PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health Visit Due Monday

scully
11-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've just had a call from environmental health & they are coming to visit me on Monday. Can anyone offer me any advise on what they would like to see etc. ?

Thanks as always,

Carol x :)

mama2three
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
i havent had a visit , but my guess would be that they will want to see the safer food better business pack in use , and may check that you understand it ..for example how you know if something is cooked through , or where in your fridge you store different items.
At least you have til monday , that would mean a whole weekend of cupboard sorting and fridge cleaning for me!!

Mookins
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
as you would expect in restaurants and kitchens etc
foods bagged up properly and all dated
food stored properly in fridge

cleaning products safe and in original bottles
bins not over flowing etc etc

its just how you would have your kichen etc in anyway as im presuming you dont live like some on the life of grime:phew:

one thing is if they see you handling eggs ALWAYS wash your ahands after
i used to work in a hotel and one of the chefs got a toasting for not doing this straght after!!

xx x

grindal
11-05-2010, 12:50 PM
My env health inspector did not go into my kitchen :eek:
It was a paperwork exercise. He looked at the SFBB pack with me, and recommended I did a food safety course. Then he gave me 4 stars and left! However, have heard of others who do look in kitchens. I think they are a bit like Ofsted Inspectors - they are not all seem to work to the same guidelines!!

monkey62
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
No OOD food
Food covered, labeled
Any freezed food labeled - First in First out
Raw food in a bottom shelf / Cooked in a top
Do not chill food on a window ( flys etc) even if you do say you don't
Antibacterial for work surfaces
Soap available to wash hands( after dealling with raw food)
Chooping board for raw/ cooked food
If you declare you record daily temperature ( ensure you have a calibrated probe)

Hats
11-05-2010, 04:08 PM
My EH visit lasted about 15 minutes and the guy just said it was a paper completing task.

He asked where I washed my hands, looked in my fridge, checked that if I cooked I wore an apron, filled in the form and then went.
Really nothing to worry about.:)

bexcee
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Is this a standard thing? I haven't heard anything from them, do they just randomly pick childminders to inspect?

miffy
11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Is this a standard thing? I haven't heard anything from them, do they just randomly pick childminders to inspect?

Have you registered with them?

They won't know you're childminding unless you've told them but if you provide food or serve food/snacks provided by parents you should be registered with environmental health and they can inspect you

Miffy xx

candy cat
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I had mine and had my partner in stitches as led her straight to the kitchen....she said actually I need to sit down for a chat first he he:blush: .

She will ask common sense questions...when do you wash hands?

Do not use bleach in the kitchen other than drain etc....ONLY ANTIBAC SPRAY AND YOU CHANGE CLOTHS EVERY DAY!!! BLUE AND WHITE

she checked everywhere,fridge seals, in cupboards etc even my first aid kit to make sure no meds were in there.

DIFFERENT COLOURED CHOPPING BOARDS FOR MEAT ETC.

You don't need fridge thermometer,but if old fridge may be useful.

I got excellent standards.:) :) :)

scully
17-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick message to say a big thank you to you all for your advice. My visit went really well & i've passed. Apparently my kitchen looked like new :)

Thanks again,

Carol x :jump for joy: