PDA

View Full Version : unregistered childminder how cheeky is this

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
17-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I got talking to a lady who lives in the street next to me ( i dont really know her only ive only spoken to her twice) and she told me she was a nanny a few weeks ago (explained about this in a previous thread),

Anyway saturday night my door bell went and it was her.

the first thing she said was can i ask you a question, i said yes and she then asked me how much i charge an hour, i told her and then when i asked her why she told me that she was an unregistered childmminder who looks after a 2yr old child mon-fri 7am-7pm and gets paid £100.00 pw and the parents said that they are paying too much and want to drop it to £50.00 pw :eek:

so She wanted to know what i charge so she could tell them what a better deal they are getting by using her and not me a registered childminder :angry: :angry: (her words not mine)

I then went on to explain why i charge what i do and the difference between a registered and unregistered childminder, the outgoings i have as a childminder :angry: what might happen if the child had an accident, she said oh he has and told me some shocking things about the childs parents which had alarm bells ringing in my head afterwards.

Well i phoned Ofsted and reported her and after telling them what she said to me about the parents they would advise me to phone social services as the child might be at risk,

Now my only concern is that its hear say what she has said to me, i dont really know her and for all i know she could be lieing to me about the parents, so i dont really feel that i can phone social services, advice PLEASE somone.

sorry for long thread

sarak31
17-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Report it anyway.

Social services will know after looking at for 1 minute if it is all a load of cobblers. Despite the horrible cases of social services missing things in the press, the majority of people who work for social services do know their stuff they are just disgustingly overworked. If it isn't true then it will get forgotten, if it is then you've done good reporting it.

If osfted have advised you as well to do it, they may have made a record of this on your record - they always seem to tapping away on their keyboards when you ring up so presumably they are making notes on our files about the conversation - who knows. If you don't and something awful does happen there would be a record that ofsted told you to, if you get what I mean.

francinejayne
17-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Definitely report it - better to be safe than sorry. You're not doing it to be malicious so your conscience is clear. I know I couldn't live with myself if I knew something and didn't act on it.

TammyN
17-05-2010, 07:00 PM
yeah report it and make a note for yourself with times, conversations, etc.

as for the unregistered childminder, what a cheek! :angry:

Ripeberry
17-05-2010, 07:26 PM
She is working for £1.60 an hour and is unregistered, more fool her :mad: Report the parents, they must be stupid to try and get childcare for £50 a week for almost 60hrs care (12hrsX 5days)! :eek:
No wonder these people undercut us. Money seems to be more important than the safety of their children :(

SYLVIA
17-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Definately report it. Even if it turns out to be lies, then the parents will find out what sort of person they leave the child with when social services contact them!

Pipsqueak
17-05-2010, 08:15 PM
you have done the right thing by informing ofsted and yes I would go ahead and speak to social services - although I am a bit dubious that it sounds Ofsted are passing the buck here.

Ring Ofsted back and confirm that you will be (?) speaking/spoken to SS and that they (Ofsted) are taking your concerns seriously.

LittleAcorns
18-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree with the others, its better to report serious alligations and they be wrong than leave it and the child be at risk. please let us know how you get on x

SmartKids
18-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree - definitely report it - whatever the outcome - at least then you have thought about the child's welfare. I am sure you will feel relieved when you have.

And, again what a cheeky ******

Tina O
18-05-2010, 01:26 PM
100% agree with above and say report it, after all if it is hear-say and nothing in it, fair enough, but if something is happening you may just save a child!!!!!