PDA

View Full Version : should i have a support childminder?????

emmadines
25-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi

althought you all are a GREAT SUPPORT NETWORK! and are absalutly fantastic at it!! am I supposed to have a "support childminder"?? even tho I am in the process of regestering??
i just wondered as a friend of mine who has just completed her DCH1 course has just been contacted be hers.

i did my DCH1 end of november plus ive been setting up since just before christmas and not a dicky bird!

am slightly confused if i should have been apointed one by now????

emma
xx:panic: :panic:

Alibali
25-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry can't help. We don't have support Childminders in my area, sounds like a great idea though.

Ali :)

Kelly
25-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Emma

I am a support childminder and in our area once you are registered Ofsted pass the information onto the Childrens Info Service and you are allocted a support childminder. So you will get one but need to wait until your registration is complete.

In our area, we are not given details of any childminders still in the process of registering, so not sure about your friend.

Hope this helps a little

Kelly

katickles
25-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Think this is different depending where you live. I filled in a form & didn't hear anything for ages & then met my support childminder by chance at some training. We just got chatting & then I got a message on my answerphone to let me know i'd been paired up with the same lady.

How did your friend hear about hers - do you have a phone number tha you could get in touch with someone & chase things up? :)

jmoff
25-03-2008, 01:38 PM
We have support childminders here, they look after about 20 childminders each. So sometimis, if you are given their number , you need to chase them up, call them for info as they are busy.

We have these training advisers (or whatever they are called) who I always call if I am stuck. They are really good as there are close to 400 cms in the borough and they know everybody by their name...but thats a different story, oops, sorry!

If you have anyone like that in your area , get in touch with them and I am sure they will put you in the right direction.

Jana x

Blaze
25-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Can't be much help on this one, as my support minder called once (whilst i was still registering) & i never heard from her again!
Tasha:)

deeb66
25-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Not all areas do the Support Scheme.

In Surrey all applicants are given details about the Support Scheme when they go for the initial brifing meeting.

They are advised to contact the Early Years Team if they want support who will assigned them to a Support Minder who lives close to them. It is done quite early so that the minder can offer support during the registering process and help with forms etc if the person needs it.

In most areas you can still ask to opt in the Support Scheme even if you said no in the beginning.

The best thing to do is contact your early Years Team and ask and they should be able to help.

littlestar
25-03-2008, 04:03 PM
hi i was given a form to fill in and send back to ofsted who then came and seen me and arranged for me to be paired with someone locally they asked if i knew any other childminders that i would be happy with after this i got a letter confiming who it was and her contact details my support childminder rings me once a month and i have been round to her house and she helps me with any problems i have i would ring ofsted and ask for the details she can be good for contacts and if anyone rings they can pass on your details if they are full

sarah707
25-03-2008, 04:04 PM
They don't run that scheme in this area... which is a pity as I would love to be one! :(

crazybones
25-03-2008, 04:17 PM
They don't run that scheme in this area... which is a pity as I would love to be one! :(

If you were one Sarah I would be moving house to get you. :thumbsup:

sarah707
25-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Awww! Thanks :blush:

manjay
25-03-2008, 04:49 PM

I am sure you already qualify as my support minder :D The scheme is not available where I live but I do have a close friend who has to help me as it is her that got me into this mess in the first place :rolleyes:

amanda xx

Mollymop
25-03-2008, 05:40 PM
We have support childminders in my area they are called "buddies" but I didn't put my name down for one as I know I would feel bad phoning her and asking advice, etc. I have a friend who is a childminder and I am meeting more and more in my town, so they are there if I need to ask anything or need any help.
My ofsted inspector asked me why I hadn't put my name down to receive a "buddy" and I told her the truth, I felt I didn't need one and I get lots of support from this site. She typed all this down on her lap top and was muttering "good, that's good" to herself as she did it. :cool: (she wanted to know the forum's name so she is probably spying on us right now!)

emmadines
25-03-2008, 06:01 PM
We have support childminders in my area they are called "buddies" but I didn't put my name down for one as I know I would feel bad phoning her and asking advice, etc. I have a friend who is a childminder and I am meeting more and more in my town, so they are there if I need to ask anything or need any help.
My ofsted inspector asked me why I hadn't put my name down to receive a "buddy" and I told her the truth, I felt I didn't need one and I get lots of support from this site. She typed all this down on her lap top and was muttering "good, that's good" to herself as she did it. :cool: (she wanted to know the forum's name so she is probably spying on us right now!)

haha come out! coume out where ever you are lol

i called the NCMA and i get one once im registered!

Pauline
25-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm a support minder and we don't get new minders allocated until after they have been registered. Around here you are automatically put on the scheme and have to actually say if you don't want it, rather than have to ask to be put on it, if you get what I mean.

Are you attending any pre-registration induction meetings? If so they should have information about the support scheme or even have a support minder attending to help explain the scheme.

Sandra - you mustn't feel bad about asking for advice, that's what we are here for and I love it if one of mine phones! :)

emmadines
25-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm a support minder and we don't get new minders allocated until after they have been registered. Around here you are automatically put on the scheme and have to actually say if you don't want it, rather than have to ask to be put on it, if you get what I mean.

Are you attending any pre-registration induction meetings? If so they should have information about the support scheme or even have a support minder attending to help explain the scheme.

Sandra - you mustn't feel bad about asking for advice, that's what we are here for and I love it if one of mine phones! :)

I did those meetings in november! They said something about it! just couldnt remember if I had one alocatied before of after I was registered or even if I might have been missed off for one reason or other! if that makes sence!

Tatia
26-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm a support minder, as well. We are sent details through of people who have done the two pre-reg evenings so we can support them through the entire process.

I had a support minder when I first started and she was invaluable. I'd recommend having one cos if you really don't need the support, thenI just make a touch-base phone call once a month to see how things are getting on. However, if you do have a sudden problem, you can give me a jingle.

Not that this site isn't fantastic for that but it's good to have someone in the know from your particular area because things are sodifferent all over (case in point the support scheme itself!:D ).