PDA

View Full Version : Working with another reg Childminder

Johanna
16-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Need some advice please as I'm not to sure how to do this.

I minding from our property with another childminder who is also a friend. I would hate for something like this to ruin our friendship. I understand in her own right she is reg and self employed but how do you do the money. As I pay the bills, buy the food extra cleaning products and have bought all the enquipment and big storage ect, art & crafts. I'm also the one doing the paper work about 90% of time. Cleaning of toys and rooms.
I'm also the only one that drives.

I do early mornings that starts at 6.30 till about 9am.
I'm as most childminders are in this job because I love working with children but feels that this is becoming a issue as I feel she thinks we split the money we get in half which means I'm left of worst every month.

About the contract for mindies do you do seperate or together as we have done that till this point.

Thanks for looking.

sarah707
16-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I would make a list of all the main responsibilities... buying food, driving to outings, writing up paperwork, cooking, cleaning up after the children, organising activities etc.

Go through them all and decide who does what.

Make sure it's an even split ... so for example, she could keep the children busy with a planned activity while you write up the day's paperwork...

She could be cooking the tea while you tidy the playroom and clean the toys.

I feel that will help you both see how you can contribute equally to the partnership.

I would say you have your own children / contracts then if the partnership does fail you are still able to work independently.

Good luck with it all :D

christine e
16-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Word of caution see if you need planning permission if you are minding more than a total of 6 under 8's. Someone recently posted on here that she has had to apply for planning permission because she is working with an assistant and is having problems obtaining it.

Christine

Johanna
16-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Word of caution see if you need planning permission if you are minding more than a total of 6 under 8's. Someone recently posted on here that she has had to apply for planning permission because she is working with an assistant and is having problems obtaining it.

Christine

Hi Christine,
I have been told by the council that I would need to apply for permission. I though I will only apply when we have 6 children which is now.
I have work hard to get here and it has taken allot of my finances as well as time away from my family so the council would have to be ready for a battle because I'm not backing down even if it take years. Most people that live round here have children and they can all be heard playing outside so I can't see that as a problem. Our road is suppose to be not busy but since we lived here it's as busy as the previous busy road we live on.

Thanks for advice.

Johanna
16-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I would make a list of all the main responsibilities... buying food, driving to outings, writing up paperwork, cooking, cleaning up after the children, organising activities etc.

Go through them all and decide who does what.

Make sure it's an even split ... so for example, she could keep the children busy with a planned activity while you write up the day's paperwork...

She could be cooking the tea while you tidy the playroom and clean the toys.

I feel that will help you both see how you can contribute equally to the partnership.

I would say you have your own children / contracts then if the partnership does fail you are still able to work independently.

Good luck with it all :D

Thanks Sarah. Would draw up a list tonight.
She is very hard working and do her bit when here but I still end up doing most.

Johanna
16-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Me again.

Can I just say the reason for writing this thread is because I want to make sure that I pay her as she needs to as she is struggeling already and I don't think it would be fare on either one of us to be under payed. And yes we have though of the whole working thing together for along time and we work well together and always has.

I was just wondering if there's anyone who works together and how they work out the money.

This has really been bothering me all weekend and I feel like a rubbish friend for discussing this matter on the forum but I also don't want to get it wrong when we talk.

huggableshelly
16-05-2010, 08:27 PM
as sarah has said, devise a "job" list so it is easier to share the work load.

seperate contracts will ensure that each child has a keyworker - meaning she is resonsable for the EYFS with the children she is contracted with .. and same with you and the children contracted to you.

sort out finances so she gains her fees from her contracted children but then pays her share of the heating, phone, food, toys etc etc. she would then put this through her books as outgoings. You would need to put this through as an income but then deduct it again against the things you pay out for.

it needs to be worked that both of you benefit from earning with neither of you being out of pocket. if you feel this will put pressure on your friendship then it may be worth splitting up so she works from her own home but still ahve the friendship and meet up with the children daily which still kinda allows you both to work together yet seperatly.

suzyblue
17-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi there, I worked with another childminder and we split the money 50-50 but then she paid me rent for working in my house. Luckily we worked well together and who did what was never an issue. Its not easy working like this though and you should try and go through everything even things like does she pay rent on holidays (like keeping the space as in childminding) or only on the days she is working? Try and think of everything!

Johanna
20-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi there, I worked with another childminder and we split the money 50-50 but then she paid me rent for working in my house. Luckily we worked well together and who did what was never an issue. Its not easy working like this though and you should try and go through everything even things like does she pay rent on holidays (like keeping the space as in childminding) or only on the days she is working? Try and think of everything!

Hi, Sorry for late reply. If I may ask how do you decide how much she pay rent? Do you work out the bills?

Thanks!!!

Johanna
20-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We have now discuss the matter in more detail and would draw up a plan.

:)