PDA

View Full Version : Storage

terrydoo73
13-05-2010, 09:46 PM
That old bug bearer of mine yet again! Aaaaghhh storage!

I have 22 boxes of toys plus all the extras of large stuff such as garage, kitchen, small house etc as well as 9 craft boxes, shelves of books and games, large storage boxes of pram accessories, bicycle helmets, seasonal boxes in addition to high chairs, prams and pushchairs, cots, tents, tunnels etc. I would love to reduce the amount of stuff I have but do not have a clue where on earth to start.

I rotate my toys bringing out a different box or 2 every half hour. At present I have twins aged 2 so they do not use a lot of craft items but have access to mark making materials, play dough, moon sand etc Everything is stored in a room that is really the master bedroom in my house which unfortunately is right beside my living room (small house only 3 bedrooms!) Obviously there is nothing that relates to a bedroom apart from a large mirrored wardrobe which holds all my paperwork and is locked away out of the children's hands.

Do you ever feel like that? Have you any tactics on how to reduce the stuff?
I have to say that each of the storage boxes are fill to the throat with clear labels and photos on the front stating what is inside - blocks, music instruments, kitchen accessories, interest and small world items.

Dragonfly
14-05-2010, 05:34 AM
After 14 years of childminding, I got that toys etc were taking over my house and garden. Last year I reduced two sheds to 1, getting rrid of the less used toys. There is only so much a child can play with.we do not need as much as most of us have got, so I would sell/charity things that you dont think they would miss.

huggableshelly
14-05-2010, 05:38 AM
at the moment everything that does not get played with is at my sis inlaws house then i swap the toys over every 3 months so she hasnt got to buy anything and i gain more storage, so no realy help other than find someones house to off load some stuff!

AnnieM
14-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Well last year decided I was giving up minding after 15 years, I got rid of some of my bigger items on ebay and car boot sale then gave all the rest away to charity shops and freecycle!!! As you can see I am still here, so have had to start all over again. I saw it as a fresh start to buy fresh toys and resources as most of the stuff I had was my sons (who will be 21 this year!) or had been collected in my earlier years of minding, so was outdated. I now have much nicer stuff but nowhere near as much of it, still loads and fills all the storage boxes in my dining room, but not as much as I had before. :panic:

I would start by getting some toys out and if the kids don't seem bothered with them, or only play with them for a very short time, put them to one side to be recycled (sold on ebay, not given away like I did..... :( ), obviously though this depends on the ages of children you care for.

Mookins
14-05-2010, 08:11 AM
you could sell them on here, us newbies would be more than grateful for items you no longer want
much prefer buying from people i feel i can trust than a random number or name on ebay:idea:
hth
xx x

terrydoo73
14-05-2010, 10:07 AM
OK so you have given me the incentive - now how do I go about selling on here? I want to do it with obvious pictures etc - any help anyone?

terrydoo73
14-05-2010, 01:35 PM
These are the photos I am going to get rid of - if you are interested in any let me know!!

http://www3.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3066379006/a=95698270_95698270/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Mookins
14-05-2010, 01:51 PM
might be better to link them on the for salepage hun, then loads will see them

now gonna have a nose

x xx

Mookins
14-05-2010, 01:54 PM
oh...do we have to have an account to open the file on snapfish?

x x x

miffy
14-05-2010, 02:32 PM
oh...do we have to have an account to open the file on snapfish?

x x x

Yes, it's free to register though and then you can view

Miffy xx

funemnx
14-05-2010, 02:39 PM
My own children are adults now and I don't like to see my work-related toys at all at the weekend, so it all goes in 1 shed in the garden. I had a big clear out last summer and either threw or gave away half of my stuff, and haven't missed any of it :thumbsup:

terrydoo73
14-05-2010, 03:14 PM
OK I have them now listed on the For Sale section of this forum - you better be quick though as there is loads of interest already!

terrydoo73
15-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok so think I have got rid of loads of my peg puzzles, chinese clothes and other bits and bobs. Have also tried to sell on Ebay - the 2 dolls styling heads sold Ok but not much else. I do not really want to go for a car boot sale as it is a hit and miss type of thing. Anyone any other suggestions of where I might get rid of stuff - would like to obviously sell if can so I could use it for the future business?

If you haven't already seen my items - they are on the For Sale section of this forum!!

Mookins
15-05-2010, 04:54 PM
dont know if they have it in your area hun but we have a cheapcycle aswel as a freecycle
the cheapcycle in my area you can list items for sale but nothing over £500

hth

x x