PDA

View Full Version : converting garage

tt1312
13-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Has anyone separated part of their garage as a playroom, its what i want to do eventually, and wondered what it would cost and is it something you could claim back expense wise?

candy cat
13-05-2010, 01:07 PM
have done ours cost about £8k .....doubt you can claim for it as you would have to say you solely use it for minding?? not sure so don't quote me :blush: he he!

francinejayne
13-05-2010, 02:19 PM
My friend is in the process of doing hers, she's had an internal door put in from the hallway, and a window at the side of the garage for light and an emergency exit. She's not used the whole of the garage, she's left just enough room at the front of the garage to open the existing garage door, so she's got somewhere to store bikes etc, but it's still a decent sized room. all in it's cost her about £4k to do it, which I don't think is too bad.
I could never do it - where would I put everything that's in my garage?!?!

mama2three
13-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I have almost finished my conversion , just the decorating to finish off now. we have had a full conversion to a bedroom and ensuite which cost around 11k , we badly needed an extra bedroom but would have loved it as a playroom - maybe one day when the boys have flown the nest i will claim it for that but thats a few years off.

tt1312
13-05-2010, 04:34 PM
i already have the door from kitchen into garage, just want to use half of it as still need part for my stuff, but will have to start minding without the use of the garage to start with

heatherw
18-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I had my garage converted into a kitchen in 2008. I love my kitchen now but the building work was a nightmare. It should have taken 3 weeks and ended up taking 3 months. It should have cost me 8k but i ended up paying 5 because of the hassle and everything went wrong.

sarak31
18-05-2010, 07:01 PM
YEEAAAAHHH - just had mine done and had my first day in there today :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: .

Love it - best thing we have ever done and so fantastic for work. Definately recommend doing it. It cost 8K and best :clapping: money ever spent!

carolyn01
19-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi, yes I converted my garage into a playroom last year and had a porch added so it is now completely separate to rest of house and I can keep children all in one room (well all 2 of them)! Best thing I ever did, I can shut the door at night, toys everywhere but it doesn't matter as I can't see them!