PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and babysitting??

pinkbutterfly
17-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Just a hypothetical question. Is childminder (registered etc) covered by the regular insurance when babysitting in somebody else's house? Who'd be responsible if something happened? Can parents claim tax credits if babysitting is regular? As I see it (but I'm not an expert) they can't claim help with cost since it's on their property so while beeing there she's not a childminder but a babysitter and the insurance would not cover her for any accidents that happen while working on their property. Is that right?

TammyN
17-05-2010, 04:21 PM
don't know sorry but sure someone will answer soon, i hate to read and run!

Pipsqueak
17-05-2010, 05:07 PM
If you are an NCMA member your insurance will cover you to babysit in the childs own home providing you use the NCMA babysitting checklist (you can order these from NCMA website). Do read all the information front and back because you are limited to how many children you can care for using that checklist (in the circumstance of when I sit for my friend i don't use one because i am over the limit it states)

Don't think TC's will cover babysitting but perhaps best to check.

As for who is responsible - it is the adult in charge - so the babysitter ultimately, however It is up to the parent to ensure that the person caring for their child is competent and suitable and if that person is not then the parents could be liable.
The checklist includes mini-risk assessment.