PDA

View Full Version : Can childminders countersign passports

tas
16-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi today I was asked by a friend if I could counter sign their son's passport, but I am unsure whether or not I can. I am thinking yes I can but I don't want to cause any hold ups in getting the passport as they are going on holiday in 6 weeks

Has anyone counter signed a passport?

LOOPYLISA
16-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure tbh, my neighbour has always done ours, shes a nurse :thumbsup:

sarah707
16-05-2010, 03:53 PM
No we can't as far as I know.

:D

TheBTeam
16-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Pretty sure the answer is no.

julie w
16-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes we can.x.

FizzysFriends
16-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Not sure about passports but we can't do ID cards, i was asked to do one last week and couldn't as Im home based.

HELEN10
16-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Definitely no, i have recently enquired for one of my parent's. Obviously not rated by them as professionals :(

ajs
16-05-2010, 05:11 PM
oh well i did my neighbours son and don't think they had any problems with it

funemnx
16-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I have countersigned passports for two of my parents with no problems :thumbsup:

tas
16-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, but I guess im none the wiser! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

With such a mixed bag of yes and no's I best not do it to be on the safe side

Alibali
16-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I would say no, it needs to be a professional person ie doctor, nurse, lawyer, minister etc.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
16-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I contacted the passport office last year and was told YES!

sandy64
16-05-2010, 06:16 PM
i was told if you have a degree you can:)

mrsbumbles
16-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I have and there was not a problem :)

LOOPYLISA
16-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I would say no, it needs to be a professional person ie doctor, nurse, lawyer, minister etc.

:thumbsup:

Monkey26
16-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I have... make sure you put 'Ofsted Registered Childminder', i am also an EYP so put 'Early Years Professional' as well :-) HTH x

Mollymop
16-05-2010, 06:44 PM
YES YOU CAN! I have done 3 now over the course of a year and they have all come back fine

My profession - Ofsted Registered Childminder :thumbsup:

TheBTeam
16-05-2010, 06:46 PM
YES YOU CAN! I have done 3 now over the course of a year and they have all come back fine

My profession - Ofsted Registered Childminder :thumbsup:

Be pleased if that is the case cos some of my family need new passports for next year, I am able to sign under another profession, but you cant sign your own family!

funtoplay
16-05-2010, 06:54 PM
There is a list of the type of person who can counter sign a passport on the government web site. There is also a number you can ring to check.

I think it would depend on how qualified you are.

Hope this helps,

Julia.

Heaven Scent
16-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I do them but put that I am a retired teacher because I have retired from teaching to become a childminder. Ring and check then you can put it on your SEF as another string to your bow in partnership with parents.

caz3007
16-05-2010, 07:06 PM
In a previously life I was a pub landlady and I was allowed to sign passports. Mind you having said that I did have to stand in court and swear on the bible before being granted my licence, so perhaps that had something to do with it

lesley
16-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Yes you can. I have signed with no problems. Just put my ofsted number on it.

Lesley

Twinkles
16-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Wendywu and I have done several for each other and each others family members over the last few years. I have also done some for mindee's parents.

Not only are we recognised as professionals ( must remember to tell my mother in law that ! ) but if you read the passport requirements it says professional or person of standing in the community ( or summat like that ).
I think it's only since we have been regulated by ofsted that this has come about.

auntym
16-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Im confused to. As I rang passport officer and he told me I cant sign for anyone. And I would get fined? Although we are professional we need that bit of paper lol. So now I dont understand lol x x

TammyN
16-05-2010, 07:49 PM
i thought you had to be a level 4/5 qualified to sign passports?
ive just got my ds signed by his school teacher

bekki0405
16-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I do laugh about this whole thing. I mean what makes someone with a degree anymore honest than someone without. I think we have all heard of dishonest bankers, doctors and lawyers, haven't we?
I realise they need a standard, but to say CM's aren't allowed and can be fined is pretty crazy

auntym
16-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes I agree with you! Thats why I rang as in my eyes im professional and registered but was told no! I said but I a professional body but they said I cant. In my eyes especially if its for kids we know them better than the doctors who see them how often? Yes we see them virtually every day x

wendywu
16-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I have done at least 10 over the last few years. Twinkles and another minder friend of mine have just done 4 for my family in the last month.:)

cher25
16-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I wish someone had posted this a month ago. lol I was asked to sign for a parent, i then rang the passport agency and asked them to be told NO, not unless i was a teacher, doctor etc.
Glad to see i can sign them if asked now though.

Blaze
16-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I called & we can - childminders couldn't before OFSTED but now we are registered we can (the rules are / were due to change next year- depending on if the new government interfer) so that only people with level 4 or above can sign - but as things stand we can (we are classed in the same catergory as teachers)
HTH:)

Mollymop
17-05-2010, 06:49 AM
i thought you had to be a level 4/5 qualified to sign passports?
ive just got my ds signed by his school teacher

I used to sign passports when I was a shift manager at a local food processing plant. I had was only qualified to level 2 in production:blush:

I think it depends on how much trust and responsiblility you have in your the job you are doing

Chatterbox Childcare
17-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Yes they can. I have signed a dozen or so and only 1 was returned questioning my "professionalism". I phoned them and they are happy to accept Ofsted as our registering body and now I send a copy of my certificate with every signature.

auntym
17-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Well I wish the person at end of phone in october last yr would have checked properly. Would have saved my family going to doctors and paying. But thanks for clearing it as now also I know for the future x

~Chelle~
17-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I have signed for two of my mindees. I put down that I was an Ofsted Registered Childminder and they called me to confirm my registration number.:thumbsup:

teacake2
17-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I have signed for two mindees as well, and no problems.
Teacake2

loocyloo
17-05-2010, 03:23 PM
i emailed the passport office and explained i was ofsted registered, had a URN, etc etc etc and got the following reply! so i don't understand how some childminders are being accepted! esp as i stated in my email that i was aware that some childminders had been signing and it had not been a problem!

Thank you for your enquiry
Please find the list below of countersignaturies that we use this does not include childminders.
A countersignature is required for the following passport applications:

he person countersigning the application form must live in the UK, hold a current British, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Irish passport and have known the applicant* for minimum 2 years. They must write their valid passport number in section 10 of the form. Old blue passports are not acceptable as a countersignatory's passport.

A countersignature must be a person who enjoys a good reputation in the community and who possesses a current British passport and has credentials that can be checked

Anyone who lives at the same address as you or relatives (including step-parents) are not allowed to sign.

ACCEPTABLE COUNTERSIGNATORIES ARE:

ACCOUNTANT
AIRLINE PILOT
ARTICLED CLERK OF A LIMITED COMPANY
ASSURANCE AGENT OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
BANK/BUILDING SOCIETY OFFICIAL
BARRISTER
BROKER
CHAIRMAN/DIRECTOR OF LIMITED COMPANY
CHEMIST
CHIROPODIST
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE PRACTITIONER
COMMISSIONER OF OATHS
COUNCILLOR: LOCAL OR COUNTY
CIVIL SERVANT (PERMANENT - NON IPS STAFF)
DENTIST
DESIGNATED PREMISES SUPERVISORS
DIRECTOR/MANAGER OF A REGISTERED CHARITY
DIRECTOR/MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A VAT REGISTERED COMPANY*
DOCTOR
DRIVING INSTRUCTOR (must be approved)
ENGINEER (with professional qualifications)
FIRE SERVICE OFFICIAL
FUNERAL DIRECTOR
INSURANCE AGENT (full time) OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
JOURNALIST
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
LEGAL SECRETARY (fellow and associate Members of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICER
MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A LTD COMPANY(COMPANY ADDRESS)
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT (MP)
MEMBER OF HER MAJESTY'S ARMED FORCES
MERCHANT NAVY OFFICER
MINISTER OF A RECOGNISED RELIGION
NURSE (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered General Nurse (RGN) or holder of a BA (Hons/BSc/Diploma in nursing)
OFFICERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES (ACTIVE OR RETIRED)
OPTICIAN
PARALEGAL (Certified Paralegals, Qualified Paralegal and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals)
PERSON WITH HONOURS (e.g. OBE, MBE, etc.)
PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS (People formerly known as a licencee of a public house ONLY)
PHOTOGRAPHER (PROFESSIONAL)
POLICE OFFICER
POST OFFICE OFFICIAL
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS OF BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY, INCLUDING ASSOCIATE (AMBCS), MEMBER (MBCS) AND FELLOW (FBCS)
PRESIDENT/SECRETARY OF A RECOGNISED ORGANISATION
SALVATION ARMY OFFICER
SOCIAL WORKER
SOLICITOR
STATE REGISTERED PARAMEDIC
SURVEYOR
TEACHER/LECTURER
TRADE UNION OFFICIAL
TRAVEL AGENT (QUALIFIED)
VALUERS AND AUCTIONEERS (FELLOW AND ASSOCIATE MEMBERS OF THE INCORPORATED SOCIETY)
WARRANT OFFICERS AND CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS

Any retired professional person can countersign, e.g. Retired Teacher. They should give as their occupation their former title followed by (retired)

If a professional person has not retired and no longer works in the field their qualifications relate to they cannot sign. The exceptions to this are members of professional bodies e.g. Chartered Accountants, Chartered Surveys, Solicitors, Barristers etc. They can countersign and state that they are retired or non-practicing and then give the name of the professional body to which they belong.

Thank you.
Customer service e-mail team

Hebs
17-05-2010, 03:32 PM
A countersignature must be a person who enjoys a good reputation in the community and who possesses a current British passport and has credentials that can be checked

guess that rules us out then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

honestly, do they not realise what we go through to do our job??? :angry:

editted to add........ what makes a travel agent more qualified to do this than us?? :angry: :angry: :angry:

LOOPYLISA
17-05-2010, 03:56 PM
i emailed the passport office and explained i was ofsted registered, had a URN, etc etc etc and got the following reply! so i don't understand how some childminders are being accepted! esp as i stated in my email that i was aware that some childminders had been signing and it had not been a problem!

Thank you for your enquiry
Please find the list below of countersignaturies that we use this does not include childminders.
A countersignature is required for the following passport applications:

he person countersigning the application form must live in the UK, hold a current British, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Irish passport and have known the applicant* for minimum 2 years. They must write their valid passport number in section 10 of the form. Old blue passports are not acceptable as a countersignatory's passport.

Anyone who lives at the same address as you or relatives (including step-parents) are not allowed to sign.

ACCEPTABLE COUNTERSIGNATORIES ARE:

ACCOUNTANT
AIRLINE PILOT
ARTICLED CLERK OF A LIMITED COMPANY
ASSURANCE AGENT OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
BANK/BUILDING SOCIETY OFFICIAL
BARRISTER
BROKER
CHAIRMAN/DIRECTOR OF LIMITED COMPANY
CHEMIST
CHIROPODIST
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE PRACTITIONER
COMMISSIONER OF OATHS
COUNCILLOR: LOCAL OR COUNTY
CIVIL SERVANT (PERMANENT - NON IPS STAFF)
DENTIST
DESIGNATED PREMISES SUPERVISORS
DIRECTOR/MANAGER OF A REGISTERED CHARITY
DIRECTOR/MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A VAT REGISTERED COMPANY*
DOCTOR
DRIVING INSTRUCTOR (must be approved)
ENGINEER (with professional qualifications)
FIRE SERVICE OFFICIAL
FUNERAL DIRECTOR
INSURANCE AGENT (full time) OF A RECOGNISED COMPANY
JOURNALIST
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
LEGAL SECRETARY (fellow and associate Members of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICER
MANAGER/PERSONNEL OFFICER OF A LTD COMPANY(COMPANY ADDRESS)
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT (MP)
MEMBER OF HER MAJESTY'S ARMED FORCES
MERCHANT NAVY OFFICER
MINISTER OF A RECOGNISED RELIGION
NURSE (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered General Nurse (RGN) or holder of a BA (Hons/BSc/Diploma in nursing)
OFFICERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES (ACTIVE OR RETIRED)
OPTICIAN
PARALEGAL (Certified Paralegals, Qualified Paralegal and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals)
PERSON WITH HONOURS (e.g. OBE, MBE, etc.)
PERSONAL LICENCE HOLDERS (People formerly known as a licencee of a public house ONLY)
PHOTOGRAPHER (PROFESSIONAL)
POLICE OFFICER
POST OFFICE OFFICIAL
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERS OF BRITISH COMPUTER SOCIETY, INCLUDING ASSOCIATE (AMBCS), MEMBER (MBCS) AND FELLOW (FBCS)
PRESIDENT/SECRETARY OF A RECOGNISED ORGANISATION
SALVATION ARMY OFFICER
SOCIAL WORKER
SOLICITOR
STATE REGISTERED PARAMEDIC
SURVEYOR
TEACHER/LECTURER
TRADE UNION OFFICIAL
TRAVEL AGENT (QUALIFIED)
VALUERS AND AUCTIONEERS (FELLOW AND ASSOCIATE MEMBERS OF THE INCORPORATED SOCIETY)
WARRANT OFFICERS AND CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS

Any retired professional person can countersign, e.g. Retired Teacher. They should give as their occupation their former title followed by (retired)

If a professional person has not retired and no longer works in the field their qualifications relate to they cannot sign. The exceptions to this are members of professional bodies e.g. Chartered Accountants, Chartered Surveys, Solicitors, Barristers etc. They can countersign and state that they are retired or non-practicing and then give the name of the professional body to which they belong.

Thank you.
Customer service e-mail team

I didnt think cm could sign

Hey ho im not one anymore so i will worry no more, thank goodness our neighbour is a nurse and does it free of charge for us :D

wendywu
17-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Well i will still sign them as they are not being returned.
Twinkles has just done my DD and DH and my other minder friend did me and my other DD. Just last month. So i would not panic about it.:panic:

Heaven Scent
17-05-2010, 05:08 PM
guess that rules us out then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

honestly, do they not realise what we go through to do our job??? :angry:

editted to add........ what makes a travel agent more qualified to do this than us?? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Heckey Thump I'm sure I don't know but as I'm a qualified Travel Agent - I can be quite truthful and say I still don't get it - I also hadn't realised that travel agents could do it. And then ofcourse way way back many centuries ago in a past life (When I lived in Dublin) I was a Legal Secretary so there you go - I'm just going to keep on signing them.

In Ireland its only a Police man who can sign them and about 12 years ago when I went over there i was renewing my passport and when I went to the station the police man said he didn't know me - My reply was that surely that is the whole point - it I was known to the police then I'm not a suitable candidate to be let loose on other countries. He just laughed and signed it.

auntym
17-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Ive just rang them now, explained enquiry and she said hold on il check, she kept me holding afew mins and came back and said "do you have an ofsted certificate" so i said yes, her reply was " as long as u have a cert and can record your number on the passport application you can" so after being told no last year ive now been told yes!!!
therefore will do it :)

Hebs
17-05-2010, 07:28 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Minstrel
17-05-2010, 07:55 PM
And yet clearly photographers hold more of a standing in our community than cm's!

Says it all really!

juejue
17-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I have done 4 up to now and have 2 more here to do and they have never came back. So I would say YES

Hebs
17-05-2010, 08:22 PM
And yet clearly photographers hold more of a standing in our community than cm's!

Says it all really!

and a chiropdist
:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
17-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Well I am going to try my childminder friend for my daughters, have enough time to have it returned, so will give it ago!