PDA

View Full Version : SEF

Pipsqueak
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Durrr my brain has gone blank after a few hours of study.:panic:

Whats the benefits / drawbacks of self evaluating.
whats the effects on professional practice

I have got :
identify strengths and weaksness
basis for inspection - which can influence results
oppurtunity to promote yourself
professional development
identifying how you meet ECM

time consuming

help...... please

Tups
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
eek Pip, not Evan looked at mine, I keep putting it off. my brain cells are well dead, If I was younger ID pay someone to do it for me Ha Ha, Its very hard with dyslexia to put your thoughts on paper very frustrating, I can do my OBS and next steps is my planning, so thats me You just need a coffee nothing wrong with your brain cells :blush: :laughing: tups xx

monkey62
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Durrr my brain has gone blank after a few hours of study.:panic:

Whats the benefits / drawbacks of self evaluating.
whats the effects on professional practice

I have got :
identify strengths and weaksness
basis for inspection - which can influence results
oppurtunity to promote yourself
professional development
identifying how you meet ECM

time consuming

help...... please

I have realised a glass of wine may help.... it did when I had mine done.

sarah707
12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Drawbacks of self evaluating...

Every planned activity becomes an exercise in improvement and nothing flows naturally any more because you are over-focussing on getting things right.

Writing self evaluations produces a number of sheets of totally worthless paper for little benefit except as evidence for someone who has no time to read them anyway... while as a self reflective practitioner you are thinking all the time and improving your practice in your head without needing to write it down.

Doing the SEF is answering someone else's questions which may or may not make sense to you and your practice. You are being asked to complete a form which is complex after reading guidance sheets which are equally complex. How is that helping you to improve your provision or the way you work?

Then of course as Tups says there's the inclusion angle. Tups has been working with children (and her own who are now grown up) for many years. She has improved because she has taught herself to work more effectively... not because she has been told she must struggle to write some words on a piece of paper.

Hth :D

Carol M
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Here goes......
Doing a course at college. Can only think of benefits.
To celebrate what we do well,building self confidence.To develop a sense of "professional self" and our individual approach to practice.

To be able to examine our practice and learn from it improves the quality of it.

Reflecting on our policies helps us to become aware of their impact on practice.

Helps us to understand the perspectives of others.

Encourages us to examine our attitudes.

It is an essential tool of effective leadership.

Helps us cope with change and challenge and helps us become more critically aware.

BUT... I certainbly see where Sarah707 is coming from!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
some fabulous points there - thank you ladies.
some real food for thought:group hug: