PDA

View Full Version : House size

JennyM
16-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Hello all

I haven't been on for a while as shortly after I got my registration through, I found out I was pregnant! So I've put childminding on hold for a bit.

We are planning to move in the next few months (have a buyer for our flat, just looking for somewhere to buy now) and we can't afford a really big house. It may be that my lounge is going to be the main room I will mind from.

We will also have a garden and I suppose can use the children's bedroom for playing too. We will have a shed/garage for storage too.

Will this put Parent's off do you think? Do they expect playrooms or seperate dining areas as rooms to play in etc?

I am looking at placed we view with a childminding head on aswell as for our home but I worry that we can't afford a place big enough.

Please let me know your opinions!

Thank you.

aly
16-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I wouldnt worry about that so much...my lounge is our main room. I am only registerd for downstairs so dont have the bedrroms...I do have a very large garden though but even then I dont think it would put people off...i think as long as you can have somewhere for them to play and outside and also a park close by you should be ok

x

singingcactus
16-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I only have a small house too, filled with 2 teens one large preschooler and my husband and self. We use the lounge for preschoolers to play in, and have the insanely tiny dining room set up with the computers that the older kids can play in. (dining room is too small to actually fit a dining table and chairs in).
I have had no trouble getting clients because of not having a play room - people like the way I have my home set up, well resourced but we all use the home like a home, if you understand what I mean :D
You'll be fine! :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
16-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I used to have a terraced house with medium sized lounge/diner. It was fine and no trouble getting mindees - made the most of available space :thumbsup: It was my home at the end of the day and worked for me then :)

Now got a bigger house with playroom - very small one :) My kids are now teens so it's good to keep the toys out of the way on evenings and at weekends. Works for me now :thumbsup:

Just make the most of what you have :)

francinejayne
16-05-2010, 09:17 PM
When I was going thro the reg process I made friends with a lovely experienced Cm near to me. She lives on a very busy dual carriageway, has a tiny backgarden, has one room downstairs for minding purposes that is her lounge and dining room combined - it is not huge and quite cluttered with all CM things.
On paper i wouldn't choose her to look after my son due to all of the above.
After getting to know her I wouldn't hesitate to let her look after him, her house just isn't important to me (of course it is completely clean so if it wasn't that would be an issue), as it is her I would choose - not her house! If the CM is right then the house doesn't matter in my opinion!

estrelas
16-05-2010, 09:20 PM
When I was going thro the reg process I made friends with a lovely experienced Cm near to me. She lives on a very busy dual carriageway, has a tiny backgarden, has one room downstairs for minding purposes that is her lounge and dining room combined - it is not huge and quite cluttered with all CM things.
On paper i wouldn't choose her to look after my son due to all of the above.
After getting to know her I wouldn't hesitate to let her look after him, her house just isn't important to me (of course it is completely clean so if it wasn't that would be an issue), as it is her I would choose - not her house! If the CM is right then the house doesn't matter in my opinion!

:thumbsup: great way to think

I also use my front room, as i have little space. In an ideal world I would love a play room, but it hasn't affected me getting mindees I am almost full :D

JennyM
17-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone, that is really reassuring.

We are going to look at a few properties this week so fingers crossed we'll find something we like and can afford!

Twinklestars
17-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I use my lounge too and all toys etc is in the under stairs cupboard and I just get out what I need, the inspector was quite happy with this :)

kayleighmeakin
17-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Hello My name is Kayleigh and I have just joined this site. I have a big question that any of you may be able to answer.
I live in a flat above a shop. Could i still childmind?

HELP PLEASE!

francinejayne
17-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Hello My name is Kayleigh and I have just joined this site. I have a big question that any of you may be able to answer.
I live in a flat above a shop. Could i still childmind?

HELP PLEASE!

I don't see why not as long as it is safe for the children, and you have the required space. If you don't have your own garden then you'll have to think about how you will provide outdoor provision for the children (go to the local park?)

kayleighmeakin
17-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Also i don't have any understairs storage so could I just buy a cupboard and put all the toys and everything in their??

And do you have to have a big kitchen?

I have not registed as a childminder yet so I wanted to join this site so I could ask questions because I don't want to pay for reg and my flat not to be suitable
x