PDA

View Full Version : Stressed - parent been sacked

Kel04
18-05-2010, 01:27 PM
:panic: Just had text message from parent to say she has been sacked from her job.

So stressed and panicky now as I had her LO full time and only have one after schooler for a few days a week so now I have no income.

She hasn't given me notice just said she needs "to speak to social" (whatever that means!!) so I'm in limbo at the moment...anyone give me any suggestions what I should do? She owes me money for day worked yesterday, do I advise re notice etc (don't want to add more stress to her, although she hasn't been very reliable at work so I think it was kind of expected) :(

Worried about my financial status now...have been looking on Childcare.co for any placements but it seems dead at the moment. Not sure I'm gonna cope!! HELP!!!

Straws
18-05-2010, 02:52 PM
There is not really anything you can do except advertise, I doubt you will get any notice money either,sorry I aint much help

Straws xx

Toothfairy
18-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Sending Hugs [[[[[HUGS]]]]]

carol cameron
18-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Does she get tax credits for her childcare? you are entitled to notice so she should be able to pay you. Also is her dismissal instant or with effect from... She might still get paid for another few weeks without actually going into work. Sometimes though you just have to hope you get paid at all and forget any notice period. :( Good luck with the advertising.

Kel04
18-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm presuming her dismissal was instant and I know she does get tax credits.

Any suggestions for advertising....I gave my cards into my local school weeks ago but they've just been tossed to one side...I have advertised on all the usual websites eg childcare.co.uk etc!!!

:(

Minstrel
18-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I thought i'd read before that tax credits do a 4 week 'run on' period to help with times of change. Worth asking about.

miffy
18-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I thought i'd read before that tax credits do a 4 week 'run on' period to help with times of change. Worth asking about.

Minstrel is right - look at this link

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/keep-up-to-date/changes-affect/work-changes/temporary-gaps.htm#5

You should get your 4 weeks notice money

Miffy xx

cuffleygirl
18-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Where are you? can anyone pass on enquires?

Kel04
18-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Minstrel is right - look at this link

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/keep-up-to-date/changes-affect/work-changes/temporary-gaps.htm#5

You should get your 4 weeks notice money

Miffy xx

Thanks Miffy...I've been searching the Tax Credit website for the run-on period but unsuccessfully!!! You're a great help.

Not looking forward to bringing 4 week notice period up with parent (worried she may become confrontational).

Bushpig
18-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Do you have a deposit from when they started? This would help if you aren't bale to get notice money... but by the sounds of it, it looks like you are. I hope so :thumbsup:

I have only ever advertised on netmums and childcare.co.uk, and ensured the FIS are aware I have a vacancy as and when I do.

The Juggler
19-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks Miffy...I've been searching the Tax Credit website for the run-on period but unsuccessfully!!! You're a great help.

Not looking forward to bringing 4 week notice period up with parent (worried she may become confrontational).

well if she get's tax credits then she has the money to at least pay you what they fund.

Ripeberry
19-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Bet you'll be glad to see the back of this parent. She must be hard to deal with if she manages to get herself sacked on the spot :(
What if she gets a new job straight away? ....Maybe not.

Kel04
19-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah parent wasn't very reliable at work took a lot of sick days etc but wouldn't say glad to see her go as she is my only source of income at the moment (or should I say was!!!).

Spoke to NCMA today for advice; have to admit was a little shocked when the woman told me that sending a text message was classed as giving notice in writing :( (even though the text message just said "I've been sacked!"). Telephoned mum today to ask if she is terminating contract; she said think she is probably going to have to so advised her that she is still under contract and will have to pay the 4 week notice period and also advised her that tax credits should still pay for 4 weeks. She said ok and will try and pay when she gets it!! Anyway have put in writing to her today.

Just got to find some placements now ASAP otherwise I'm going to be 'up that creek without a paddle'!!! :(

The Juggler
19-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Spoke to NCMA today for advice; have to admit was a little shocked when the woman told me that sending a text message was classed as giving notice in writing :( (even though the text message just said "I've been sacked!").

that's ridiculous!

Telephoned mum today to ask if she is terminating contract; she said think she is probably going to have to so advised her that she is still under contract and will have to pay the 4 week notice period and also advised her that tax credits should still pay for 4 weeks. She said ok and will try and pay when she gets it!! Anyway have put in writing to her today. Remind her that the tax credit money is for the childcare contract and it is not an option to try to pay you with it - that is what it's for! however, appreciate you'll probably get comments like, how am I supposed to feed my kids etc but then if she's you're only contract you are in same boat - you didn't get sacked did you. However, if she got sacked for sick leave she needs to see citizen's advice, there are strict laws about that - she might have a case.

Just got to find some placements now ASAP otherwise I'm going to be 'up that creek without a paddle'!!! :(

hope you find someone soon honx

Kel04
19-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Hope I find someone too.

Though I don't think Citizen Advice would help her...much of her sick leave wasn't warranted...she admitted to me that sometimes she just couldn't be bothered to go in and on one occasion used me as an excuse not to go to work (apparently I was ill though it was news to me :mad:)!

Oh well I must try and keep my chin up (maybe the chilled bottle in my fridge will do the trick :) and keep plugging away at advertising.

Ripeberry
19-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Sending new parent vibes your way :) :thumbsup: