PDA

View Full Version : NCMA ARM Stockport - Yesterday

Heaven Scent
16-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd love to hear everyones comments about yesterdays conference.

It was fab to meet up with

Sarah 707
Singlewiththre
Lauredt
margimum

Margimum came and introduced herself to me when I was having a coffee at the beginning - It was fab to meet her.

I have known Lauredt for the best part of 2 years (if not longer - time flies) and never realised she was a forum member until yesterday.

I enjoyed the first half more than the second half although there was a little confusion as to how the group discussions were going to take place but once that got started things went well.

Like the North Shields ARM we discussed the Code of Practice.

Those in our group also suggested that the new title should have the word "QUALITY" in it as it reflects what we do - we provide a quality service to our clients -(parents and chlidren) - (In the past year or so when talking to non minders I have taken to referring to my "parents and mindees" as clients if its OK for hairdressers and beauty therapists along with accountants, solicitors and dentists to call their customers "Clients" then it should be fine for us. As we we want to be seen as professionals then we should act as professionals and use professional terms - I know we do need to keep it on a personal basis too but that is ok with the parents once we get to know them better and build up better relationships with them).

Anyhow back to the ARM -

Our group discussed the second point on the list and also said that it should be down to Ofsted to strike somone off and that once someone was struck off then they wouldn't renew their membership as they wouldn't be practicing - Membership is voluntary and is there to give advice and support so if a member is having difficulty complying with any aspect of EYFS then NCMA should be offering them support!!!

One of the other groups discussed something about inviting parents to get involved in writing up our policies and proceedures and in other aspects of our business - well that went down like a led balloon.

I was also pleased that at the end of the feedback they came round and collected our feedback forms which I felt meant they would be taking it more seriously as some people didn't get to complete their feeback due to interuptions from others which led to further discussion etc.

The guest speaker was an excolleague of mine from my days as a lecturer at Stockport College - as I went looking for her she recognised me but I didn't recognise her as she had lost loads of weight and looks quite different - but she certainly hadn't lost her sense of humour and charisma - she gave a very interesting and funny talk about marketing.

Lunch was fab they had good caterers who even made a special Lasagne for Sarah707 - There was also plenty of Tea & Coffee.

When it came to the workshop I have to say I was truely disappointed - I was going to be a naughty girl and defect to my excolleagues workshop - it was called Shake Rattle & Roll but at the last minute I chickened out and went next door to my allocated workshop - oh how sorry I was. It was supposed to be about Story Tellling With props - But two young boys were left in a room of about 15 middle aged women and started out by telling us tht there would be no props involved :eek: :eek: Then they asked us what we were expecting of the workshop and if we were expecting to have any input - WOW - you could have heard a pin drop - The whole thing was a disaster from beginning to end. - I was sitting next to the door and wasn't feeling great and on a few occasions I was tempted to pick up my bags and pop next to join in Shake Rattle & Roll but as Sarah707 & Lauredt were in the same workshop I didn't think it would be fair to walk out without saying a word. I was even nodding off at one point - I did however feel so sorry for the poor lads - it wasn't their fault - somone agreed to take on the gig and didn't deliver - I bet the person in charge of the organisation they came from were reasonably paid for it but wasn't equipped to fulful the task - they were also the same people who ran the fact painting workshop - I'm not naming them in case other members who weren't at the ARM have any dealings with the group and I'm sure these lads are brill at what they do within the organisation.

With regard to the raffle I won the last prize but Miss Sarah won 3 and Lauredt won 2 so all in all our little group did rather well in the raffle - albeit some better than others :laughing: :laughing:

Well that is what I can remember for now - I'd love to hear what others remember thought of the day and for them to fill me in on their workshops.

Those that did the puppet making workshop came out with some fab puppets we all wanted one.

When I got home I didn't feel great and had to take DD to Macclesfield for a party and I picked DS up from there then I came straight home and fell into bed and DH who had just arrived home from work was given the job of going back at 9.30 to pick DD up - He wasn't a happy bunny - its my fault apparently they go to school there (Catholic School - he's not a catholic) so its my fault they have a lot of friends there - especially DD who has very few here!!!!

Still not feeling great and now DH is on his way home from work early (airport closed at 1.00 due to ash cloud) via Macclesfied with DD & DS who I dropped off there earlier one went to one park and the other went to another so it has been very difficult to get them to a central meeting point - DH has just picked them up from outside the nursery where I used to work and they went to - it was somewhere I knew DH could find - his geography of Macc is not good.

sarah707
16-05-2010, 06:27 PM
It was lovely to meet Laura and Margimum and me and Singlewith3 had a nice gossip!

The meal was lovely and it was very well catered... whoever organised it should be very proud and probably shattered! :laughing:

It was a very nice day all in all and yes, I did very well with the raffle :blush:

Hoping to see everyone again next year! :D

Heaven Scent
16-05-2010, 06:56 PM
It was lovely to meet Laura and Margimum and me and Singlewith3 had a nice gossip!

The meal was lovely and it was very well catered... whoever organised it should be very proud and probably shattered!

It was a very nice day all in all and yes, I did very well with the raffle

Hrmm Hrmm Hrmm, Wot about ME :panic: Was it not nice to meet me too:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: after all you haven't seen me for aboout 3 weeks now - but before that it was February and before that November!!!! before that it was summer half term!!!! - See I remember - if its all too much for you just say and I'll slink off under a stone and not come out again.:ohdear: :ohdear:

Have I missed out anything from the "Code of Practice" thingy.

sarah707
16-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Of course it was nice to meet you Heaven Scent! :clapping:

I just feel that since we chat on the phone most weeks time between our actual meetings flies! :littleangel:

There were 2 things about the Ncma code of practice that really really bothered me...

The first was that the Ncma are trying to show Ncma members as being the only professional childminders out there.

They are saying... hey look parents and everyone else... Ncma members are great!

They have a code of practice and say they are going to follow it.

There's no need to bother with all the rest... come and find out about the Ncma members as they are the best.

Not fair. What about their supposed commitment to support all childminders? :(

The other thing that bothered me was the way they are set out.

At the moment we have the 5 Every Child Matters outcomes to follow...

Then we have the statutory requirements of the Eyfs...

Many childminders also have local initiatives to evidence such as the 'Moving on' document in Cheshire... and many more.

If the Ncma have their way they will then have even more things for childminders to have to evidence...

How many more things do people need to do before they can get on and do their jobs?

There you go then. That's my rant :D

Pipsqueak
16-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Sounds like it was very interesting.
We agreed that the CoP should have Quality (perhaps Professional Quality Standards) in it and my friend who isn't an NCMA member agrees with what Sarah said - what about the others who aren't NCMA.
We agreed about the striking off business, I can understand the principle behind it (and it would be great for NCMA or someone to be able to have the power to go and see the minder in my area who has had 3 complaints made against her by very reliable professional people but Ofsted just say its their word against theres and they can find no evidence of what she 'allegedly' has done.) I do think there should be something in there about a commitment to supporting childminders who find themselves in a dire situation. also that its probably going to pave the way for malicous complaints.

I think this CoP is going to be a real bone of contention.

CAZMCA
17-05-2010, 08:45 AM

The meal was lovely and it was very well catered... whoever organised it should be very proud and probably shattered! :laughing:

It was a very nice day all in all and yes, I did very well with the raffle :blush:

Glad you all enjoyed the ARM, I was one of the helpers and let me tell you I was creamed after spending a few weeks sorting out!

I saw you get your raffle prizes Sarah (it only dawned on me that it was you after reading this thread, lol), sorry I didn't come to chat I was sooooo busy!

Heaven Scent
17-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Glad you all enjoyed the ARM, I was one of the helpers and let me tell you I was creamed after spending a few weeks sorting out!

I saw you get your raffle prizes Sarah (it only dawned on me that it was you after reading this thread, lol), sorry I didn't come to chat I was sooooo busy!

Which one were you? Did you have your name on the back of your T-shirt? If not tell us what you were wearing - I just want to put a face to your name!!!

manjay
17-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Hope you all put these views across while you were there. That is the only way that the powers that be will know how we feel:thumbsup:

IMHO it can never be policed effectively. To me it would make more sense to update the 10 Quality Standards to something along the lines of the code of practice and continue with that in some way or another

Heaven Scent
17-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Hope you all put these views across while you were there. That is the only way that the powers that be will know how we feel:thumbsup:

IMHO it can never be policed effectively. To me it would make more sense to update the 10 Quality Standards to something along the lines of the code of practice and continue with that in some way or another

Yes we did - or at least the people at our ARM did - I cant speak for the the North East ARM but I get the impression they had plenty to say for themselves up there too!!!!