PDA

View Full Version : puffy red itchy eyes!

charliegee
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
hey all

firstly sorry that I'm always asking questions on here - although really hoping that someone could help me on this one that I've got today going on from some of the conjunctivitus threads I've been reading

I'm looking after a little one who has red inflamed eyelids - really itchy and weepy....parent dropped off this morning and said was "sleep" in her eyes....

now little one okay in self but I really don't know if this is infectious (sp?) or conjunctivitus or just eczema....

what do I do - do I ring for them to pick little one up? - don't want to annoy parent as I know they will say "ahh just a little red eye!!" which may be...but I don't want infection (if that is what it is) in my setting!

bit in two minds as this is the mindee who I had who was poorly at drop off the other week and I had to ring parents....they weren't pleased:(

eye itself not red - just eyelids and surrounding areas really weepy and scratchy....

and to top it off little one has really long hair and it keeps irritating her too in her eyes..

what stage would you ring parents when it comes to a suspected eye infection?

little one is two (just!)

any advise much welcome!! x

huggableshelly
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
what colour is the weepy stuff? if its not clear like tears are then make the call

otherwise i would say her hair is irritating her eyes or she is rubbing them, maybe she is suffering from hayfever too, perhaps ask parents at the end of the day to make an appointment with the Dr's just as a precaution and consider tieing her hair back so it stays out of her eyes

charliegee
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
mmmm...is green gunky stuff!! - ahhh just don't know - I know if my LO or I gets an eye infection as a result I'll be cross but The thing that is making me in two minds is that the eye itself is white (if that makes sense!) - not red like I've seen with eg conjunctivitus.

have tried to ring mum and left a message to say LO has sore eye and I'll keep her updated.

ahhh I need to get better at this side of the job!! x

huggableshelly
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
sounds like an infection to me, even might just be an eye cold but even so remember to wear gloves and keep seperate flannels/towels.

I would aim to send home too.

ORKSIE
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with Huggy, sounds like an eye infection. He needs eye drops or cream:thumbsup:

Mum needs to take a trip to the Drs to confirm and you dont want LO back if it turns out to be an infection until its being treated:thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
could also be pollen related - my ds gets like this they blow up suddenly

charliegee
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for your replys everyone

I'm thinking it could be eczema related as the eye itself looks totally fine - just the skin around it (eye lids, top and bottom all right around eye) - poor little mite....

would any of you send home just on the basis of that you're not sure what it is and you feel it needs confirming by a doctor

....or am I just making a fuss?

if I'm honest, I really don't want me, my LO or any other mindees to catch anything congagious!:blush:

little_gems
11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
only just reading!! what happened?? did you send lo home???

charliegee
11-05-2010, 10:07 PM
hello!!

yes, I did send home in the end - poor lovey!

parent was not pleased at all - could tell they were put out but I honestly felt that this could be an infection

mum is taking to the doctors tomorrow and said would give me a call to let me know what's occouring!
xxx

Cazz
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
My 2 year old dd has just had conjunctivitis and her eyes were just like you've described them above.

The whites of her eyes didn't become red until a day or two later so I think it's a high possibility that it's conjunctivitis.

It's highly contagious but schools don't exclude as long as it's being treated (checked with my sil who works in one so I knew about my mindees).

As this little one is not being treated yet I think you did right to send him home to minimize the chances of someone else being infected.

miffy
12-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm sure you did the right thing - at least lo is being seen by a dr now.

Miffy xx