PDA

View Full Version : Could you please help me with my research?

Polly2
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
For my next assignment for my fd I have to talk to colleagues and gather information on the concerns most raised by parents regarding their child’s health and well-being.

So what would you say concerns parent most - things like - when is the best time to wean a baby? What solid foods should I start them on?

When should I start potty training?

(Its for children 0-5)

Any thoughts guys??

mama2three
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
IME most worries from parents have been regarding developmental milestones , and the fact that their child is not reaching them as fast as their cousins sisters baby !
Other concerns i have had more regularly than others have been to do with colic and allergies, mainly due to the crying and lack of sleep which prompts them into asking , whereas other niggles seem less urgent!
Is this what you need?

Polly2
12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
They are good ones :thumbsup: keep em coming!

PixiePetal
12-05-2010, 09:49 AM
fussy eaters and how to get children to try more fruit and veg with more success than they are currently having. :rolleyes:

misst104
12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I have found fussy eating to be an issue for parents and also toilet training - when, how etc

HTH

xJo

Roseolivia
12-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Concerns over allergies, what to feed fussy children, Getting into their preferred school- emotional well being?

My concerns for my daughter who's 3 is- making sure she eats a balanced diet as she likes junk, before taking her dummy away i was concerned about the effect it would have on her, starting nursery in September, being there for her when there's other children around.

Chell
12-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Weight gain or lack of it was a concern with my third child.

auntym
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Furry eating one I have had afew times. Walking problems, unsteady or walking inwards. Tantrums. Colic. Wetting when potty trained. Im sure theres more lol

Polly2
12-05-2010, 11:35 AM
This is great thanks guys :thumbsup: any more?? I gotta research the 6 most popular

Pipsqueak
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I would say that the most common ones I have come across is

toileting (and this includes night times)
fussy eaters or the amount the child is eating
healthy eating
well being - behavourial/safety - not walking properly-handholding issues and being over protective - not wanting them outside in the mud/rain/cold

mama2three
12-05-2010, 12:21 PM
If behavioural issues come under the heading of well-being then i would put them right at number 1 ! of course the issue much of the time is with the parenting rather than the child but it is still the most common cause for concern .

Polly2
12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes I think behavioural issues come under health and well-being as like pip said it impacts on safety issues and also emotional well-being. Would you say tantrums come under that heading or are they a separate issue caused by other things?

Looks like healthy eating is a popular concern.

Alibali
12-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Toilet training, sleeping and eating

francinejayne
12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Routine,
Healthy eating / varied diet,
Developmental milestones not being reached at the 'normal' time, eg walking later than 'normal', etc
Not separating from mum easily,
Tantrums

I'll carry on thinking!

TammyN
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
toilet training
development milestone concern(in line with others)
dummy(speech delay)
these seem to be concerns of families around me

in nurseries(pre school) it was do they share, make friends
are they ready for school
writing their name :eek:

HomefromHome
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
one of my (my parents!) bugbears is their mother-in-laws!!!!!!!! one finds it hard to remain polite when discussing how her dd should be brought up! MIL regularly ignores mum's instructions and has even dared to slag mum off in front of me when she picks child up the once-a-week that she does :eek: - it's very hard to either not put her in her place or laugh!!!!! i advised mum to grin and bear most of it but only step up when dd health and safety is compromised. it means a bit of bullet biting but saves family arguments!!!!

Polly2
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
MIL's :laughing:

My MIL affects MY health and wellbeing LOL :laughing:

The Juggler
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Toilet training, sleeping and eating

I agree, sleepless nights - helping with getting good sleep going.

Dummy's and stopping dummy use

Speech development

and def. as someone else said behaviour issues -including fussy eating.

breezy
12-05-2010, 02:03 PM
as said before

Eating - what? how much? healthy? weaning etc

Sleeping - lack of it !

toilet training ( parents seem scared of this one !)

suzyblue
12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Behaviour issues - biting, throwing, tantrums, not sharing etc
Milestones - walking, talking, eating lumpy food, toilet training etc

Polly2
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Ok so tell me if you think this is ok

1. Healthy eating to include weaning, 5 a day, amounts, deserts.

2. Behavioual issues such as tantrums, biting, throwing, not sharing

3. Developmental milestones such as walking, talking, toilet training

4. Dummys

5. Sleep issues

6. Vaccination worries

Not in any order.

suzyblue
12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Thats sounds right to me!:thumbsup:

breezy
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
sounds good:thumbsup:

The Juggler
12-05-2010, 09:09 PM
sounds fab and of course you've already got lots of volunteers to complete your questionnaires!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Polly2
13-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your help everyone I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
13-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Looks about right :thumbsup:

I would be willing to fill in questionnaire :D

manjay
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Ok so tell me if you think this is ok

1. Healthy eating to include weaning, 5 a day, amounts, deserts.

2. Behavioual issues such as tantrums, biting, throwing, not sharing

3. Developmental milestones such as walking, talking, toilet training

4. Dummys

5. Sleep issues

6. Vaccination worries

Not in any order.

Just came back to have a look at this one to see if my ideas were along the same lines. I have changed my mind so many times as of course we have to back up what we write with theory. I found I decided on one subject but then couldn't find enough research/theory to back it up. Or it was too big a subject to fit in with my word count!!! In the end (also based on what my own parent's concerns were) I decided on;

Breastfeeding and returning to work (and the benefits of choosing a fab childminder who will suppport the parent;) )
Weaning
Oral Health (including the use of dummies)
Healthy Eating
Positive Parenting/positive behaviour management
ImmunisationsWhat do you think? Pretty similar to yours Holly. I guess that proves that most parents worry about the same things:D

Just a few last minute tweaks and it will be ready to hand in on Thursday!

Can't believe we only have 2 more assignments and we have completed our first year:clapping:

Polly2
05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds good to me!! Just about finished mine - I am over my word count a bit though :rolleyes: its so hard because there's so much to write about. I like your breast feeding idea.

I have just sent off a draft so we'll see. You have done well catching up as you have been so poorly.

I can't believe we have nearly finished our first year but I can see how much I have improved just by comparing the 2 booklets!

I am thinking about the outdoor poster presentation now :panic: but thats a whole new thread :D

Polly2
25-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Well I got 78% for my booklet :jump for joy: Just wanted to say thank you all for your ideas :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
25-06-2010, 02:19 PM
well done Polly2 :clapping:

sarah707
25-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Well I got 78% for my booklet :jump for joy: Just wanted to say thank you all for your ideas :thumbsup:

Another fab mark! Well done you :D

The Juggler
25-06-2010, 05:57 PM
wow, well done you!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Polly2
25-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Thank you :blush: