PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me decide what to do please?

LottieLuLu
25-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm new to this site, which has been recommended by another childminder, who found lots of help with a problem. So I'm hoping you can do the same for me. (I have family committments outside work that limit the time I can spend on-line so forgive me if I sometimes disappear, I will appreciate any help you can give me!)

I've been looking looking after a Little One aged 3 since Oct 07. A lovely child, of whom I'm very fond and who has really become part of the family.

She attends a pre-school half day session every week day. I'm paid for 5 days as I cover all hols, inset days etc etc. The school have now offered 3 full days and 2 half days. Parents have asked that they can pay me 2 and half days term time and 5 days during hols. This effectively halves my income from this child for about 3/4 of the year. On the back of this contract I've booked a holiday. If I give notice I'll be in a financial crisis.

A) What should I do? Do you think I could ask to be paid in full for the 2 days and get a 50% retainer for the other days?

B) I was soft hearted when she started and didn't get paid in advance (as stated in the contract). Should I ask that this is honoured and that I'm paid in full for this next month?

All advice offered and experiences shared will be appreciated.

berkschick
25-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I would charge 50% retainer for the hours that were not used during termtime as you will be a lot out of pocket otherwise!

Are the parents paying for the school too?

LottieLuLu
25-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes but it's just a nominal fee. £6 extra per day. I don't know yet if they want me to pick her up on those days.

I think 50% is fair. I'm just revising my advertising and am going to do an all out assault on local shops, playgroups etc.

Over the week end I've been thinking of quitting but it fits so well with my other committments.

All this early years stuff is well and good but Little One is still very young and needs a cuddle, I hope she'll get that at school!
(Thanks for replying!)

sarah707
25-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I would start advertising - heavily! Saturate your local area...

Have a look at the advertising ideas thread here :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171