PDA

View Full Version : AAARRRGGGHHHH

emmadines
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
OMG what an afternoon, mindee j has been awful!!!! threw a major wobbly over a piece of Lego, his little brother picked up a pieces of Lego that J was playing with this morning, J saw this and threw the most amazing temper tantrum going, and literally threw himself at his brother with his fist up and ready. I instantly told J to leave the room. I didnt really know what else to do. J's very much a firecracker and explodes in a huge way!! he took himself to the stairs and sat there shouting and being generally rude, so I ignored him till he stopped, then I spoke ot him and asked him if he was going to stay there or do his homework as he was asked!! he said I dont know.
Js very stubborn to so theres no reasoning with him. so I left him to get on with it and got on with the other children. when I looked at the time in total this was 2 hours later when he decided that he was going to calm down.. hes been on report for a while now at school 1 being good to 5 being asked to leave the class room. and recently its been 3, 4 and even 5's, i have spoken "mum" and shes going to have a chat. other then that i donno what i can do :s

how would you have dealt with it

(ps when he's good, hes a lovely boy...)

Toothfairy
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Could you do some 'Event Sampling'.
This is useful for monitoring behaviour, you need to record;

* What happened
* If there were any other children invloved and in what way
* Who else was was around at the time
* How long did the childs behaviour last on each occasion
* What time did the incident occour.

Then after a period of time you need to look back over each incident and see if you can spot any triggers.

Once you have found a trigger, it should help you in planning how to respond to his behaviour.

HTH :thumbsup:

emmadines
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Could you do some 'Event Sampling'.
This is useful for monitoring behaviour, you need to record;

* What happened
* If there were any other children invloved and in what way
* Who else was was around at the time
* How long did the childs behaviour last on each occasion
* What time did the incident occour.

Then after a period of time you need to look back over each incident and see if you can spot any triggers.

Once you have found a trigger, it should help you in planning how to respond to his behaviour.

HTH :thumbsup:

thats a good idea. Ill look into that, Thankyou

The Juggler
12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
seems like the trigger might be anything that upsets him though. I think he needs lots of help in learning how to deal with that disappointmnet. I know he's older but sitting with him and 'telling' him how/why he feels upset might help him to be able to verbalise and think it through himself.

So a few minutes of being rude then you go out maybe (ignoring rudeness for a few weeks) saying, I know your upset, is it because xx took your xxxx. Does that make you feel angry? Then suggest what he could do i.e. tell you, tell xx how he feels when they take the lego.

It is a long slog but children (unless they maybe have deeper routed issues) such as undiagnosed adhd etc do respond.

good luck honx