PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Newspaper

venus89
11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Just got a generic email from the press complaints commission

Dear Madam,

The Sun will be printing a letter from Helen Charlesworth, an Ofsted registered childminder, in its letters page tomorrow in response to the article.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Cobbe

Hmmmmm...........

Hebs
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
GO HELEN :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Mookins
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
wohoo...theres a helenc on here im sure?:)
wonder if its her

x x

venus89
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
:laughing: let's hope she gives them hell!

Pipsqueak
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
yes its our Helen on here.:clapping:

however, I do hope that this is not the extent of their making amends. i have emailed E Cobbe (as I got the same email) to say as such.
It was printed in the front of the paper, in a very high profile story and as such the retraction and/or apology (plus the journalists head on a plate lol) should be acknowledged there as well.

Hebs
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
yes its our Helen on here.:clapping:

however, I do hope that this is not the extent of their making amends. i have emailed E Cobbe (as I got the same email) to say as such.
It was printed in the front of the paper, in a very high profile story and as such the retraction and/or apology (plus the journalists head on a plate lol) should be acknowledged there as well.

i agree :thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-05-2010, 05:18 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: yeah! go Helen!

beccas
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
i also got this email. i messaged her on fb to see...

venus89
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
i also got this email. i messaged her on fb to see...

Ahhhh.... now I know who you are on Facebook! I always forget who's who :blush: Except Angel :laughing:

emmadines
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
whats artical? :S

venus89
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
whats artical? :S

Do you remember a while back when that poor little boy was killed by so-called 'childminders' (ie an unregistered couplelooking to make a quick quid). Helen's letter is in response to that, explaining what becoming a registered childminder means, as opposed to what those monsters were.....

AliceK
11-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I just got this email as well.
Go Helen :thumbsup:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alibali
11-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I got it too, let's see. Go Helen:clapping: :clapping:

little_gems
11-05-2010, 07:40 PM
yey go helen!! should be on the first few pages though

bexcee
11-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Will look out for it, the term 'childminder' is used very losely by the press to describe anyone who looks after a child whereas we are registered childminders and should be considered as professionals

Pauline
12-05-2010, 06:25 AM
So, have they printed it? Anyone seen it?

It is a start to at least be listened to, but an apology should have gone out officially.

Well done Helen, you have become the voice of the Forum and childminders everywhere :thumbsup:

Hebs
12-05-2010, 06:26 AM
i've looked on the website but cant find it anywhere :(

emmadines
12-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Do you remember a while back when that poor little boy was killed by so-called 'childminders' (ie an unregistered couplelooking to make a quick quid). Helen's letter is in response to that, explaining what becoming a registered childminder means, as opposed to what those monsters were.....

ah yes i think so, blimy that seems ages ago!!

jelly15
12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Good on you Helen :clapping: . The Sun has taken long enough though :angry:

mama2three
12-05-2010, 08:37 AM
helen did put a copy on here a while ago ..basically the pcc had contacted the sun , who suggested a letter on the letter page as their way of recompense , and even suggested the wording for the letter. Will see if i can find the link

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57998

its about midway through the thread. K x

AnnieM
12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I can't find it anywhere on The Sun website, I don't buy the paper though, so if anyone has a link or a copy of the article they could post, I would love to have a read.

mama2three
12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
this is what was suggested......

Dear Ms Charlesworth,

I write further to email of 29 April.

I have now received a response from the newspaper, which I have attached in full to this email.

As you will see, the newspaper understands your concerns and has offered to publish a letter from you in order to allow you to voice your opinion. The newspaper has suggested the following wording:

Your article about the murder of a three-year-old boy (March 27) incorrectly described those responsible as childminders. Ofsted registered childminders like me go through CRB checks and have First Aid certificates, insurance and training. I pay a yearly fee, adhere to a set of strict guidelines and regular inspections to ensure the care I give is suitable and children in my care are safe and well looked after. I was shocked and angry these people were described as childminders. They were not.
Helen Charlesworth
Ofsted Registered Childminder
XXXXXXX (need home town)

I should be grateful to receive your comments on this suggestion as soon as is convenient. Should you accept the offer of a letter, I would be pleased to hear any alterations you may wish to make to the wording.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Cobbe

helenlc
12-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you ladies - sorry, havent been on much today so not seen this thread!!

My original letter to both the journalist and the PCC was far more extensive and vehement!!:blush:

However, the letter printed is a suggested format by The Sun and one which I tweaked slightly through the PCC. But ultimately, they will print what they want to print.

I am annoyed that it is just a letter on p43 and not an apology else where in the paper - especially considering the dramatic headline and article that started this off.

But I guess its a little something anyway!!:laughing: