PDA

View Full Version : Cerebal Palsy

Pipsqueak
17-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have any experience of caring for a child with this?

I may potentially have a child to care for - 12months old.
Dad has explained she has cerebal palsy and subsequently feeding problems. she cannot support her own head.
this so far is all the information I have had. i am meeting with the parents and child on Wednesday morning.

The other query that I am going to speak to NCMA about is:

this work is in the childs own home due to equipment etc. I have stated that my prices would have to cover the loss of potentially three spaces daytime.
But another minder pointed out to me - where will I stand for insurance etc seeing as its not in my own home. What about learning journeys (although I was looking at that from the point of view that i will have to be looking at the Early Support sections) from Ofsteds point of view, risk assessments etc. She thinks that i will be considered more of a nanny but my insurance won't cover me. Now i know that babysitting via NCMA checklists cover you but this is a community network placement, payment coming from direct payments therefore will be on a normal contract as such.

With regard to cerebal palsy - anyone willing to share info with me I would be most grateful

heatherw
17-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I can't help much but I know that everyone with cerebal palsy is different, some have more mobility than others. It depends on the child as to what she will and won't be able to do.

sweets
17-05-2010, 05:23 PM
have pm'd you

Blaze
17-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Me - lots of experience - you have all my details!

I'm training tonight - but should be back my arounf 9:45pm / 10pm:thumbsup:

candy cat
17-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Me too.... used to work in a conductive education school.

Pipsqueak
17-05-2010, 05:38 PM
thanks everyone - Sweets just popped on so will read pm later when I have sorted out my horrors.

anything anyone can share with me would be great:thumbsup:

Shirlwith3
17-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I had a mindee that recenlty left me, as mum was finding it hard coping on her own hundreds of mile form her family ( she is in the army) any way while he was in my care I rasied concerns about her lo as he was 12month & was not supporting himself, he was very much like a 3-4 month old well mum sent him to her mums where he then had a fit any way to cut a long story short, he saw a consultant in Scotland & after a more test being done it turns out he too has Cerebal Palsy, he had a scan just over a week ago to see how bad he has it, poor little thing. Even though she has terminated contract she still keeps me up todate on how he doing

Twinklestars
18-05-2010, 02:50 AM
my partner's sister has cerebral palsy, she can walk and talk fine but has learning difficulties. She is 25 now and i would say my 5 year old is now more mentally mature than her now. They get on great as she plays with him like a child but she can have very bad mood swings and tires easily.

youarewhatyoueat
18-05-2010, 12:10 PM
You need to be on the voluntary register as well which most childminders automatically are and then you also need nanny insurance. If you care for the child more as a nanny than childminding then you need to let ofsted know as they may inspect you as a nanny.
I have dual registration and both insurances as do occasional respite care in parents homes when the children have been assessed under caf, there is funding available for parents when their children are asessed, but you can't charge for 3 places unless the child has been assessed needing the equivalent of 3 places, mostly it is 2 places but I charge a higher rate per hour for this work usually £10 per hour.
The reason you can't say you charge for extra places is its then not inclusive and you are then discriminating on the grounds of disability, you have to set a different charge to cover yourself.

Pipsqueak
18-05-2010, 02:40 PM
thanks for that 'youare' - i checked it out this morning and was told what you have said - but thank you so much.

I don't think I am going to be able to do it as I cannot afford the insurance, let alone getting (and waiting for) another CRB to be done. The thing that peeps me off is that its down to me to tell the parents (who are visiting tomorrow).:angry: