PDA

View Full Version : Do I charge or not?

cuffleygirl
17-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I have siblings that I usually look after on Monday and Tuesday pre-schoolers aged 1 and 4. Last Thursday evening I got a frantic phone call from mum asking me to have the 1yo as they were both (mum and dad) taking 4 year old to hospital high temp and severe stomach pains.

I was going to go out with a friend, but mum was desperate said yes, couldn't say no - but wished she hadn't asked (DH not pleased) anyway had little one from 6.30pm to 10pm - 4year old fine returned home diagnosed with tonsilitis (sp) reaction with glands in stomach.

Mum does have a friend she could have asked (mum said couldn't ask her as she has a 1 year old - I have 4 kids and a life).

Mum did ask afterwards was I going out - I did hesitate for a moment before saying yes but imagining burst appendix and 4 year old in pain couldn't say no! I told mum it didn't matter.

Here is the thing - do I charge? if she had brought round flowers or a bottle of plonk would have just said thank you and let it go - but nothing - is she expecting to pay me? feel awful charging but also feel there was someone else (her best friend) she could have asked - or done what me and DH have done in the past one gone to hospital whilst the other stayed at home!

I will need some time off for an op myself soon, most of other parents have been taking the whatsit lately - what would you do?

grindal
17-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I would charge - and probably double for anti social hours. If she had wanted a friend to look after her other child she could have asked one. Instead she asked her childminder with whom she has a business arrangement. So, be business like about it and give her an invoice.

I sound really heartless and I fully understand it is a difficult situation, but I think it is important to maintain professionalism all the time in what we do.

cas2805
17-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't charge in that situation. If she was going out to work and earning some money then yes (or going to the pub!) But possible she thinks of you as a friend and that's what friends do

Ripeberry
17-05-2010, 01:56 PM
But then you know what they say about working for 'friends' I would still charge but maybe not unsocial hours. Difficult isn't it? But if you don't charge at all, she may think it's OK to keep adding bits here and there, even if it's an emergency :mad:

Twinklestars
17-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I would charge too, otherwise she may expect more favours in the future, and it may put her off interupting your personal time again :thumbsup:

wendywu
17-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I would charge but the normal rate. :)

HELEN10
17-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I would charge - and probably double for anti social hours. If she had wanted a friend to look after her other child she could have asked one. Instead she asked her childminder with whom she has a business arrangement. So, be business like about it and give her an invoice.

I sound really heartless and I fully understand it is a difficult situation, but I think it is important to maintain professionalism all the time in what we do.

Fully agree with the above if she didn't expect to pay then she would have asked a friend!

SmartKids
17-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I would charge normal rate but tell her you normally charge double due to unsocial hours, but say you are happy to charge normal rate on this ocassion.
Good luck - I hate talking the money side to parents.

grindal
17-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I would charge normal rate but tell her you normally charge double due to unsocial hours, but say you are happy to charge normal rate on this ocassion.

Probably a more diplomatic way of doing it!

Alibali
17-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't charge, I did the same for a family a few weekends ago and had the lo overnight too, but it was an emergency one off, they did thank me profusely and get flowers delivered for me though.

tashaleee
17-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Id probably do the same - if they had brought round something (ie flowers, wine etc) then I probably would have let it go this once - at the end of the day you are a business and she did have friends she could have asked :thumbsup:

Monkey26
17-05-2010, 07:09 PM
This has happened to me before, one of the twins i care for was rushed into hopsital. I know mum has few friends around here so i said yes and without hesitation jumped in my car and met her at the hospital (she was already in ambulance when she called), she gave me her house keys said go round and get whatever you need i will call you as soon as i can. I didn't go to her house-i always keep stock of bits and pieces at home so knew i would manage! Anyways, mums turns up at 11pm ish with a massive bunch of flowers and is really thankful... i still put a bill in her bag the next week!!!

I was blunt but in a polite way and just said "i know it was a really unfortunate situation but i have put a bill in your bag for the other night" she was absolutley fine with it, well to my face anyways :-)

Like others have said, there is a fine line between friendship and work and it can be hard but be honest and polite and it should all be ok! xx