PDA

View Full Version : Medication Permission

SonnysMummy
25-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm really confused about medication!!!:eek:
Do i need permission forms for parents to sign saying i have permission to give non-perscribed meds such as calpol and get them to do this when the child starts with me? This saying i have permission to give these meds when needed? But then i think if the child is ill enough to have calpol shouldn't the child be at home? But then again i would still have the children if they had a cold so i may need to give cough meds ect???

Then do i need permission forms for perscribed meds for the parent to sign if i need to give these???

What is in the medication books that you have?

Help me!!!:D

sarah707
25-03-2008, 07:28 PM
You need signed permission for giving any medication... signed before you give and signed when you have given.

If I have a child fall ill when they are with me, I ask parents verbally if I can give Calpol and then I get a signature when they collect.

There are some ideas for forms (including prior permission for giving Calpol and other meds) on www.bromleycma.org.uk. My inspector said they did not like this... but as we know, opinions within Ofsted do vary sometimes!

For the future, the position is not entirely clear because with EYFS it states medication can only be given if prescribed... and it does not make any provision for non-prescribed stuff eg teething gels, homeopathic, Calpol etc. Also it does not give any leeway for doing what I have just said about giving meds during the day if needed.

We are hoping the EYFS revisions will be more sensibly worded. :D

fionamal
25-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm really confused about medication!!!:eek:
Do i need permission forms for parents to sign saying i have permission to give non-perscribed meds such as calpol and get them to do this when the child starts with me? This saying i have permission to give these meds when needed? But then i think if the child is ill enough to have calpol shouldn't the child be at home? But then again i would still have the children if they had a cold so i may need to give cough meds ect???

Then do i need permission forms for perscribed meds for the parent to sign if i need to give these???

What is in the medication books that you have?

Help me!!!:D

Ive PMd you

Noodles
25-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Dont know if this is relevent but i read somewhere that if you dont always use the calpol brand then use the term paracetamol suspension on permission forms as this covers any brand of paracetamol given.:)

SonnysMummy
25-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies:)
fionamal not sure if you meant you have pmed me but didn't get it if you did:)
I've done permission forms for administering non and perscribed meds. Also got the recording of administering the meds forms off the bromley website.

Now just wondering what about meds that can be administered by the child themselves-maybe the older ones. Saw that i need something for this somewhere...but what? Any ideas?

miffy
25-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Do you mean things like inhalers for asthmatic children?

I think there is a form for this on the bromley site

miffy xx

sarah707
25-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Now just wondering what about meds that can be administered by the child themselves-maybe the older ones. Saw that i need something for this somewhere...but what? Any ideas?

I have a form for parents to sign which
- asks about the medication
- says parents must make it clear to child that they are to be monitored here, even if they're not at home
- explains why medication must be stored safely because of younger children
- asks about dosage etc
- requests a spare to be kept here in case of loss / damage (esp in case of inhaler or epipen)
- informs parents that if it is epipen I need training as child might not be in a fit state to self-administer

Then I do a risk assessment to cover where the medication will be stored eg most children drop their bags on the floor, but ones with meds in need to go on a high shelf out of reach of little ones...

Hope this helps :D

tomthumb
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Thank you, I did not have one of these forms ready and one of my parents has given me some paracetamol to give her child in case she was not well. Luckily she did not need it! I am now going to prepare the forms. So many things to think about and do, so little time!!

SonnysMummy
04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
You know when you administer calpol; would you write in your policy that you would only give it once and then if the child was still struggling you would ask parents to pick up their child and take them home? I'm abit worried of how calpol may disguise symptoms which may mean something serious being missed. The child may be in need of medical help quickly but if i've given calpol...

Kelly:)

Trouble
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
also for epipens

you need professional training for both of these before you use the equipment

with the epipen one you are not insured if you havent had the relivent training
#
also using nappy rash cream you need permission for or i have anyway

they are all to cover you so why not

SonnysMummy
07-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi:)
Just wondering is anyone has any ideas to what i asked about the calpol?
Would you keep giving it or just give one dose while waiting for parents to collect their child?

sarah707
07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi:)
Just wondering is anyone has any ideas to what i asked about the calpol?
Would you keep giving it or just give one dose while waiting for parents to collect their child?

If you think a child is ill enough for paracetamol, then they are too poorly to take part in the normal stuff you do as part of your day eg school runs, outside play etc. If this is the case, they should be at home... so you should be looking to get them collected.

Then it's not your responsibility any more :D

SonnysMummy
07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks:) That's what i though. I'll write it in my policy.

SonnysMummy
07-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I have included in my policy that i would administer medicines such as calpol in order to make the child more comfortable while waiting to be collected. I've said that i wouldn't feel comfortable to keep giving paracetamol in case the child needed to see a doctor and the medicine may be masking the signs of a more serious illness.
This is along with needing permission to give it in the first place and also ringing parent before giving it too.

How's it sound?:)

sarah707
07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds good to me... we're not supposed to call it Calpol though, it's infant paracetamol (in case parents supply a generic brand). :D

SonnysMummy
07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Ok; thanks. Changed that:)

NikNak
15-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Does any one have a mindee who needs puffs of inhaler for asthma every day at specific times?

Do you have to get parent to sign date etc every day for this? I have the ncma permission forms to give medication for asthma.

I keep looking at them and they dont make sense to me!

There is a specific form for asthma in this book but it looks to me like it has to be signed dated etc every day. Surely there has to be an easier way?:idea:

2045amanda
16-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I look after a five year old who usually has to have his inhalers every morning before school, sometimes mum does it when she drops him off if she has time, if not I do it. I get her to sign/date ncma book every day to cover myself. If she does not have time to sign in am she does it when she picks him up.

To cover yourself you should get it signed and dated everyday.

Amanda.