PDA

View Full Version : Do grandparents have to be registered ??

It's a small world
13-05-2010, 07:28 AM
As the title says do grandparents have to be registered if they are looking after grandchildren? A friend and I saw a lady the other day who was caring for her young granddaughter most days over 2 hours. My friend said it's illeagal but I didn't think they had to be. What about all the grandparents who care for grandchildren during school hols I was always at my nanas ( I know this was many moons ago:blush: ) but surely society hasn't got that bad ???? Have I missed something ??

sarah707
13-05-2010, 07:29 AM
No they don't!

There's a document from Ofsted that says who does and who doesn't need to be reg and grandparents are on the 'don't' list.

However if parents want to claim tax credits then grandparents need to register and take on other children.

Hth :D

mama2three
13-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Granparents dont have to register , or aunties or any close relatives caring for their family.

It's a small world
13-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks Sarah thought that was the case my friend and I were having a discussion because something someone said to her. Will let her know. Guessed that if tax credits involved then they would have to be registered. Thanks again x

AnnieM
13-05-2010, 04:04 PM
So does that mean that I would be able to get paid for looking after my grandson (due September :D ) next year by tax credits?? I didn't think they would be able to claim with me being a relative and I wouldn't charge otherwise, obviously, but if they can get something to pay towards a place for him then all the better for me, as I would be losing out financially by giving up a place for him.

sandy64
13-05-2010, 05:05 PM
So does that mean that I would be able to get paid for looking after my grandson (due September :D ) next year by tax credits?? I didn't think they would be able to claim with me being a relative and I wouldn't charge otherwise, obviously, but if they can get something to pay towards a place for him then all the better for me, as I would be losing out financially by giving up a place for him.

hi i have a friend who is registered she minds her grandchildren and tax credit pay it.she actually registered for this reason.

Playmate
13-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Grandprents who are registered have to beseen to offering a service to others, not just their grandchildren, but if you are already registered and working thats fine :clapping:

AnnieM
13-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I would think 16 years minding should qualify me on that one then. :clapping: I originally started so I could stay at home with my son, it has now gone full circle and I will be looking after his son. :thumbsup: