PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your own childrens room???

luiza.t
17-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I live in a 2 bedroom flat and if I decide to become a childminder I will have to use my daughters bedroom as well. Just wondering what people experiences are and if it will affect my daughter that much...

beccas
17-05-2010, 08:04 PM
i dont because that is my childs private space and its somewhere they can go if they dont want to be near mindees but mine are 12 10 and 5

miss mopple
17-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I use them for sleeping but other than that the mindees arent allowed in there at all. My kids are 10 and 4 and I think its important they have their own space to play. Naps usually fall when my 2 are at school so its not a problem

gigglinggoblin
17-05-2010, 08:11 PM
No I wouldnt, we have a rule that any toys they dont want touching go in their rooms and mindees are allowed in by invitation only. Naps should be ok if they are in a cot. You wouldnt necessarily have to use her room, less space will mean you might not be allowed as many mindees but its more important to be sure your dd is ok with them being there

luiza.t
17-05-2010, 08:16 PM
So do you have a spare room only for the business or use your sitting room???
Actually I am planning to mind only one child...My 3 year old loves having kids around to play with her but I dont know id it will change once it is a business...

gigglinggoblin
17-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I use our living room and dining room. As I have small children of my own I havent had to change anything. It has been very positive for us and all my kids really love having mindees round to play, very rarely get complaints

The Juggler
17-05-2010, 08:32 PM
only for sleeping unless they invite older children up there after school.

monkey62
17-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm in the same situation like you as I leave in 2 bedroom flat ... and I have to use my kids bedroom. because of a lack of space.
I put kids to sleep after lunch, and also kids can play there from time to time.
But my mindeed children are very close to my kids age. My oldest is 6 and my youngest is 3, so they are more like a friends.
Actually that's what I have said to my kids as well about my business, I'm telling them we have friends coming to play with us and they are more happy to share the toys, games etc

michellethegooner
17-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I have always used my 2 kids rooms for sleeps in travel cots, naps usually occur before 3pm so not usually a prob my kids dont spend loads of time in their rooms as wii is in my bedroom they dont play with toys anymore and anyway my son is usually outside playing on his bike, other than sleeps no kids left upstairs at all

sarak31
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure it will be fine. I think the key reason why people don't allow it is to give their children some of their own private space. I do the same as others which is to separate toys - those they want to share are downstairs, those they don't want to share are kept in their rooms. Can you buy some lidded boxes for your daughter to achieve the same thing and keep some toys / her things in her room that she wants to keep as just hers put away?

Twinklestars
18-05-2010, 02:38 AM
i have just sent in a variation to register my son's room but only in case i get any after schoolers cos i would feel awful if they wanted to play in his room (only if thomas asked them to) but couldn't cos it wasn't registered.

Hebs
18-05-2010, 06:20 AM
only unless they invite older children up there after school.

same here :thumbsup:

Toothfairy
18-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I use one of the bedroom's as a room for the mindees to sleep. :thumbsup:

jellybean cc
18-05-2010, 09:49 AM
This made interesting reading i had a visit from my area co-ordinator yesterday. Who did a pre-OFSTED inspection to make sure i was ready. I had planned to use my children's room as a sleep room as like many other i only have two bedrooms. She has said not to, that a travel cot in the lounge is fine and 2/3 year olds can have a nap on large floor cushions in the lounge. She said that even nursery's are being encouraged to get rid of sleep rooms in favor of open plan duel purpose sleep and play rooms.

Does anyone else have baby sleeping in the play room?

Twinklestars
18-05-2010, 10:44 AM
i mind a 9 month old and he sleeps in the front room, he is my only mindee though and me and my 4 month old tend to go in the next room when he's asleep

AliceK
18-05-2010, 11:20 AM
This made interesting reading i had a visit from my area co-ordinator yesterday. Who did a pre-OFSTED inspection to make sure i was ready. I had planned to use my children's room as a sleep room as like many other i only have two bedrooms. She has said not to, that a travel cot in the lounge is fine and 2/3 year olds can have a nap on large floor cushions in the lounge. She said that even nursery's are being encouraged to get rid of sleep rooms in favor of open plan duel purpose sleep and play rooms.

Does anyone else have baby sleeping in the play room?

This would never work for me. there is not enough peace and quiet for mindees to sleep downstairs and it would be too much of a distraction for them to go off to sleep. I have travel cots set up each morning upstairs and mindees go off to sleep within minutes of being put in them.

xxxxx

venus89
18-05-2010, 12:48 PM
The travel cot lives in my daughter and stepdaughters' room. They're 9 and 10 so it's not a problem for them. Nap time is after lunch here so it doesn't affect them and the little ones are only allowed in there otherwise if they are asked n by the girls......

I don't have a playroom where they could sleep (or a spare room or dining roome - there's 5 of us cramped in a 3 bedroomed house with a lounge/diner). So at the moment one is asleep in the travel cot upstairs, one on the sofa, and one in the pushchair in the hall, which is where I am (under th estairs!) with the computer...... It's a squeeze but we manage!

Tina O
18-05-2010, 01:14 PM
My 14yrs old spoke to the inspector (of his own choice) and told her to put in her report the mindees can't fgo in his room and bless her, she did!!! now if any of the younger kids ask he just say no cos its written they can't.......
:D

Chatterbox Childcare
18-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I only use mine for sleeping in.

emmadines
18-05-2010, 06:59 PM
nope, my children's rooms are their own space. plus i don't want their things broken

janey81
18-05-2010, 09:03 PM
My kids are always asking the mindees to play upstairs, I tend just to let them on a friday when its freeplay and sometimes on a monday when I just have the one mindee, I have spoken to my kids, who are 8, 5 and 3 and they seem to think it them having their friends round to play as they all get on well together. I only have the living room really for childminding, although we have a large garden that the older ones like to go out and play.

Jane

mandy moo
19-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Im lucky in that I have three bedrooms, but the only room to be registered upstairs, is mine and my en-suite, & this is just for sleeping babies in the travel cot.
As others have said, my boys are older 8 & 11, therefore the stuff they may have in their rooms may not be suitable for the much younger children I mind, Plus I also think they need their own 'space' as and when they need it.

I also make this clear in my Welcome pack and my policies.

Alibali
22-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't have my upstairs registered so can't be tempted to use it, mine all sleep in travel cots or on the sofa's downstairs, never had a problem, it's quiet time for the non sleepers where we do jigsaws/art & crafts etc.

Mouse
22-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't registered any of our bedrooms. There isn't room for a travel cot in ours or our daughter's room and the boys' bedrooms are such tips I wouldn't dream of putting a young child in there to sleep - they'd probably disappear under a pile of dirty clothes, never to be seen again :panic: