PDA

View Full Version : Socket covers - good or bad?

RCTLisa
20-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I have been looking in to items that I need to buy and socket covers was on my list but after seeing this website I must admit I am pretty scared of the idea now

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/cover_reviews.html

Mouse
20-05-2010, 08:36 AM
There have been a few posts on here regarding the use of socket covers. The founder of Fatally Flawed has also posted.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55231

I read the reports & when our kitchen was re-wired recently I asked the electrician about it. He agreed with the report & I now don't use socket covers.

Ofsted have given guidance on it & basiacally say it's up to you to decide what you want to do.

RCTLisa
20-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I may need to get an eletrician in to check mine and see if they are all ok before I start and get them signed off or something.

I have quite a few in the living/dining room below waist height.

caz3007
20-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I use them and have done for 20 years, read the reports, but decided to continue

nokidshere
20-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't use them and explained to Mrs Ofsted when she came. It was no problem.

Hebs
20-05-2010, 06:35 PM
i have the covers that go OVER the sockets and can be used with the plugs IN :D

babs
20-05-2010, 06:37 PM
all domestic plugs in the UK have safety devices built into them, i only use safety plugs on extension leads. my dad was an electrician and he always said they were more dangerous as they push in the safety device found in all our plugs here, and to only use on extension leads as some dont have the safety devices in them...

onceinabluemoon
20-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I use the ones that go over the sockets too. I always leave the keys in so they can be removed in an emergency though. They are stiff and too hard for crawlers to undo and older ones know better.

Socketman
21-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi, David of FatallyFlawed here.

We are campaigning to achieve a complete ban on plug-in socket covers as there are so many dangers associated with them. We are always interested when we read forum posts which say that the poster has read the information but prefers to keep using them. It would help our research a lot to understand why people feel that way and we would be grateful for your help.

The most important question is, why do you prefer to use something which is unregulated, untested for insulation characteristics, and for which there is no British Standard? The British socket must pass rigorous safety tests by law, and has always had the means to prevent children accessing the live parts. No responsible bodies have suggested that British sockets are unsafe.

By using a cover you are, at best, replacing that assured safety with an untested substitute, and at worst you are giving children a means of poking objects directly into the live contact BECAUSE you have a cover in place.

Please help us understand this conundrum.

You may post a reply, or contact us directly: contact@fatallyflawed.org.uk

chibault
21-05-2010, 07:55 AM
I phoned ofsted about socket covers because I read the fatally flawed website and told them I thought it was safer not to have them. They told me they follow government advice and that in theirs and the government view they should be used. I am in a quandry, ofsted are telling me they want me to use them, but I don't want to...

Socketman
21-05-2010, 08:53 AM
The official Government advice is at the bottom of this site (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Yourchildssafetyinthehome/DG_10038395) As you can see, they are not encouraging the use of socket covers, and are reminding people that they are unregulated. (Note, a better explanation of covers not preventing children plugging in dangerous devices may be found here (http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/faq.html#Q11).)

Ofsted changed their policy to one of neutrality in December 2008, here is what they told me when I queried them last month:
"In our response (12 December 2008) to your email of 11 December 2008, we made clear our position on the use of socket covers by childcare providers. We neither recommend nor criticise the use of socket covers by childcare providers, only that the environment in which they provide childcare is safe and meets legal requirements. I am sorry to hear that you think that Ofsted inspectors are showing disapproval when socket covers are not in use. If you are able to provide more details of when this is happening, we can follow this up with the inspector or inspectors concerned."

FatallyFlawed is happy to pass any details of transgressions to Ofsted. Please let us have any details that you can.

WibbleWobble
21-05-2010, 09:13 AM
dont have them, never had them, wont have them!

They make an already safe system dangerous!

When Mrs O came to do my pre reg visit she didnt even look at the sockets...and i was ready with all the stuff about the covers!

mandy xxx

JJAY
24-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the info. everyone, wasn'e aware of any of this. Read the direct.gov. sight and this states that covers are unregulated and not needed. Thanks

ajs
24-05-2010, 09:44 PM
i seem to be quoting my hubby a lot tonight
he worked in lighting design in a previous life and has always said that socket covers cause more problems then they solve, i do use them but that is because i started minding before it was proved that they weren't needed and had them in place anyway