PDA

View Full Version : What to do witha nappy?

jellybean cc
18-05-2010, 09:59 AM
We have are only one rubbish bin per house where i live and it is empted once a fortnight. I have been advised to have a small bin for each child in nappies in my toilet and at the end of the day to hand back all used nappies to parents. I can see the sense behind this but it sounds horrible.
"Here you child back and a bag full of dirty and wet nappies" each day.

DO other childminders do this and do parents understand ok?

Twinklestars
18-05-2010, 10:46 AM
doesn't sound very nice idea, of course if they were using reuseables you would have to do this, sure someone will have some good advice :)

ajs
18-05-2010, 10:52 AM
my main green bin gets emptied once every two weeks too but i empty the house bins and put the rubbish outside daily.
no i do not think it's nice to store used nappies and hand them out at the end of the day.
nappies are the downside of the job and we must dispose of them ourselves i believe

AliceK
18-05-2010, 11:04 AM
As a parent I wouldn't have been too happy if my childminder had handed me back a handful of wet / dirty nappies at the end of the day :eek: . As a childminder I wouldn't dream of doing this. I put them out with my own rubbish.

xxxxxx

Mouse
18-05-2010, 11:04 AM
If I was paying for childcare, I would not expect to be handed a bag of dirty nappies at the end of the day & asked to dispose of them myself :eek:

And as a cm, I wouldn't want dirty nappies left in my house all day. As soon as I've changed a nappy it goes in the outside bin.

Obviously I do send home re-useable nappies & parents provide a bag for me to collect them in during the day.

I'm not sure what the answer is for you, but personally I wouldn't send nappies home.

angiemog
18-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't send nappies home. My general rubbish bin gets emptied one a fortnight too and the recycling one in between. I did read someone on here puts them in a bin on the way to the school! I always make sure I'm recycling as much as I can..... I find my bin doesn't ever gert full unless I have alot of garden rubbish. I have 2 or 3 in nappies every day. x

venus89
18-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Mine's also collected fortnightly and all the nappies go in it (straight away - I never keep them in the house until the end of the day) Obviously they take up a bit of space but not enough to be a problem.....

grindal
18-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't send nappies home. My general rubbish bin gets emptied one a fortnight too and the recycling one in between. I did read someone on here puts them in a bin on the way to the school! I always make sure I'm recycling as much as I can..... I find my bin doesn't ever gert full unless I have alot of garden rubbish. I have 2 or 3 in nappies every day. x

Thats me - its not quite as bad as it sounds! My mindee nearly always arrives in a pooey nappy so I change him and take the nappy on the playgroup run (which we do about 15 mins after he arrives). If he does another poo in the morning I will often take the nappy when I go back to collect DS1 at midday. Same goes with DS2s nappies. And any bones or chicken carcasses :eek: as the foxes are lethal around here and rip open bin bags and push bins over to get at them.
Our bins are collected weekly, but even with recycling and composting we seem to produce loads of rubbish.

Mookins
18-05-2010, 04:37 PM
where we are there is a collection you can arrange for nappies!
it does cost but if it saves space on your bin, and you can claim it back it may well be worth it!

xx x x

miffy
18-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Our bins are emptied fortnightly too.

I don't like the idea of giving dirty nappies back to parents - can't think many of them would like being given a bag full of dirty nappies when they arrive either!

Miffy xx

jellybean cc
18-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all your answer and i agree with you. As a parent myself the thought of being handed a bag of used nappies was horrible but as i future childminder i wanted to see what you all did.

Think that might be one bit of advice from the ICP introduction course i will try to avoid doing

Gizmo
18-05-2010, 06:05 PM
There is a cm near me that puts her dirty nappies in the dog poo bin on the way to school :D

onceinabluemoon
18-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I did, I had no choice!

Our wheelie bins are tiny (half normal size), they are emptied fortnightly. I can get 4 sacks from my brabantia bin in and its full, the bin men will not empty it if the lid is even slightly opened. We have a family of three adult sized people, a dog, 2 cats and rabbits (all of which generate rubbish).

I had 3 FT under twos which an average of 5 nappy changes a day each (15 a day) that worked out as 150 nappies in my bin a fortnight.

I asked the council for a bigger or a second bin and they refused. I do not drive and have no way of getting nappies to the tip. There is no nappy collection service here. I'm pretty sure putting your day's nappies into a street bin would count as fly tipping which is against the law so didn't want to do that either (remember we're talking about 15 nappies a day not one or two whilst you're out and about).

I explained to all the parents that every fortnight our bin was literally half full of nappies and asked if they minded if I sent nappies home every day or of they preferred to use real nappies I would wash them. They were fine about it and chose to carry on using disposables. I double wrapped them all in decent nappy bags and then in carriers. Once the children were older and used less nappies (or left) I went back to binning them here.

If you really do not have space for them in your bin, talk to the parents and ask if you can send them home, or even just the wet ones if that would help. They are presumably coming in from your district so would know the situation re bins etc.

mamasheshe
18-05-2010, 06:44 PM
i just put mine in the bin outside i do know CMs who put really yucky ones in bins on the way to school or in the dog poo bin ingenious :D i wouldn't give them to a parent to take home.

Rubybubbles
18-05-2010, 07:19 PM
There is a cm near me that puts her dirty nappies in the dog poo bin on the way to school :D

:D I do that, as they is 5 dog bins one for each set of houses (approx 8 in each culdersack!) It does depend on with bin week it is though! If black bins are due then I will put in mine:laughing:

At least that way there are not put on the land fill:idea: