PDA

View Full Version : Childminders and breeds of dogs

2045amanda
24-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi,
Do any childminders know if there are any breeds of dog that ofsted will not allow i.e. rottweilers?

A neighbour has just asked me cos her childminder has just brought one.

Thanks

Amanda

Pipsqueak
24-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Not as far as I am aware. So long as the dog is kept under proper control, children are not left with it unsupervised, hand washing, proper food storage etc.....

Any dog has the potential to hurt/maim someone and it is always down to the owner to ensure that the dog is treated with respect (what I mean in this instance that children don't rag the dog about, don't tease it etc), trained correctly, care for well.

A dog is basically as good as its owner makes it (as with humans you may occasionally get a "bad apple").

Remember for every case that makes the news/headlines there are loads of dogs out there of a particular breed that are "good" pets

Kelly
24-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I assume that you would be allowed any dog providing it is not a banned dog. I would hope that the childminder will take precautions not to have the children around the dog. If I was your friend and my children where there I would have no problems asking the childminder to keep the dog away from the children.

I know there are lots of dog lovers out there, I used to have a golden retriever who was soft as anything, but I never let her in the same rooms as the minded children, for her protection as much as anything, better safe than sorry is my motto.

Kelly

sarah707
24-03-2008, 08:54 PM
There was a thread the other day by a lady who was asked to put a 5ft fence up for her dogs... :(

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=fence

Pipsqueak
24-03-2008, 08:56 PM
two words - Pet Policy:D

2045amanda
24-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi,

Many thanks for your replies. My neighbour concerned about her children as this childminder already has one dog and by the sounds of it dog is allowed to roam freely while children are there, not sure what childminder plans to do with new rottweiler though. Don't think neighbour does either and that's why she's worried and looking for new childminder.

Amanda

Pipsqueak
24-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I would suggest to your neighbour that she asks her current minder for a formal meeting to discuss her concerns - which she obviously has got.
It may be that the minder doesn't realise that parents are concerned and may take steps to rectify the situation. She at least deserves the chance to be able to listen to and be heard.

miffy
24-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I agree with Vik

Miffy xx

Fifi
24-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi,
Do any childminders know if there are any breeds of dog that ofsted will not allow i.e. rottweilers?

A neighbour has just asked me cos her childminder has just brought one.

Thanks

Amanda

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 meant strict guidelines for owners and how their dogs should behave
It also singled out four breeds for particular attention - the Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosa, the Dogo Argentino, and the Fila Brazileiro.
It was made illegal to own any of these dogs unless a court had directed that it was on a list of exempted dogs.
The dogs have to be on a lead and muzzled in public, micro chipped, registered and insured

ruby
24-03-2008, 09:24 PM
my friend got a new dog at christmas (a Boxer )she spoke to the parents about getting one everything was fine

after christmas she lost 2 of her families because of the dog. the other one stayed

the dog is not allowed in the house when the children are there. It has a kennel and a run out the back which is kept locked when the children are around

she has now taken some new mindees on but was very upset at the time as she had spoken to the parents and they seemed fine about it .

cathy

John
25-03-2008, 02:41 AM
I don't have one as you might have to wah the dog face if the doggy as been playing around with other doggys as dogs can be messy, and the dog might lick a childs face. So it's a wounder ofsted don't say wash your dog before a child's goes near lol.

John.

2045amanda
25-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will pass this on to my neighbour this morning.

Thanks

Amanda

jackie__1981
25-03-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not a childminder yet, but when I was looking for a childminder for my son when I went back to work, to be honest I didn't want one with a dog.

It might be silly of me, I suppose if the dog wasn't even in the house most of the time what would it have mattered. But when searching online if i saw that they had a dog I didn't even call.

I'm a bit nervous of dogs myself so that is probably why :o

Pipsqueak
25-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I take on board what you have just said Jackie and that is fair enough. When I get an enquiry (few and far betweeen at the moment) I always tell them that I have dogs straight away.

I do think its a shame though because any type of pet can be a great learning experience for children and a great comfort.

But in saying that I can appreciate that some people aren't as keen.

emmadines
25-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I have a black lab who is allowed to run freely around the children but i do have a pet policy and the children will be taught how to behiave around and treat him.....

my pet policy-
I believe that children can learn a lot from having contact with animals; however certain procedures must be followed to ensure the safety of the children;

• Children must be encouraged to treat all animals with respect, learning how to handle them correctly.

• Children must wash their hands after any contact with animals and understand the reasoning behind this.

• Children must be taught that not all animals are child friendly and that they should always check with the animal’s owner before attempting to stroke or handle them.

• Food for the pet must be stored safely away from the children’s reach

• A high standard of hygiene must be followed, with careful thought given to the placing of the feeding and drink bowls of dogs and cats.

• The garden must be checked every morning, before the children are permitted outside to play, to ensure that no animal has fouled it.

Twinkles
25-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a golden retriever who mixes freely with the children. She's not allowed in the playroom though. And never in a room where a child is sleeping.
I also have a pet policy and have found most parents like the idea that their children will have the benefit of having pets without them having the cost and hassle.
I have had people put off by my cats because of allergies.

Just last week I got a new child and his mum said that as soon as she walked through the door and met Tilly ( dog ) she knew it was the right place for her son.

disney
25-03-2008, 09:30 PM
i have a king charles cavalier , who ilove very much hes so friendly to every one . my children seem to have all taken to him so well & learn alot from him i suppose all dogs can be a danger but i wouldnt like to childmind with certain types of breeds & i do know all dogs can bite , but his teeth are more like little needles . he thinks hes a baby himself :laughing: but their are certain times when he is seperate to the children when they are eating , sleepng & away from the playroom and i dont leave him with children alone x