterday (which funnily enough hasn't got the little tub thing on it!)

Going on from original thread, the other reason I use my own is so I do not have to carry 5 or 6 (or more!) different bottles of sun cream on me in the hols

mushpea
22-05-2010, 04:18 PM
This will be contraversial post

but making a child wear a cardigan because a parent has forgot to put cream/hat in the bag is cruel ,my parents would be absolutely horrified by this,There is lots of ways of getting around suncream issue ,yes its expensive ,but can be put through as business expense,taking it out on child is absolutely awful and definitley not professional.

is it more proffesional to apply my own suncream to the child then she comes out in her excema or an allergic rash?? or maybe its more proffesional to let her go out in the sun and get burnt?
as i said , i know from experiance that not all creams suit all children and i am not about to give a child an allergic reaction or to make her excema worse by applying the wrong cream,,, all the parents had letters explaing this long before the sunny weather.
I also fail to see how letting the child happily play in her cardigan with her friends is cruel!! prehaps it would be kinder to make her play indoors on her own.

PixiePetal
22-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I say I will provide high factor suncream unless they want to provide some for allergies etc, they sign to say they agree. Most parents are happy not to have to remember to supply :thumbsup:

brillminder
22-05-2010, 05:24 PM
what about saying that if suncream is not provided you will get some and add it to their invoice_ that might shake a few up