PDA

View Full Version : Total brain freeze - please help

venus89
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I shouldn't be put in a position of responsibility! My brain - assuming that's what's in my head - is just not up to it.....

I want to play a game called 'Mrs Browning has a box' witht he LOs once nap time is over. I wasn't going to do it today as one of them is only here two and a half hours and normally sleeps most of that but Mum only wants him to sleep 15 mins today (:rolleyes: ) - luckily he always takes a while to settle so he'll have a good 20 minutes happily playing in the cot before power napping. Anyway, that was off track.....

Mrs Browning is a listening game. I have a box and I need to fill it with items. We then sing 'Mrs Browning had a box' to the tune of Old MacDonald but when it comes to 'and in that box she had a....' then I shake/rustle etc one of the items in the box and they have to guess what it is. And I've suddenly gone blank about what I could put in, aside from a packet of crisps and some bells. What other household items make a distinctive sound?

maryp0ppins
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
cutlery
bag of rice
pegs

oh dear thats all i can think of :( sorry not much else!!

avril
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
What about water pour some into a small bottle or feeder cup, rice or pasta, a toy that makes a noise the children may recognise the sound, tin foil.

Someone else will come up with more ideas i'm sure.

green puppy
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry, not sure what you can put in it but that sounds like a great game! Haven't heard it played with that song, thanks.

venus89
11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
:laughing: Thank you both! There are some good ideas there. We've never done this before and the children aren't all that old so they have to be easily recognisable...... Some good ideas there :thumbsup:

venus89
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry, not sure what you can put in it but that sounds like a great game! Haven't heard it played with that song, thanks.

Thank you. I got it from the Letters and Sounds Pack from the DFeS.....

green puppy
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I guess you could also play it by showing a selection of objects of different shapes, size, texture, then muddling them up in the bag and let each child take a turn to feel inside the bag and guess which object they have. Maybe different musical instruments too for sounds?

venus89
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I guess you could also play it by showing a selection of objects of different shapes, size, texture, then muddling them up in the bag and let each child take a turn to feel inside the bag and guess which object they have.

Ooohhh... yes that's a good idea. I could make that a next step :clapping:

ORKSIE
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I have not heard of this game....sounds fabby:clapping:

Am orf to the recycling bin to get a box:thumbsup:

cant help tho, but i will take a peek later to see what others have suggested:blush: :blush:

I know i'm a cheeky cow:laughing: :laughing:

Toothfairy
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
A bunch of keys
some bubble wrap
a comb (run your finger over the teeth it to make a noise)
marbles in a tube

Gosh, I can't think.......

Will come back if I get a sudden flash of insperation...........