PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes...how are they doing ??

It's a small world
18-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi

Just wondering how everyones potatoes are doing? Mine seem to be doing alright :eek: .. The leaves etc are soo big now cant wait to dig them up :clapping: Will try and download a piccie tomorrow..

Gizmo
18-05-2010, 08:52 PM
mine are doing well too, dont think I put enough compost in the bag though so might not get a big crop but will be happy if I get any :clapping:

francinejayne
18-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Mine are huge!!! Well, at least the leaf bit is, no idea how the actual potatoes are doing?!?!

Daisy1956
18-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I planted mine a bit later bu.t are doing well hoping for a good crop

ORKSIE
18-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Mine are huge....but dont you have to wait till they have a flower till you dig em up:huh:

This is my first year:)

teacake2
18-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Mine are huge too, and the flowers are just beginning to develop, when they have died down and the leaves wilting then they should be ready:laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

babs
18-05-2010, 09:41 PM
i have one word for mine ......BUSHY..............

clio0602
18-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Mine are doing well too Can't wait for the kids to dig them up. Better get looking for some easy child friendly potato recipes!!!

little miss chatterbox
18-05-2010, 09:58 PM
i planted mine later but they are doing ok! not growing over the bag yet but we have a few little stalks and leaves emerging!

Roseolivia
19-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Mine are doing really well too. Very tall and bushy, sometimes hard to get in and water them. No sign of flowers yet on mine.

ORKSIE
19-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Mine are huge too, and the flowers are just beginning to develop, when they have died down and the leaves wilting then they should be ready:laughing: :laughing:
Teacake2

I have no flowers yet, not even a bud:(

dobby
19-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Ahh I was just going to post about the potatos. Mine are also very lush and growing well over the bag, but again no flowers? I have never grown potatos before but surely the flowers need to have come for the potatos to be anything like mature enough to harvest?

Its not long to go if you planted on the official date either ??

rickysmiths
09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
My potatoes have gone mad!!!:eek:

I have never grown them before. We planted them at the end of April, the bags are now full of compost but the plants are as tall above the bag now as the bag is tall (does that make sense?). We have watered during the dry weather and the wet because the leaves are so thick I don't think the rain would get through!

I feel as if We should be picking shoots off like you do with tomatoes. Is it alright to leave them with the loads of greenery?

Sorry I dont know how to attach a photo.

Advise would be gratfully received from one of you seasoned growers please.

sillysausage
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
One of mine is doing great but the other got badly caught with frost in May and hasn't caught up yet. I don't think they'll be ready to harvest on the 22nd June though.

These are supposed to be early/new potatoes so you don't need to wait until they have flowered before harvesting. A better way of telling is to scoop back some of the compost to see how big any little potatoes are. If they are tiny then cover them back up and leave them alone for a few weeks.

PixiePetal
09-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks sillysausage! will have a peep:thumbsup: no flowers seen yet:rolleyes:

caz3007
09-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Ours got planted quite a bit later, but they are really bushy and doing well. I have both LO's tomorrow, so if its not raining, may have little look and see how the potatoes are doing

It's a small world
09-06-2010, 05:25 PM
My stalks are high and leaves bushy not sure how they are going to be as in one big tub. Really nervous :laughing: about if there are any. Hope I don't have salad size pots not bothered about the comp etc be just nice to mindees faced if we have big ones :laughing: keep you posted

Gizmo
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I have got 3 flowers on mine I noticed them on Sunday :clapping: :clapping:

pinklady
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Mine are big and bushy with flower buds :D