PDA

View Full Version : New Assistant

suzyblue
16-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys!
I have an assistant and my registration says 'may care for 4 under 5 when working with an assistant.....must have permission form parents....blah blah blah.

Does this mean that as long as the requirements are met I can have another assistant without informing Ofsted?

sonia ann
16-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't understand ..........the condition on your certificate refers to your current assistant.......if you take on another assistant you will have to let Ofsted know and send in the appropriate forms....what is it that you are asking....have I misunderstood?

Mouse
16-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Your certificate applies to a specific assistant. It doesn't just mean any assistant. This is what it says in the Ofsted factsheet:

You cannot just ask parents to give their permission about using assistants. This
includes any arrangements you want to make to leave children alone with assistants.
We must check assistants to make sure they are suitable to be in contact with
children and we must agree to any arrangements you want to have to leave
assistants alone with children. The law says that you must tell us the name and
address of any assistant before employing or using them. You must also tell us about
your planned arrangements to use assistants. You must give us these details in
writing unless we are told at an inspection or other visit. You must also tell us if you
change assistants.
We decide if assistants are suitable by carrying out checks, including checks with the
Criminal Records Bureau and by checking your arrangements for using assistants.
We need each proposed assistant’s permission to do the checks and a declaration
from the proposed assistant about their suitability."

You can find the factsheet here:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Childminders-using-assistants/(language)/eng-GB

suzyblue
16-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks - As my registration doesnt name my assistant and I will be using a different assistant in September (who I previously worked with as a childminder) and she has had checks, first aid etc I wasnt sure if Ofsted needed to know her name.
I will now let them know.

Mouse
16-05-2010, 06:11 PM
An assistant is never named on the certificate (as far as I know), but it only relates to the person you have told Ofsted about. Perhaps the certificates should be reworded "when working with the named assistant".

And don't be surprised if Ofsted ask for another CRB :rolleyes: