PDA

View Full Version : Learning british sign language

cher25
15-05-2010, 10:22 PM
If i was to do a course on this, would i be able to put the cost of it through the books?

I would be doing it to be able to take on deaf children if needed. Thought it might open up a whole new world of possibilities.

Pipsqueak
16-05-2010, 07:08 AM
I see you brain has been ticking over!!!:D

I am going to put my third year through my books - I wouldn't be doing it otherwise if it weren't for minding!

:thumbsup:

aly
16-05-2010, 10:52 AM
defo.....:thumbsup:

cher25
16-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I see you brain has been ticking over!!!:D

It sure has! I've always wanted to learn it. Just never looked into it properly.

Hebs is going to do it with me. Got her going aswell. hehe

Hebs
16-05-2010, 12:06 PM
i think it will be great for provideing an inclusive setting :D

Helen Dempster
16-05-2010, 09:49 PM
oh, I've always wanted to learn sign...I think I'm gonna do this too (thanks for asking the question!!!) :) :clapping:

beccas
17-05-2010, 12:05 PM
i did with mine and i have lots of stuff from chelltune shop shes is chell on here she has a fab suply of books etc..

Shar
17-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I have done "signalong" 1&2 (bsl for children) which was provided by my LA. Have a look at the courses on offer with your LA first before paying for them.:thumbsup:

Chell
17-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I have done "signalong" 1&2 (bsl for children) which was provided by my LA. Have a look at the courses on offer with your LA first before paying for them.:thumbsup:

Sign along is a little different to BSL. With sign along you speak as normal and use the signs from BSL.

If you go to college to learn BSL then you sign in the work order of Bristish Sign Language. For example, in English I'd say, 'do you want a cup of tea?', in sign along you'd say the same thing while signing. In BSL you'd sign and have a lip pattern, 'tea, you want?'.

BSL is a language in it's own right and has been recognised as one in this country for about 8 years. I'm not up to date on the stats but used to be the fourth most used language in this country. I'm not sure if those stats are the same now as we have so many imigrants. Over 70,000 in the UK use BSL as their first or preferred language.