PDA

View Full Version : which courses for childminder??

v 1461
13-05-2010, 01:48 PM
hello,

I have been childminder for 6 years and I only have CACHE qualification.
I understand it will not be enough anymore in a few years !
What do I need to have? NVQ 3 I think? is that the only one?
Can I do it from home , do I need to go to college, how long does it take, is it free.........???
Does that mean that childminder who only have CACHE will not be allowed to work any more??

It is all a bit confusing for me, and I don't really want to go back to school but still want to be childminder.

Sorry for all these questions.
thank you
v

The Juggler
13-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Is your CACHE a level 3. If it is, that's fine. Level 3 is Level 3. I used my level 3 to go on and do the foundation degree, then the degree.

carolyn01
13-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I too don't want to do any more courses, have been a childminder for 10 years but only have basic qualifications no NVQ or DHC. By 2015 do I have to have either qualification to stay a reg childminder.

The Juggler
13-05-2010, 06:53 PM
not if the ones you already have are Level 3. NVQ and CACHE are supposed to be merged into one qualification that covers everything but the qualifications for everyone who holds a Level 3, already will still be valid.

v 1461
13-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello,
my CACHE is not level 3. It's only the basic course I had to do 6 years ago to become a childminder. probably worth nothing now!!
v

sarah707
13-05-2010, 07:48 PM
You need to talk to your local training officer about courses which are available.

The new level 3 NVQ will start in September but I know a lot of areas are putting everything on hold just now until they find out if the new Govt are going to make any big changes.

It might be worth waiting a little while.

Hth :D

The Juggler
14-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Then it does look likely you'll need to some sort of Level 3 you'll have a few years to get it done. There's one a few minders I know are doing (with Childcare company) and they've been told they can complete it in a year. No college to attend either.

brixhamrfc
14-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Guys, as I understand it the "Level 3" issue was a Government "aspiration" by 2015, NOT an absolute requirement.......now we have a change of govt. that could of course change either way. I have been in email correspondence with Maria Miller MP, who assures me the new govt will be looking to reduce the burden significantly on Childminders, around red tape generally, with a view to a much scaled back EYFS.......make of that what you will !.....Hope that is the case , whilst there are a few Childminders still left in the industry !

Pauline
14-05-2010, 12:15 PM
My understanding was that while it would become a requirement to have Level 3 in the future, that it would be for all new minders at the time of registration and current minders would be given the opportunity to have access to training to bring themselves up to level 3

I hope the government do only scale down EYFS, not get rid of it completely for childminders. We have worked hard to be seen as the same standard and quality as nurseries and other settings, we don't want to lose that now. :(

v 1461
15-05-2010, 01:37 PM
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS.
I THINK I WILL LEAVE IT FOR THE TIME BEEN AND SEE IN A FEW MONTHS IF I WANT TO IT OR NOT.
v