PDA

View Full Version : tonsilitis....arghhh!

TammyN
15-05-2010, 09:27 PM
well a parent called on Tuesday to say her lo had tonsilitis, had antibiotics but was fine and doc said it's not contagious so he attended normal sessions on Thursday and Friday. i checked with my department of health guidelines and it said there was no period of distance needed!
by yesterday afternoon my dd(age 3) was sleepy, high temp so this afternoon i took her to out of hours and guess what.... she has tonsilitis :angry: i'm so cross now as my doctor has said it is contagious with lo's as they are close in contact for long spells!
what would you have done? i'm possibly now going to lose money as he has said keep her off pre school for 3 days, antibiotics for 5 days.
so what do you do? was i wrong to take him?
Tammy

Pipsqueak
15-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Some docs say tonsillitus is catchy others don't - suppose it depends if it is bacterial or viral, whether the person is pre-disposed to it etc.

Throughly recommend grapes - they help soothe a sore throat and luke warm drinks (not cold) as the warmth helps to relax the throat. After all three of my kids suffering through tonsillitus - youngest had to have his removed at the age of 2 poor baby

TammyN
16-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Some docs say tonsillitus is catchy others don't - suppose it depends if it is bacterial or viral, whether the person is pre-disposed to it etc.

Throughly recommend grapes - they help soothe a sore throat and luke warm drinks (not cold) as the warmth helps to relax the throat. After all three of my kids suffering through tonsillitus - youngest had to have his removed at the age of 2 poor baby

thanx pip, she coping really well to be honest, she won't eat grapes tho!
she slept well last night anyway :clapping:

littletreasures
16-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Warm/hot ribena is a godsend for sore throats/tonsillitus.

I also gave my son spoonfuls of honey. He said this was really soothing
He had his tonsils out when he was 6. He used to miss a couple of days of school every 3 weeks. I still used to childmind. He just lay in bed watching videos or on the sofa.

I couldn't have held down any other job as he was always ill.

Hope she feels better soon xx

sarah707
16-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Ouch! That's not fair.

The trouble with tonsillitis is that you can't usually tell what type it is without sending swabs off... and docs don't usually bother with that because of the cost and the time it takes.

I think you've just been unlucky really don't blame yourself.

I hope dd feels better soon. She might enjoy some ice cream with honey, that will soothe her throat.

Hugs to her xx

TammyN
16-05-2010, 07:45 PM
thanx for all your comments :) Maddi is much better today and so will work tomorrow but have informed the parents just so they can have the choice!

i'm abit calmer now, i was just so annoyed the other day when i realised, i'm gonna just review my sickness policy as i want to make sure i don't put my own children at risk of catching stuff if others are poorly and should be at home anyway!

karen m
16-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Glad maddie is feeling better , speak to you soon,by the way parent said not contagious so don't beat yourself up sending you both hugs