PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and pets?

Tippy Toes
13-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Hello everyone

Need some help please, have bought two little kittens and not sure what I should be doing re childminding? Do i have to have policys or anything?

Also what about their feeding bowls, litter tray, is it ok to have these in the kitchen, the children I care for are only allowed into the kitchen under my supervision.

And one last thing - is it ok for the kittens to be around the children?

Thanks All :)

Mookins
13-05-2010, 10:24 AM
theres there immunisations these have to be up to date

notsure wgether its just when pregnant but i know cat poop is dangerous so risk assessments for this and them scratching

x x x

Tina O
13-05-2010, 12:25 PM
HI, I know nothing about cats as never had one but have dogs, I have had to show my insurance and vaccination records, also have to have a writen policy saying pets not left on own with kids etc etc. Their bowls are inthe kitchen as mindees not allowed in kitchen therefore they will not be able to get to water/food bowls, but they are washed daily anyway.

I also donot use my garden for childminding as it is my dogs space and it's too small to divide up, it's kept clean and tidy but I prefer to take kids out to local park and lake-park to play. (i also then do not have to provide/store large outdoor toys)

it's my view pets are good childminding resources..........

Mookins
13-05-2010, 01:14 PM
i miss having moggies around, also miss having dogs too:(

weve got reptiles instead..oh and two rabbits that rip me to :( shreds

cats and dogs can keep your feet warm, chameleons cant:(
x x x

Beetlejuice
13-05-2010, 02:30 PM
We bought guinea pigs over the Easter holidays so I've written a 'Pet Policy'. It basically says that whilst I encourage the children to be around the guinea pigs, I won't force any child who doesn't want to be. It says that I maintain good hygiene so myself and the children wash our hands straight after handling/feeding them, that I keep their food/cleaning products away from the children etc. I added that I believed it was beneficial to the children to be around the pets and teach them about responsibility (they help me clear them out) and about treating animals with respect. They have been a HUGE hit :clapping:

mushpea
13-05-2010, 05:21 PM
we have 1 labrador, 2 cats, 1 guineapig, 3 rabbits and 2 fish,, i do have a pet policy but only really to show the parents i am being responsible about the care of the pets and the children and it explains the behaviour i expect from both in the policys, ie the dog is to be left alone when in his bed . yes its ok to have the animals mix with the children, you cant really keep cats and kids away from each other its much easier to lay down a few simple rules from the start and teach the children to respect the kittens, when we got our cats i spent a lot of time with the cats stroking them and as i was stroking with them i would gently pull their tails and ears as a child might so they got used to the sensation and so it made it normal for them meaning they were less likley to scratch the children if they pulled them.

Tippy Toes
14-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies, very helpful :)