PDA

View Full Version : Opening hours

Minstrel
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I currently work until 5.30pm and would prefer not to go any later but the enquiries i've had all seem to want till 6.30pm/7pm.

I start at 7.30am and don't mind more starting this early but am i seriously restricting my market if i say no later than 5.30pm?

funemnx
11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I've recently started saying I only work until 5.30 for potential new ones and it's made a huge difference to my day. Like you I'd rather start early (7a.m.) so by half five, I've had enough. I'm full or will be when my 3 on maternity go back to work. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

miffy
11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I start at 8am and finish at 5.30pm - that's long enough for me.

I took on somebody once until 6pm and I hated the extra half-hour so was glad when they moved away.

I've never found finishing at 5.30 a problem - if they want later they can use the nursery or after school club

Miffy xx

SammyM
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I work from 7.30 - 6pm, first one usually arrives at 7.45 and last one goes about 5.40ish

I just think if you want to attract the 9-5 parents then you have to allow time for them to get to you after 5.00pm.

AliceK
11-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I work from 7.30 - 6pm, first one usually arrives at 7.45 and last one goes about 5.40ish

I just think if you want to attract the 9-5 parents then you have to allow time for them to get to you after 5.00pm.

Same here and I'm regretting it now :(

xxxxxxx

The Juggler
11-05-2010, 07:34 PM
stick to your guns hon. parents who really like you may be able to work around it. At worst you might be able to meet in the middle at 5.45. Still much better than the 7pm enquiries you have now. I know what you mean though it's hard to turn down work but especially with your lo on the way I think the earlier finishes would be sensible.

sarah707
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
By 6 I'm totally jiggered and ready for them to be gone, out of my house, good night! :D

singlewiththree
11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I work until 5pm so that I can feed my own children, calm them down etc. I really want to bring it forward until 4.30 but think I might be pushing it as the parents all go home put their tea on and THEN come and pick the children up :rolleyes:

Trouble
11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
mine was 6pm but i brought it forward to 5.30 i think thats long enought for any child:thumbsup:

little_gems
11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
i am open 8 - 6 if they want eariler i might do it but charge more and wouldnt do it on a regular basis. Most of the children i look after are gone by 5.30 and its great. the extra 30 min feels like ive had the afternoon off sometimes lol

Minstrel
11-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Well i think i do cater for this market as all my parents finish at 5 now and get to me for half past 5 at the latest.

I don't know where the sudden influx for late pick up has come from but wanted to check i wasn't doing myself out of all new work - seems not though if you all so similar. Especially as the new starter i have wanted me to start earlier than half 7 :panic: i can't stretch myself at both ends of the day!

Minstrel
11-05-2010, 07:57 PM
stick to your guns hon. parents who really like you may be able to work around it. At worst you might be able to meet in the middle at 5.45. Still much better than the 7pm enquiries you have now. I know what you mean though it's hard to turn down work but especially with your lo on the way I think the earlier finishes would be sensible.

Especially as my ds2 had colic and tea time was the worst time of the day for him :panic:

Plus bathing, feeding and putting the bed an extra one i think i will be pooped :cool:

Chimps Childminding
11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
My longest day is one lo who comes 7.30-7.45 till 6.00-6.15! I find that because everyone else has gone by then she either gets everything out, when I really want to get cleared up, or wants amusing when I want to get on with getting our tea on the go so we can have it soon after she leaves, otherwise we don't get to eat till really late!

Sounds pathetic when I write it down, but I hate that extra half hour or so :blush:

TheBTeam
11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Same here I have one little one who comes till 6.30 on a wednesday, i thought the time wouldnt be so bad as i have another finishes at 6pm on a weds already, but I have hated it, luckily for me one is finishing for good at the beginning of June and the other is finishing until his mum enrols in college in again in september when it is poss he will come back, but hopefully her hours will change. I have him two mornings at 7.30am which I can just cope with but I am looking forward to them all being gone by 4.50pm when dh takes one home and he gets back around 5.25pm, so I can have half hour peace and quiet and cook tea!

Need more business though as we are losing our main earners until October again.

I think i would try for 5.30 but just be prepared to maybe be flexible if needed for the sake of work when you need it or perhaps one day a week etc, but i hate the time after 5.30 now more than i have ever done!

Ripeberry
11-05-2010, 08:39 PM
My days on Tues and Weds can be quite long. I get up at 6am, get my kids up by 7am, mindee arrives at 7.30am, then we all have breakfast (I have mine at 6.30am in peace and quiet).
Then at the other end of the day, mindee goes home at around 5.45pm and then I get my kids packed lunches ready for the next day, cook tea, eat it with the kids, keep husband's hot in the oven.
He gets home at 7pm and then I go out to clean the pre-school until 8.30 or 9pm.
Husband puts the girls to bed. So i finally get to sit down at around 9.20pm with a can of cider :D and spend some time on here.
Then I go and join hubby to watch the 10pm news (should be interesting tonight).

Minstrel
11-05-2010, 08:42 PM
My days on Tues and Weds can be quite long. I get up at 6am, get my kids up by 7am, mindee arrives at 7.30am, then we all have breakfast (I have mine at 6.30am in peace and quiet).
Then at the other end of the day, mindee goes home at around 5.45pm and then I get my kids packed lunches ready for the next day, cook tea, eat it with the kids, keep husband's hot in the oven.
He gets home at 7pm and then I go out to clean the pre-school until 8.30 or 9pm.
Husband puts the girls to bed. So i finally get to sit down at around 9.20pm with a can of cider :D and spend some time on here.
Then I go and join hubby to watch the 10pm news (should be interesting tonight).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ripeberry
11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I can only cope with those two long days as I have Monday off and mindee goes home early on a Friday. Could not do it every night :eek: I'm supposed to clean the pre-school on a Friday evening, but I will sometimes do it over the weekend instead (at my leisure) :)

TheBTeam
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
That is the problem i think some parents dont always see what we do out of hours with our own family, i too on a weds at the moment get up at 7am ready for mindees from 7.30am, the last one a boy of 20m goes home at 6.30 ish when i take my dd to cubs and often stay to help till gone 8pm, come home and usually then have to either cook or sort out dinner for dh and I, then get kids to bed.

I only get through weds when we have 6 under 5, because I know Thursday is childminding group morning and a little quieter!

moljak
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I have chosen to work 7.30am - 5pm.If that limiteds my work then so be it.I'm childminding to allow me a better quality time with my children and to provide fantastic care for other children.I can't do this if I'm knackered and I usually am after 5pm!

tinkerbelle
12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
i work from 6 am until 7 pm three nights a week and two days a week i work from 6 am until 10pm no one in my area works past 6 pm except me and so shift workers tend to come for late care ie nurses etc

12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I've recently taken on a mindee 7am till 7pm three days a week and am already regretting it :(. By 5.30pm I am hanging and counting down the mintues until everyone is collected. Most of mine go at 6pm and I thought the extra hour till 7pm would not be that bad with only one mindee but it has a massive impact on my own family time. Wish I had never agreed to it now :(

suez
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
i have my under 5 mindee 8.30-2.20 mon-fri

but 3 days a wk i have twin boys aged 6 from school till 8.30pm :eek:

very very draining....im watching the clock as soon as weve eatin :thumbsup:

mumx3
12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I try to get round the long hours by setting a daily rate for 8am to 5.30pm I have one family who need 7.30 til 6.30 I charge time and a half for before
8am and after 5.30pm and that seems to get people to come before 5.30pm!