PDA

View Full Version : Employed or self employed? Husband as an assistant

cloud9
15-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,

My OH is registered as my assistant and is hopefully going to start with me in june/july time.

Can he be classed as self employed for this and just complete a tax return at the end of the year? I'm sure you can do this but looking at the guidelines and questions on HMRC's website it appears as if he would be classed as employed?

Can he just call and advise them he is self employed or are they going to ask him certain questions to ascertain what is status is?

Any advice would be greatly received.
:panic:

Shivvie
15-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi. I work with my husband and he is my assistant. We are registered with the Inland Revenue as a partnership, both self-employed, so split the profit at the end of the year straight down the middle.

We have a personal tax return to complete and a partnership form.

Hope this helps x:)

cloud9
16-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Thank you:)

TheBTeam
16-05-2010, 01:50 PM
My dh and i worked as childminder and assistant before he registered as a childminder, he registered as self employed in his own right, we do one set of books and split stuff down the middle. We were told we didnt need a partnership as we were married, we only needed to have a partnership agreement if we wanted to formalise our working arrangement in case of disputes.

Blue Boy
17-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Sally and I are registered with thetax people as a partnership as well. We fill in seperate tax returns and one a a partnership. Our accountant does all the work for us and we split the years profit down the middle.