PDA

View Full Version : railwayline at bottom of garden

debbie
16-05-2010, 09:25 PM
hi everyone. i'm in process of looking for a new home (moving) anyway house i have fallen in love with has a railway line at the bottom of a 50ft garden just wondering if any of you have one and was there any problems with ofsted. it has a high fence and trees in front. house is ideal for minding just this question mark over it. thanks x

sarak31
16-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't see how that is different to backing onto a road etc - we back onto a road and parking spaces, ofsted have never been concerned, just checked that the garden was all secure and the children couldn't get out. I'm sure they'll just do the same, as long as the fence is secure I can't see there being a problem?

sue m
16-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi Debbie,

I have a railway line at the bottom of my garden too and it wasn't a problem at all. Mine didn't even have a fence :eek: I emailed NR for over a year and they refused to put one up even though I said what my job was and that my husband had alzheimer's and was likely to wander onto the line (it really was that easy to get on to it) so I got in touch with Anglian News and they got on to NR and we had a fence in no time! :rolleyes: Shouldn't be any problem at all for you. x

Blaze
16-05-2010, 09:59 PM
You've described my garden (except it's not that big) & I have never had any problems with OFSTED with it.:)

debbie
16-05-2010, 10:22 PM
thanks everyone for replying thats put my mind at rest. hopefully we will go ahead and make an offer.

huggableshelly
17-05-2010, 05:58 AM
ooh good luck with the move

RedDragon
17-05-2010, 07:12 AM
That really takes me back (sorry I'm going off on a tangent). When I was growing up my garden backed onto a railway line and next to it was a junk yard - we used to walk over the railway line to the junk yard and pinch huge car seats and drag them back over to our house - where the gardens ended there was a massive slope that we used to go down on the car seats and virtually touch the railway line once we hit the bottom :panic: :eek:

I'm sure this type of activity won't be on your daily planning sheet :D

As someone else said it's the same as living near a busy road.

Well done Sue on your fight to make changes :thumbsup:

sue m
17-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Thank you Red! :D I was so pleased with myself! :o It was absolutely dangerous, you could get onto the line from my garden, the original fence had been down for years and it was only a bit of wire. Just shows what these big companies can do when you threaten them with the media - they couldn't afford to put fencing up all along the backs of the houses and had no plans to do so in the future - till the telly people rang them! :jump for joy: :clapping: x

debbie
17-05-2010, 08:57 AM
looking forward to moving hopefully pick up more work being more central. at the same time a bit nervous have been in my pesent house for 14 years and its in a nice quiet cul de sac. but works very quiet as people would have to travel back on themselves before going off to work. lo i have now would love watching the trains as the train set is out most days. is it noisy when the trains go by or dont you notice after a while. my oh used to live near an airport and he said you get used to it. must of been fun on those chairs down the hills shame everythings changing.

sue m
17-05-2010, 09:06 AM
We get passenger trains and freight trains Debbie and it can be noisy at 3am when the freight trains go by - and sometimes they are so heavy the whole house shakes! I nearly get bounced out of bed sometimes. :o It's true you don't usually notice them during the day cos you get used to them. They shouldn't be allowed to wake me up at 3am and they need their brakes oiling too! ;) :angry:

Mookins
17-05-2010, 09:07 AM
sounds lovely, and just think youll be able to catch out those parents who use "the train was late" as an excuse for late pick ups....lol

x x x :laughing:

loocyloo
17-05-2010, 12:41 PM
i have the railway at the bottom of my garden, down in a cutting.

we have a wire fence that belongs to the railway and some prickly bushes in front of it! the children loved trying to watch the trains, so we put up a climbing frame/slide combo thing, that has a platform and they watch the trains from there!

but now the trees are growing tall on the embankment and we can't see the trains so well :(

never had a problem with ofsted.

good luck with it all.

x

grindal
17-05-2010, 12:59 PM
We have a river at the bottom of our garden (not as picturesque as it sounds) and Ofsted never mentioned that either!

debbie
18-05-2010, 09:55 PM
thankfully dont have parents who travel by train just car. just have parents (1 parent ) who likes to make appointments at the last minute arriving late and then getting sorry sorry wont be late tomorrow. i have her kids until quite late usually after 8 and youngest one is only 3. if trains were the only problem i wouldn't mind. thanks everyone for your encouragement to go ahead. as for trainns waking me i do that myself every morning at 4.