PDA

View Full Version : Upstairs playroom?

snufflepuff
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I just wanted some opinions please
We were hoping to eventually get a conservatory to use as a playroom, but after lots of discussion we have decided its just not practical or affordable! Another option we have come up with is to move our son in to the smallest bedroom (still plenty big enough for what he needs) and turn his room in to a playroom- its a really good sized room with 2 big storage cupboards so it would be ideal. We would be able to fit pretty much everything childminding-related in there.
Do you think it is ok to have a playroom upstairs? Would Ofsted have a problem with it?

Monkey26
11-05-2010, 06:31 AM
I don't see why they would as long as you risk assessed and evidenced that getting up and down the stairs on a regular basis wouldn't be a problem?
I would assume you have an upstairs toilet, so you would only be coming downstairs for meals and to go out??
I would just give Ofsted a quick call and hopefully they will point you in the right direction of some good advice... i am sure Sarah etc will come along shortly! x

christine e
11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
I seem to think Pauline has mentioned that she has an upstairs playroom so hopefully she will be along shortly and be able to give advice.

cx

miffy
11-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Have you already registered your upstairs rooms for use?

If not you would have to ask Ofsted anyway so I'd take advice from them before you decide

Miffy xx

sweets
11-05-2010, 07:34 AM
its a good idea, i thought of doing it at one point as i have a spare bedroom, BUT things to think are about are..

what about when you want a drink? youd have to take them all with you or have a kettle and juice in the playroom, or leave them for a min depending on ages.

going outside to play could be akward, but i suppose no different than if you were in a flat!

i think it would make me feel a bit 'boxed in'! if you are downstairs you can potter about doing jobs whereas it wouldnt be the same if you stuck in one room upstairs.

miss mopple
11-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I had one and gave it up for all the reasons sweets mentioned. I hated being cooped up in there so have now converted my dining room instead and that works much better :thumbsup:

Bushpig
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I have a playroom (and sleep room) upstairs, loos on both levels, big play area downstairs, which leads into the garden. I think it's nice for the kids to have different places to play if it's at all possible in your home.

As long as it's risk assessed, stair gates are up etc. I don't see why not?
Works well for me and my lil blighters :)

snufflepuff
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Have you already registered your upstairs rooms for use?
Yes i have the whole house registered.
I have a stairgate up there, and upstairs bathroom. Im not too fussed on hot drinks so would be happy to just take cold drinks up for everyone. At the moment my son, mindee and prospective mindees are all very young (range from 12-20 months) so i can see that it could be a bit of a challenge getting them up the stairs- and once we are up there we will have to stay there until its time to eat/ go out, rather than being up and down all day. If it doesnt work im happy to just bring a selection of toys down each day and let them play in the lounge, then try again in a few months. With all the toy storage being upstairs there will be much more floor space for playing! (Perhaps i could make up a photo album showing the range of toys so they can pick what they would like me to bring down for them)
It will just make all the difference to me that i can put the toys back in the playroom and close the door at the end of the day. The lounge can be a lounge for the evening!

mama2three
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I do a bit of both really , the storage is pretty much all upstairs , i bring down an assortment each day , all away and my lounge returned to grown up space each evening.Downsides of this are the extra setting up / putting away time i do every day. Sometimes we go and choose some toys and stay up and play for a while too. I wouldnt be happy having just an upstairs room - imagine the practicalities of just answering a knock on the door for example..plus i like to be able to open the back door and have free access outside. Im sure others find ways of making it work really well , just wouldnt suit me or my home layout - but it may be the best option for you. Could you give it a go for a week or 2 then decide , or would it mean a lot of rearranging furniture etc?

Pauline
12-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I seem to think Pauline has mentioned that she has an upstairs playroom so hopefully she will be along shortly and be able to give advice.

cx

We have indeed, I will reply when I have a little more time with my views :)

juejue
12-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Thats what I wanted to do with my share room, But ended up buying a 13ft x 10ft summer houes for the garden. The same side as my dinning room. Its great in the summer, My house is always clean, tidy and toy free. In the winter we just turn the heating and CD player and the children love it. expectly if its raining.
Have to go now my first mindee is here x x

Pauline
12-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I just wanted some opinions please
We were hoping to eventually get a conservatory to use as a playroom, but after lots of discussion we have decided its just not practical or affordable! Another option we have come up with is to move our son in to the smallest bedroom (still plenty big enough for what he needs) and turn his room in to a playroom- its a really good sized room with 2 big storage cupboards so it would be ideal. We would be able to fit pretty much everything childminding-related in there.
Do you think it is ok to have a playroom upstairs? Would Ofsted have a problem with it?

Ofsted wouldn't have a problem with it, but you do have to consider escape routes and how you would get children down in an emergency. I did a full risk assessment when asking for it to be registered to use as a playroom.

We find ours invaluable but I am not sure if it would be so practical if I was working alone because it certainly impedes free flow play. You could not be upstairs with some and have any outside if on your own but because we work together then one of us can be in and one out, so no problem for us.

We also find that parents seem a little reluctant to come up to the playroom, they are welcome to and encouraged to, but I get the impression sometimes that they feel it is an intrusion on our privacy to go upstairs - if that makes sense - and I feel that they miss out on seeing displays and such. I do try to include display photos in the children's books to make up for this.

We also use other parts of the house so that children don't feel too restricted as it might feel claustrophobic to be in one room all the time, we use the lounge for quiet activities and story time. Conservatory for all meals.

Plus points:

Majority of toys in one area keeps rest of home fairly toy free.

You can shut the door on your 'work' at the end of the day and feel like you go 'home' :)

You are not so worried about mess on the carpet, paint and glue spills don't seem half so bad as they would on your best lounge carpet

Children feel like it is their room and input on what we have on walls etc.

Handy for the bathroom.

Hope that helps :)

snufflepuff
13-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Thank you Pauline that was really helpful.
I think im going to give it a go and see how it all works out. If it seems a bit difficult i can just keep it as a toy storage room/ playroom for my son, so the rest of my house is mine. Theres plenty of room for the LOs to play downstairs so thats not a problem.
Just need to get shifting furniture now!