PDA

View Full Version : 2 potentials visiting tomorrow

snufflepuff
17-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I have just said yes to a lady visiting at 6pm tomorrow with her 5 year old son. She just needs me to have him in the morning and take him to school (about 20-25 minutes walk away and proably not much less that that in the car because the traffic is terrible at that time of day)
Im now thinking it may not be practical- on a Monday i have 2 one year old mindees plus my son who is also one. If the lady coming tomorrow afternoon with her 19 month old signs up i will then have the same situation on a Wednesday. Getting the 5 year old to school would mean a double buggy plus buggy board (and hoping that one of the one year olds will stay on the buggy board) OR driving him to school but setting up the double buggy and buggy board just to walk him in to the school.
Do you think i am going to have to tell her i cant do it?

marzi
17-05-2010, 10:44 AM
That does sound a bit difficult to juggle.
Is it busy roads to the school? I panic walking my own near roads and they are much older.
And if it's not roads how much longer will it take you if the other one year old won't stay on the buggy board?
For such a short time it seems a lot of work lol maybe if he was going to be after school as well it'd be different, but only you know what you can manage. Maybe a weeks trial? :thumbsup:

Twinklestars
17-05-2010, 11:10 AM
If you were taking your own child it would seem easier as you were going anyway, if the traffic's really bad too you may use quite a bit of fuel, does it make financial sense for you? only thing is could you combine it with a walk somewhere else or is it enroute to any groups you attend? a childminder i know turned down a boy cos she only has little ones so didn't think it would be fair on them to have to do the school run every day

tashaleee
17-05-2010, 12:36 PM
i guess you have to work out the pros and cons

do you already have other children at this school?
how many days a week is it for? (is it financially viable)?
will it be term time only? (more money in school hols, 6 wks hols coming up...)
could you trial it and if it doesnt work do til end of summer?
do you want to be tied to the school or is there another school you prefer?
the little ones will be older in winter but the weather is worse
what time does the mum want you to have the 5 year old from?
is there enough time to get everyone else delivered in the morning and get the 5 year old to school

work is work but sometimes jobs are too much hassle for the money and hopefully something more suitable will come along if you turn this one down :)

snufflepuff
17-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the advice ladies.
I dont think it will work. I think when mum comes tomorrow ill explain how difficult it will be and see what she wants to do- if she seems really keen still ill offer to do it on a trial basis. Its not a huge loss if i have to turn it down, it would only be 1-1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, so not big bucks!
What do you charge for mornings only? My usual fee is £3.20 per hour but id want to charge more than that.

amirose
17-05-2010, 01:07 PM
My advice would be don't do it!!! I walk to a school exactly that distance away and its the most aggravating thing ever. We have to leave here at 2.10pm to be able to get there on time for 2.45pm - because the kids slow me down so much - and we often only just get there in time. And what about when its pouring with rain? child on the buggy board, and of course you get soaked!
Although you do have an option of going in the car which I don't.
The trouble with starting it is you feel guilty to let go and push yourself to do it when in reality you can't. Also the money pulls you back. I have finally just given notice, I simply cannot do it anymore!!! Two more weeks and I am free! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Never ever again .... :laughing: