PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a question about fireplaces!

lauren1979
12-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Hello,

my name is Lauren, I'm based in Wiltshire...
Am just doing my course at the moment and really can't wait to get going!

Have been risk assessing, already have a nearly 3 year old and a 1 year old so house is pretty child-proof except we have a large fireplace, it is a gas fire (never used) with a stone surround. I presume the whole thing would need to be 'fenced off' due to the stone work, is this right?

Also, while I'm here! We have a raised bed in the garden, also stone with obviously hard corners..so long as I note it on a RA so that will keep children on other side of garden can't think how to 'baby/child proof' it...or am I going OTT?

I have always been of the opinion that you can't put a soft edge on every hard one/corner in the world but I realise letting other people's children bonk their heads is a bit different :)

Shar
12-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi Lauren, welcome to the forum. It would be wise to put a fire guard around your fireplace for safety. As for the garden area, as long as you have a risk assessment in place that states you supervise the children at all times you should be fine. :thumbsup:

little_gems
12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
i have a stone fire place and i dont have a fire guard round it. (its too big even the extenable dont fit) I have just put corner protectors on it. Ofsted seemed fine with this.

emmadines
12-05-2010, 08:04 PM
hello, just thought Id say that I have a gas fire and a marble fire surround too, we dont use the fire when the children are around so we dont have a fire gaurd. but I had put this around the edge of the surround and ofsted were more then happy with that.

I have attached a link of the stuff I am using!! hope this helps

Emma

lauren1979
13-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone!

Thinking of getting one of those babydan big divider type guards, might be able to screen TV etc off that way too..!

Twinklestars
13-05-2010, 12:51 PM
hello, just thought Id say that I have a gas fire and a marble fire surround too, we dont use the fire when the children are around so we dont have a fire gaurd. but I had put this around the edge of the surround and ofsted were more then happy with that.

I have attached a link of the stuff I am using!! hope this helps

Emma

Please could you attach the link, I want something on mine too!! Thanks

ranger-knight
13-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi
I have similar in my front room, when I had my registration visit the ofsted lady suggested i should get a fire guard for the hearth but didn't put it as a definate.
when my local team came out for my support visit I asked aobut it and said that I just put cushions down on it when I had a little one who was learnign to sit / crawl at the time and the rest of the time I just try and make sure that toys are kept away form it and supervise children and tell them to be careful.
She said to stick it all in my risk assessment, what I do and why and then that would be sufficient, no problem.
I have a high back step and it was a simialr process with that too.
HTH
Julie xx

emmadines
13-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Please could you attach the link, I want something on mine too!! Thanks

ops sorry lol

link attached :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Prince-lionheart-table-edge-guard-4-corners-/170475294104?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Safety_ET&hash=item27b11e8d98

karen m
13-05-2010, 08:47 PM
i have a gas fire built into wall ,no surround was told by ofsted still needed fire guard ,fire is not even connected we have radiators to,

Ticktoria
14-05-2010, 07:20 AM
i have a gas fire built into wall ,no surround was told by ofsted still needed fire guard ,fire is not even connected we have radiators to,

We have a gas fire in our playroom, it is disconnected and has a dining table pushed up against it. I rang the CSSIW yesterday about it (am in process of writing list of things to buy :eek: ) to check if I needed a guard and they said yes as a child could crawl under the dining table and its about teaching kids not to go near fires regardless of if they're on or not.

SparklingGems
14-05-2010, 07:21 AM
When I had my pre reg visit I explained to ofsted my fire cant be used unless you have the remote control which is stored high up out of reach. IO was told I needed something for bumping heads so I have used pipe lagging. To stop little ones bumping themselves. I also tell the children to play away from it.

hth :)

hectors house
14-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I cover my hearth with a folded up sleeping bag - one to protect the kids but equally to stop them bashing the hearth with toys or driving cars along it - out of sight out of mind!