PDA

View Full Version : issue with after school children - unprofessional or unreasonable

mrs.h
14-05-2010, 10:02 PM
hi,

i have been looking after two brothers (8 & 5) 3 days a week after school for almost a year now. the older boy is in my ds year at school. in the last couple of weeks there have been more and more incidents that made me rethink my position. i understand that after schoolies are full of beans after sitting in a class room for 6 hours but these two are difficult to handle. they wind my 3 year old up, don't listen when i tell them not to do certain things because the little one copies them (climbing the fence, shouting "my sons name - i am killing you") and today the older one swore badly.

are these enough reasons to give notice? mum knows about the issues and the older boy is often in trouble at school but she has to work full time and relies on breakfast club, her parents and me. i would feel bad but i don't want my children to be around some one that swears and over all don't have manners.

am i being unprofessional or unreasonable?

any input would be appreciated, i feel as if i am in a right pickle here.

mrs.h

wendywu
14-05-2010, 10:43 PM
These are enough reasons in my mind to end the contract.

You could have a word with the parents and say you will be coming down hard on the oldest mindee. You will be setting the boundaries for them. Be really stern and scary with them.

But when they are good be very very nice. It works for me :thumbsup:

wellybelly
15-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Everything you've wrote in your post are very good reasons.

You have a duty of care to all the children in your setting and ofcourse your own children too. As a parent I would not want to subject my own children to swearing or abusive language like "I'm going to kill you". I think the other children's (if you have any at the same time) parents would also expect this.

It's not your problem that she works full time and relies on out of school care, it's hers. Maybe they are craving for her attention (sorry a bit harsh that) how do other parents manage?

Best of Luck

mrs.h
15-05-2010, 06:45 PM
hello,

thank you for your answers. they have been as i expected and i think i will go ahead with giving notice. my only worry is that my ds will be bullied by the mindee because he will have to go to the after school club and he doesn't want that. therefore he will probably look for someone to let steam off on.

would i have to give a reason when i give notice?

mrs.h

Jelly Baby
15-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi they sound very similar to my mindees BUT i only do school runs with them so i feel like it isn't wuite as bad as only have to spend about 10 mins in the morning and afternoon with them..still i have spoke to parents and nothing improving so may be notice for me too. IF they were after schoolers like you then yes i agree you should give notice..you dont have to say why either.
Good luck x