PDA

View Full Version : Group 0 Car seats in the front - not allowed?

vix84
17-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi, I have a new mindee who is only almost 3 months and is just temporary, the mum usually puts the baby in the back but seeing as I already have 2 forward facing toddlers in the back I have to put baby in the front with air bag turned off which I thought was fine.

But mum is saying she has researched it and your not supposed to even if air bag is turned off ........... :panic: I said my DS will have to go in front then although hell hate the sun in his eyes so will need sunnies :)

Anyway, Ive searched it and cant find any info. on it, she said shell bring it in tomoz but thought Id ask here.

Her car seat looks quite old, so I did say maybe its because of the older style - but I still think even if I were to offer to use my DS's group 0 (Which on the edge says 'do not use in front seat with airbag turned ON) but I think she just wants her in the back.

So who out of the 2 is safest in the front? - 10 week old in rear facing in front with air bag off
or DS almost 2, but in a forward facing car seat with air bag turned off

I do have the other mindee who is 4 months older than DS and heavier, but feel like I should put my own son in the front over a mindee if forward facing .......

Monkey26
17-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I would personally put the baby in the rear facing seat in the front (my brother has indent scars on his face from where he was in front in a forward facing seat when a car smashed into my parents and the windscreen shattered, luckily he escaped with just these!) but like you say you really should work in partnership with the parents and go with their wishes as much as possible....

Do you not have a proper seatbelt in the middle of your car? I used to put the rear facing car seat in the middle of the two forward facings one it was snug but its most definately wasn't going anywhere. I left the seat in the car the whole day, leaning in and putting baby in first-then toddlers.

Hope you come to a good, safe arrangement for all :-) xx

vix84
17-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I would personally put the baby in the rear facing seat in the front (my brother has indent scars on his face from where he was in front in a forward facing seat when a car smashed into my parents and the windscreen shattered, luckily he escaped with just these!) but like you say you really should work in partnership with the parents and go with their wishes as much as possible....

Do you not have a proper seatbelt in the middle of your car? I used to put the rear facing car seat in the middle of the two forward facings one it was snug but its most definately wasn't going anywhere. I left the seat in the car the whole day, leaning in and putting baby in first-then toddlers.

Hope you come to a good, safe arrangement for all :-) xx

No, afraid I only have a lab belt - although I think my forward facing britax car seat can be used on just a lap belt, but dont think it would fit too well, and would probably therefore be safer in the front.
I do have a Zafira 7 seater but dont know what the boot seats are like for car seats, but ideally I need the boot really, although could put the buggy in the front with me - would just be a lot of faffing around on weekends if I need the boot space for something.

Its only for another 8 weeks or so and only 2 days a week - so maybe I will just put up with DS in front forward facing, but then feel guilty towards DS's safety lol, cant win!

TammyN
17-05-2010, 07:19 PM
No, afraid I only have a lab belt - although I think my forward facing britax car seat can be used on just a lap belt, but dont think it would fit too well, and would probably therefore be safer in the front.
I do have a Zafira 7 seater but dont know what the boot seats are like for car seats, but ideally I need the boot really, although could put the buggy in the front with me - would just be a lot of faffing around on weekends if I need the boot space for something.

Its only for another 8 weeks or so and only 2 days a week - so maybe I will just put up with DS in front forward facing, but then feel guilty towards DS's safety lol, cant win!

i have a Zafiria, i use one of the back seats for my dd(5 point harness booster) then double fits on otherside with single and the baggage very easily. i have booster(5 point harness), booster and a rear facing seat in the middle. don't use the front seat unless i really need it as i was advised not to unless really needed for children!! this was from mothercare seat fitter?

don't understand why u don't want to put back seats up really and keep all children safe.

vix84
17-05-2010, 07:24 PM
i have a Zafiria, i use one of the back seats for my dd(5 point harness booster) then double fits on otherside with single and the baggage very easily. i have booster(5 point harness), booster and a rear facing seat in the middle. don't use the front seat unless i really need it as i was advised not to unless really needed for children!! this was from mothercare seat fitter?

don't understand why u don't want to put back seats up really and keep all children safe.

Because for 1, I dont think its safe having a buggy and luggage next to a child in the next seat, imagine if you crash and all that lands on them .........

Im not convinced the boot seats are safer than using the front seat as Ive read before about the boot just crumpling up in an accident so would the boot seats :panic:

SYLVIA
17-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Iv got a Zafira and I put two forward facing in the back and the rear facing in the centre and leave the other two seats doen so I can still see them. Still
a bit of a struggle to do belts though. Mine must be a later model as Iv got 3 full seat belts in the centre line. Not much boot space though

Heaven Scent
17-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I have researched this for other minders in the town and from all the websites I've gone on it appears to be fine to carry a child in rearward facing seat so long as the airbag is turned off.

On another point though another minder in this town has been told by "More than" who she has her motor insurance through that if she turnes off her airbag it will invalidate her insurance.

I'm with Motorminder and I hope its OK for me to turn mine off because I do from time to time - trouble is remembering to turn it back on when I've finished.

vix84
17-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Iv got a Zafira and I put two forward facing in the back and the rear facing in the centre and leave the other two seats doen so I can still see them. Still
a bit of a struggle to do belts though. Mine must be a later model as Iv got 3 full seat belts in the centre line. Not much boot space though

Yeah bit of a ****** I havent got a middle proper belt. Im also 4 months pregnant so not quite sure how Id lean over to do straps in the boot, unless I can leave one seat down ...... havent looked at the boot seats.

Think Ill go to mothercare and ask for their opinion, but the boot crumpling aspect is a real worry ....... nothings ever simple!

SYLVIA
17-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I use a graco booster and an argos 5 point harness in the back and they fit well. Children have good amount of leg room if I slide the middle forward a little. I havent heard of the crumple problem but the LO have to go somewhere. I cant turn my airbag off!

vix84
17-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Think I need a little bus!

Gizmo
17-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I didnt think you where allowed 5point harness seats in the back seats of a Zafira :panic:

vix84
17-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I didnt think you where allowed 5point harness seats in the back seats of a Zafira :panic:

:panic: not another thing to worry about lol, mothercare will love me :)

SYLVIA
17-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Didn't know I couldn't. Mrs O never showed any concern when she called. Wont be doing it much longer as LO is nearly big enough for next group seat

christine e
18-05-2010, 05:40 AM
http://www.dft.gov.uk/think_media/241015/241057/251.pdf

have a look on page 6 Airbags states rear facing car seat must not be used when air bag active.

Christine