PDA

View Full Version : Gun Licence

hayleychildcare
19-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Does anyone or there partners have one???

My darling:angry: husband has got a new friend :panic: and he has now decided that he needs a gun licence so he can go shooting on this new mates farm :angry:

Ive told him i dont want a gun in my house but what do i know:angry:

Im going to phone Ofsted next week and ask them if they would be happy with a childminder having a gun in the house.

I know to get a licence it has to be kept properly in locked box etx...
Im so angry with him, but he just isnt listening to my side of the argument he has this stupid idea in his head and thats it :angry:

mamasheshe
19-05-2010, 05:59 PM
does he really need his own ??????? men hey:rolleyes:

Roseolivia
19-05-2010, 06:01 PM
We have a couple of guns as my partner is into shooting. They're kept in a locked guncabinet in a room which also locks if needed. Ofsted were fine about this because to have a gun licence you need to be regularly checked by the police. I also tell parents that we have guns in the house and show them where they're kept so they know that they're safe.

angiemog
19-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Does he have to keep it at your house? If he is only going to use it at his mate's farm then couldn't it stay there? I wouldn't want it in my house either..... x

hayleychildcare
19-05-2010, 06:05 PM
APPARENTLY ........... to use a gun anywhere you need it licenced to your home address so the police know where it is kept and who is using it:angry:

WHY carnt he want to breed budgies instead ................. lol.
or collect stamps............. or train spotting :laughing:

miss mopple
19-05-2010, 06:29 PM
My husband is a firearms officer but luckily keeps his guns at work :laughing:

I cant see ofsted having a problem if its 100% secure and properly risk assessed, but I wouldn't want one in my house either.

sarah707
19-05-2010, 06:43 PM
He will need a lockable metal cabinet fixed to the wall... and of course a licence.

You will need a risk assessment and probably the room it's in is best locked during working hours.

I would tell Ofsted once he's ready to apply for the licence - which can take some time to go through.

Be aware some parents are not happy about guns in houses, even locked away and you might lose some work because of them - that one happened to me many moons ago as ex used to have guns!!

Ofsted might want to come out and inspect where the guns are going to be put, the cabinet etc.

Hth :D

hayleychildcare
19-05-2010, 06:56 PM
His licence has been sent off. Officer coming out on 4th June to see him. I intent to be there and make things as hard for him as possible.:angry:

Ive just tried talking to him abuut it again and all i get is it will be kept away and safe and blah blah blah.
He just isnt hearing
"i dont want a gun in our house with my children" " you selfish self centred man"
Feel a bit better after that :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
19-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Don't worry, it is all well regulated.

My DH (farmer) has just had his renewal visit from firearms officer, all ok of course :) A friend of his had moved and they came for his check at new house - the bolts pulled out of the wall and he was told off by the female officer :blush: Had to sort it immediately and have another visit.

He will have to follow the rules which are strict - only he will have access to keys for gun cabinet, you and everyone else are not allowed to have access to the keys either. I forget they are even there as he has had guns for years, my kids have grown up to respect guns and enjoy the countryside and all that goes with it.

Not everyones cup of tea I realise but each to their own.:)

AnnieM
19-05-2010, 09:59 PM
My DH had had shotguns for years, he goes Clay Pigeon shooting. He renewed this month so last Friday he had his inspection from the firearms officer. They are extremely thorough, the guns have to be kept in a locked metal cabinet which is bolted to the wall/floor, ours is bolted to both. The keys for the cabinet have to be kept seperately, ours are hidden on a different floor of the house and even I don't know where they are. Cartridges should also be kept seperately from the guns, to be honest we don't always have cartridges in the house, which I am happier about. I personally was very worried when DH first got the guns, but then our DS was only 2 and it worried me from a mothers point of view, I have however got used to it and no longer even think about it, the cabinet is totally hidden from view so you would really have to search the house to find it. He has kept them in the house for over 19 years and never had a cause for concern.

Tina O
20-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Guns on there own are not dangerous, its when 'silly' people get hold of them the problems starts!!! (note: I'm not calling anyones hubby silly!)

I'm lucky as my hubby's are stored at work....... but i grew up with them and don't have a problem with guns.. as I said it's people who don't know what they are doing and act crazy that are the problem....

mandy moo
20-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Tell me, those who have a Fire Arms licence, how often is it renewed?

AnnieM
20-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I thought it was 4 years, but just read online and it says 5 years. My DH's is a Shotgun Certificate though not a Firearms, they are different, as one is obviously just for shotguns, the other is for all firearms, rifles, handguns etc.

mandy moo
20-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I thought it was 4 years, but just read online and it says 5 years. My DH's is a Shotgun Certificate though not a Firearms, they are different, as one is obviously just for shotguns, the other is for all firearms, rifles, handguns etc.

Is shot gun the same amount of time then, coz Im sure my Dh's must be up for renewal soon then?

flora
20-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't worry, it is all well regulated.

My DH (farmer) has just had his renewal visit from firearms officer, all ok of course :) A friend of his had moved and they came for his check at new house - the bolts pulled out of the wall and he was told off by the female officer :blush: Had to sort it immediately and have another visit.

He will have to follow the rules which are strict - only he will have access to keys for gun cabinet, you and everyone else are not allowed to have access to the keys either. I forget they are even there as he has had guns for years, my kids have grown up to respect guns and enjoy the countryside and all that goes with it.

Not everyones cup of tea I realise but each to their own.:)

I was gonna say the same pixie.

I know you obviously have strong feeling about this Hayley but , as he will have to follow very stringent rules to be allowed one you probably have far more hazardous things about that you don't worry about.

PixiePetal
20-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Is shot gun the same amount of time then, coz Im sure my Dh's must be up for renewal soon then?

My DH has both licenses, will ask him......BRB

He says he thinks it's both 5 years.

mandy moo
21-05-2010, 06:44 AM
My DH has both licenses, will ask him......BRB

He says he thinks it's both 5 years.

Thank you:D

Erika
22-05-2010, 06:41 PM
The husband of a Childminder I previously used had guns - he was a gamekeeper. The authorities were fine with this (obviously a a result of the job he did the keeping of the guns were well regulated). They were in a locaked cabinet and the children had no access. It was also recommended that she advise her mindees parents that guns were in the house.