PDA

View Full Version : late pick up - how to ask for money?

bec123
12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
On Monday I had to look after 2 mindees as their dad was runnin late - they normallly finish at 5.30pm but he collected them at 6.00pm. They arrived this morning as usual. Obviously I need to charge for this extra half hour but I'm not sure how to go about it. They pay me with vouchers so they will have to find the extra cash. Should I just put a polite note in their bag asking for £x? I'm terrible chasing up money. :blush:

angeldelight
12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Was it the first time they were late ?

Angel xx

maryp0ppins
12-05-2010, 08:17 AM
If it was me i think I'd mention it verbal as well as leaving a polite note in their bag, if you leave it to long they'll wonder why you didn't mention it sooner (that's my opinion)

Like you I'm a worrier when it comes to chasing money, i feel cheeky but in my head I'm saying well it is MY money.... iyswim.

Just mention to dad you'll put the extra half hour onto next weeks/months bill so he can transfer it through with vouchers, unless he wants to give you it separate! ? !:thumbsup:

Goatgirl
12-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi :),
For me, alot depends on how they are about it, how much Iwas inconvenienced etc. If they didn't ask me and or let me know they'd be late I'd be fuming and charge my 'late' charge of £6 plus double the hourly rate for the extra time, charged in half hour chunks. So 10 minutes late at £3.75 per hour is £6 plus £3.75 + £9.75.
I'd just say 'Oh I'll add the extra for last night to your invoice', so they have a warning and know the bill will be higher. Everyting is laid out in my fees and charges policy in case of argument.
Persistent offenders get charged the maximum, but occasional, very apologetic occurrences, with warning, which haven't inconvenienced me just get charged the extra time.

hth,
Wendy :)

Alibali
12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
If it was a one of I wouldn't charge, but let them know that I wont charge 'this time' so it doesn't become a habit.

caz3007
12-05-2010, 12:50 PM
One of my mums was 45 mins late but rang me way before pick up time to let me know she was stuck waiting for her lift to finish in a meeting. This was a one off and usually she is early, so I didnt charge. I also dont charge for the odd 10 mins as long as its very occasional. We are having huge traffic problems locally, so understand that for one particular mum its difficult, although she has only been late once and its been going on for months now.

Sometimes you have have to look at the overall picture and then decide what to do

The Juggler
12-05-2010, 12:53 PM
did they explain why? for one off I would let it go but if it becomes a habit I'd charge.

If you really want to charge, just add it on to next month's invoice:)

monkey62
12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I is one off I woudn't charge.... I start charging one of my parents after she was 5-6 times late in 2 months. I told her she needs to increase her hours if she can't get here in time otherwise I will start charging for late collection. Once I have started charging her like 2-3 times she was never late from that point....Some parents take as for granted... thinking we don't have a life outside minding hours.

cuffleygirl
12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
If it was the one only time - think I would take the time in hand! For an occasion when you need an early finish or a late start.

helenlc
13-05-2010, 11:37 AM
If it was a one off, I wouldnt charge. If it has happened before, then charge.

One of mine was late being collected last week due to miscommunication about who was collecting him. I didnt charge. But same thing happened Tuesday and I had him a hour late!:eek: I didnt ask Mum for the money but was going to. However, she paid an hour extra this morning.

I charged a parent once before cos she just went around it the whole wrong way! She didnt phone or text to say she would be late. This little one came 4 days and each day was a slightly different pick up time. She reckoned that she always came at 3pm and not 2pm on a Tuesday. I said to her how she had been here at 2pm every other Tuesday and offered to show her my register! She paid up and if ever she was going to be a few minutes later after that occassion, she always called first!

On that occassion,I just added it onto the invoice with a copy of my Fees Policy highlighting the area about late collection.

angiemog
13-05-2010, 02:07 PM
If it's a one off then I wouldn't charge either. All my parents are desperate to get here to pick their little ones up so it has never been on purpose. If they are ever late I usually call them only because it's so unusual.... One of my mums was half an hour late once, she's a dental nurse and got held up with a patient. She did offer to pay but I said it was fine as many times she picks up early. xx

Beetlejuice
13-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Gosh I'm really harsh with my parents :blush: Way I see it is that I already work a 10 hour+ day most days and have small children of my own so when they are late then it infringes on my own family. I don't charge for the first 10 minutes but after then I charge £5 for every TEN minutes!!! You would think it would deter people but sadly it doesn't :angry: . The same family have been fined quite heavily twice in the last few months for being over 45 mins late and they just pay it, rather than address the issues of getting here on time :mad:

helenlc
13-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't charge for the first 10 minutes but after then I charge £5 for every TEN minutes!!!

Oh mine is worse than that - first 15 minutes is given as allowance for being in traffic etc. Then its £10 per half hour starting from the time they were due to be picked up!!

The Mum I mentioned in the previous post was charged £20 for one hour - hence she called any time after that when she was going to be late!!:laughing:

Beetlejuice
13-05-2010, 09:45 PM
GRRRR after posting this today, said parent was 25 minutes late this evening with NO phonecall :mad: He was late dropping off this morning too so I really wasn't in the best mood with him and I have college on a Thursday evening which he knows. I was very short with him at the door which possibly wasn't professional but I'm getting annoyed. He is used to having a full time Nanny so perhaps when she had the children 25 mins here or there didn't matter as she was home with them but I had to belt my dinner down and fly out of the door in time for my class.

Mum has texted tonight with an apology - she's steaming as it's the 3rd time in the last month that he's ******** me about. I've accepted the apology but told her I was already cross after he dropped off late this morning - getting him into more trouble no doubt :blush:

It it really TOO much to ask that if you are contracted 8am til 6pm that you drop off at 8 and collect at 6???? Or if you are going to be late you at least have the courtesy to call and let me know????

Rant over!! :o

The Juggler
14-05-2010, 06:32 AM
GRRRR after posting this today, said parent was 25 minutes late this evening with NO phonecall :mad: He was late dropping off this morning too so I really wasn't in the best mood with him and I have college on a Thursday evening which he knows. I was very short with him at the door which possibly wasn't professional but I'm getting annoyed. He is used to having a full time Nanny so perhaps when she had the children 25 mins here or there didn't matter as she was home with them but I had to belt my dinner down and fly out of the door in time for my class.

Mum has texted tonight with an apology - she's steaming as it's the 3rd time in the last month that he's ******** me about. I've accepted the apology but told her I was already cross after he dropped off late this morning - getting him into more trouble no doubt :blush:

It it really TOO much to ask that if you are contracted 8am til 6pm that you drop off at 8 and collect at 6???? Or if you are going to be late you at least have the courtesy to call and let me know????

Rant over!! :o

oh hon. grrr for you! I wouldn't even make the comment about calling if you're going to be late as he'll probably take that as an open signal to just phone and say I'll be there at...... which could be whenever. I'd more stick with the line I need you to be here at 6 unless there is an absolute emergency as I have college to go to. At least mum's on your side hon.:)

Beetlejuice
14-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks hon - they will be getting a bigger bill from me next month to pay for last night but as I said to my DH it's not the money, it's about respect. They seem to disregard that I may have a life outside of minding.

cuffleygirl
14-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Beetlejuice - a life outside of childminding - NO you have to be at the parents beck and call 24/7!

Once, yes let it go and chalk up a favour any more stand your ground now its so hard to that later! Believe me, I have been taken for a complete mug this week over similar!

Beetlejuice
14-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Beetlejuice - a life outside of childminding - NO you have to be at the parents beck and call 24/7!

LOL tell me about it - I get texts and emails in the evening, at weekends and when I'm on holiday!!! Their nanny was definitely at their beck and call 24/7 but I need them to see that I definitely am not!