PDA

View Full Version : toys - bit a moan

emmadines
18-05-2010, 06:54 AM
why is it minded children dont seem to give two hoots about whats in your home, they've broken toys, sometimes they do it when you are in front of them, 1 mindee has pulled bits of foam off of a chair in my conservatory (the cover was in thhe was due to spillage), etc etc etc.....

im not saying my two are angels but they know they are in so much bother if i catch them... plus its their toys so would normally be careful with them as they know i wont replace them....

im getting really fed up of things getting broken and generally not being looked after..... the mindees in question range between 6 and 8.

Emma

sandy64
18-05-2010, 06:57 AM
i no there probably same ones who jump on furniture and throw cushions.i use to have it with older ones. not nice id tell them if they cant play nicely with your toys they will not get to play with there favorite things.

emmadines
18-05-2010, 06:58 AM
have dont that befor, im just getting to the point were i really want out, i want my home back.

huggableshelly
18-05-2010, 07:00 AM
start removing things they like to play with when they break anything, go right back to basics with paper and crayons instead then introduce toys with a chat about how to look after them or they will be put away again.

Create a set of childrens rules with them, ask them for their input such as playing carefully with toys, helping eachother, remembering to walk in the house, and so on then when they break a rule point them to the list that they helped to create, ask them what they think they have done that you are not happy with and explain to them that toys cost money, if they get broken they will not be replaced and they eill have nothing nice to play with whilst at your home.

AnnieM
18-05-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm afraid if any children disrespect my toys or property, they are given a box of the 'old' books and asked to sit quietly somewhere (on the floor if they are disrespecting my furniture) and look at those until it's time to go home, I always explain exactly why I am doing this and I then have a word or two with their parents as to why I did this, before the kids get their first..... :cool: It has worked for me in the past and I rarely get things broken now, I just threaten them with the consequences. Things cost far too much money to keep replacing and I don't earn that much, so I want MY things looking after within reason, obviously if something gets broken accidentaly or damaged through wear and tear then that's different, but if they are doing it on purpose and are old enough to know better then I pu the above into action.

The Juggler
18-05-2010, 01:11 PM
my older ones who start jumping on sofas or behaving like this with toys get to sit in kitchen with me whilst I prepare tea. They can draw or play a game but they have to sit where I can see them. They hate that they are being 'watched' but usually end up having a nice time drawing or playing cards.

venus89
18-05-2010, 01:14 PM
When they break toys if you replace them do you count it as wear and tear or would you put the toy in your accounts book as an expense?

The Juggler
18-05-2010, 01:17 PM
When they break toys if you replace them do you count it as wear and tear or would you put the toy in your accounts book as an expense?

if i buy something new it goes an expense without question.

loocyloo
18-05-2010, 01:19 PM
we had all the wooden blocks out yesterday - and i don't know who put them away - but when we got them out today there was a wooden bar from one of my childrens chairs in the box :eek: :mad:

shall be having words with my afterschool children, as if one of the little ones had done it, they would tell me or just leave it lying there! i suspect someone heavy stood on the bar and it snapped off and they 'hid' it. also, cos if someone putting the blocks away had found it, they would have said as they would know it doesn't go in there!

i think i shall start with the 'oh my goodness, we found the chair was broken, i wonder how that happened' and see what response i get!

venus89
18-05-2010, 01:25 PM
if i buy something new it goes an expense without question.

Thanks you - I had a bad week a couple of weeks ago when 3 toys got broken within two days... One was the toy hoover that they all love and I wanted to replace it but I was a bit reticent abotu doing so if it came ou of my own pocket rather than being a business exense......

Straws
18-05-2010, 03:28 PM
It does annoy me when things get broken, I have just been outside and found a storage box with a big hole in the bottom of course no ones admittted to breaking it.

Straws xx