PDA

View Full Version : Towels and flannels

jellybean cc
19-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Another question i'm afread .

On my ICP i was told that i need one flannel and one handtowel hanging up for the children then after lunch when they are all cleaned these go into wash and clean go up. This is repeated after tea. Unless a child is ill when they must have there own. We have 3 hooks drilled into the wall ready. One towel, one flannel and a spare.

This week i had a pre-OFSTED inspection by my local lady who said each child must have there own towel and flannel hung up, which is changed daily.
This would mean between 6 or 10 hooks fixed up in the bathroom depending how many i am registered for.

Before i start fixing hooks everywhere i thought i would ask you all what you do?

charliegee
19-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey hun

Personally I use only paper towel (kitchen roll stuff!) - as it saves me washing towels and it can be hygenically disposed of

if you do chose to use towels / flannels I do belive it has to be a clean towel / flannel changed daily for each child - no sharing towels if that makes sense

my ofsted inspector was more than happy with kitchen roll as opposed to towels - saves electricity / water and also your time and naturally a business expense so you can claim it back

(hope that's right - just done my accounts!!! :laughing: )

x

Joannechildmind
19-05-2010, 10:07 AM
i have a wicker basket full of rolled up towel i ask the children when they 1st use the toilet to pick a towel (they all have different pictures sewn on) for the day then thats there own one, at the end f the day i wash them all and are ready for next day.

FizzysFriends
19-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I just have a basket of flannels next to the sink and they use one and put it in the bin under the sink, which is emptied into the washing machine at the end of the day.

ZoeAlli
19-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I have one towel and one flannel per child that I mind. I don't wash them until the end of the week! At the moment the children I mind don't use them very much as they are at nursery for half of the time and when with me only use it a few times a day and I refuse to wash a towel that has hardly been used- not environmentally friendly!! Again the baby has their own towel (which at present is used once in a blue moon)and cloth. The babies cloth gets changed every couple of days and again these are washed at the end of the week. I wash all the towels and cloths at 60 degrees and add napisan to the cycle!
Hth :)

Curly Quavers
19-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I just have a basket of flannels next to the sink and they use one and put it in the bin under the sink, which is emptied into the washing machine at the end of the day.

This is what I do I refuse to drill holes all over my bathroom also I find this much easier to police if you like becuase you don't have to worry about them using each other they just take a fresh one every time.

Chimps Childminding
19-05-2010, 10:28 AM

This is what I do! I buy the pack of white flannels from Ikea. They sit in a basket on top of the toilet cistern. The children take one, dry their hands and then pop it in a small pedal bin next to the sink for washing at the end of the day (or next day depending on number of children)

charliegee
19-05-2010, 10:32 AM
:blush: :blush: I feel really lazy using kitchen roll now!

anyone else use kitchen roll?!

x

Toothfairy
19-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I use paper towels. :thumbsup:

ruby
19-05-2010, 11:08 AM
i have hooks on the back of the bathroom door
different colour towels etc for each child also have a poster with the colours and childs name in case they/me forget which colour is theirs

Minstrel
19-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I bought a plastic towel ring with 6 hooks on it. It has an opening so i attach it to the end of my bathroom towel rail and hang each childs towel from a diff hook.

They are brightly coloured so even little ones know which one is theirs and it always stays the same.

I wash them on a friday and inspector said this was fine as they are only used by one child.

moogster1a
19-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I have one towel hung up which everyone uses and it gets changed each day. As they spend all day pawing at each other and hugging/ kissing, I don't see why I have to be so pedantic after they've washed their hands. Surely there's very little risk of passing on germs etc. straight after washing?

TheBTeam
19-05-2010, 11:44 AM
i have hooks on the back of the bathroom door
different colour towels etc for each child also have a poster with the colours and childs name in case they/me forget which colour is theirs

I used to do this then spotted that they still picked a different colour if they fancied it!:rolleyes: So i now just have them all in a pile and they pick one and use it and then put it to wash, then next time they pick another, that way they can have all the colours they like!

sweets
19-05-2010, 11:51 AM
i refuse to wash a towel or flannel that has only been used once to dry clean hands!

i only have one child using the bathroom at the mo as the others are babies (clean their hands with a wipe)

the one that uses the bathroom comes on two consecutive days a week so he has his own towel hanging over the bath that is washed after the 2 days.

if i had lots of children using the bathroom then they would all share one towel that would be changed daily.

we have homes not nurseries and im sure most people have a hand towel in the bathroom that all the family share!

amanda1309
19-05-2010, 11:59 AM

I do this also. a pile of flannels undedr the sink and bin at other side of bathroom where they put the used ones. OFSTED were fine with this when they came in dec 2009

sonia ann
19-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I use suction hooks ( so no drilling) on the back of the toilet door, each child has an ikea flannel and a laminated label with their name.
The flannels are changed routinely weekly or as necessary.(usually more often):)
The hooks are spaced apart so the flannels do not touch each other.

Monkey26
19-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I have a paper towel dispenser thing, it cost me under £20 and is sooooo much easier and friendlier on the environment :-) Heres the link - http://www.justgloves.co.uk/paper-disposables/flat-packed-paper-towels.aspx
xx

SammyM
19-05-2010, 01:01 PM
From past experience I found that if you have 6 towels hung up in the loo, the kiddies will all grab the one nearest to them!!!

So I use this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90072648

It hangs over my towel rail and I fill it with paper towels which the litle ones then throw away.

Perfect - Job Done!!

:clapping: :eek: :clapping:

mummyof3
19-05-2010, 01:10 PM
At my recent ofsted inspection I had all the flannels and towels lined up and she turned to me and said 'what a waste of your time' get a kitchen roll on the side they can all use that. So that is what I have done ever since!!

The Juggler
19-05-2010, 01:13 PM
i have a stock of clean flannels in my drawer. I use a clean one ONCE and put it in the wash. I don't care who's it is, they are clean:p older children use kitchen roll or wash hands and (shock horror) we share a towel. It's in the bathroom and I change it regularly.

I keep on in the kitchen and one in the toilet.

sandy64
19-05-2010, 01:29 PM
hi i have sticky hooks on wall in toilet each child has there own hook with a there name and picture on towel is washed every 2 days. i dont use flannels they use baby wipes for faces:)

carol cameron
19-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I have used kitchen roll for years so you are not alone! I have a small pedal bin in the bathroom that the children put it in afterwards so they don't try and put it in the loo. It's worked for Ofsted too and I have always had the top grade at every inspection so far so must be ok:) ! Carolx

jellybean cc
19-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks think i will start with a load of flannels in a basket and a bin for used ones.

Monkey1
19-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I use suction hooks ( so no drilling) on the back of the toilet door, each child has an ikea flannel and a laminated label with their name.
The flannels are changed routinely weekly or as necessary.(usually more often):)
The hooks are spaced apart so the flannels do not touch each other.

This is what we have done but they have their photo above the towels so even the younger ones know whos is whos

sonia ann
19-05-2010, 05:56 PM
This is what we have done but they have their photo above the towels so even the younger ones know whos is whos

forgot to say there is also a picture beside their name............(the same picture as on their ELJ folder)........so the little ones know their own picture before they do their name:)

Dragonfly
19-05-2010, 06:53 PM
using all this paper/kitchen roll is it good for the enviroment?? I have parents that work in microbiology and have never had a problem with 1 towel in the downstairs wc and change it everyday more if needs be:thumbsup:

zillervalley
19-05-2010, 07:26 PM
paper ones for me

Lincsminder
19-05-2010, 07:44 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/iancar/bath.jpg

This is my toilet door. I change these regularly depending on the child, so for a child that just comes 30 min before school and doesn't use the toilet it gets changed weekly. But my own 3 year old who is a mucky little thing has his changed a couple of times aday.
Then I have a large tub in the kitchen full of clean flannels which I wet to wipe their hands and mouths after meals and these get dropped in a bag with the t- towels which I also get through a lot of, and put in the washing machine every other day.

Chimps Childminding
19-05-2010, 07:53 PM
hi i have sticky hooks on wall in toilet each child has there own hook with a there name and picture on towel is washed every 2 days. i dont use flannels they use baby wipes for faces:)

Thats what I used to have, but was told I couldn't necessarily guarantee the children picking the right towel even if it had their picture above it :rolleyes: hence the basket of flannels so they just help themselves to one and then put it to wash!!

PixiePetal
19-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks think i will start with a load of flannels in a basket and a bin for used ones.

works for me :thumbsup:

birch24
19-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Thats what I do too

:jump for joy:

moljak
19-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Loving the ideas ladies.Flannels is prob going to be my choice but I was just wondring If i had a paper towel dispenser and used that would the used papers be able to go into my garden compost bin?

ajs
19-05-2010, 08:13 PM

same for me and i wash them daily, although training the youngest not to take the towel out of the bin is proving fun:panic:

Dragonfly
19-05-2010, 08:30 PM
yes I believe you can put paper towel on the compost heap.maybe check with manufacturer?

monkey62
19-05-2010, 08:51 PM
3 small towels for £1 from wilkinson, 6 different colours ... each child has one colour and I keep them in a child level shelf. I change them daily.
In a kitchen I use only paper rolls.

polly0
19-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I would personally use kitchen roll if i had to, (when Ofsted visit) but at the moment they use the towel that is in the bathroom and it is changed at the end of the day. I would like to know what the children pick up from sharing these towels, in nurseries I can understand as there are so many children and they don't wash their hands properly, but with childminders they are took to the bathroom (unlike nurseries) and taught how to wash their hands!:p

merry
20-05-2010, 06:06 AM
:blush: :blush: I feel really lazy using kitchen roll now!

anyone else use kitchen roll?!

x

I use kitchen roll too, each child used to have their own towel all different colours, but half the time they'd forget which one was theirs and just use the nearest anyway. I got sick of washing 12 towels every day and using so much extra electricity, water and washing chemicals all the time.

:)

Tina O
20-05-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm glad to read the differences!! I have been using towels and flannels on hooks inthe bathroom and yes have the problem that the kids just glad any..... I have even made sure the cm ones are white and my guest ones are pink BUT I am seriously giving some thought to paper towels........ thx xx

nokidshere
20-05-2010, 06:32 AM
One towel here - everyone uses it.

onceinabluemoon
20-05-2010, 06:33 AM
I too have a basket of flannels that the little ones use as towels and then throw in the bucket for washing after each use. (I use environmentally friendly wash liquid so little impact on environment)

I got the idea of somebody on here when I first stated minding (possibly Sarah Nev?) and the inspector said it was brill. She said that in her experience a child will use the nearest towel to them regardless of whose it is.

My own family share a towel which gets washed often, we never seem to go down with anything unless the mindees have brought it in in the first place, lol!

miss mopple
20-05-2010, 06:41 AM
For towels I use flannels on hooks (sucker ones that stick to the side of the bath that I can put away when not working) and for flannels I use fleece wipes, one per use and chucked straight in the wash. They are fab and so much better for the environment than wet wipes :thumbsup: I use eco balls for washing them.

suzyblue
20-05-2010, 07:04 AM
I use a paper towel dispenser. The paper towels last forever as only the schoolers use the loo and then it might get used twice a day. I dont have room in my downstairs loo for loads of towels, flannels and hooks.

miffy
20-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Basket of Ikea flannels here too for handwashing.

Miffy xx