PDA

View Full Version : Using Makaton

catswhiskers
10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I will be starting next week with a 13 month old whose parents use the Makaton sign language system. I have done a couple of settling-ins and recognised one sign she did which meant "more" as Mum had told me a couple of signs beforehand.

I'm now worried that I won't be able to maybe meet parents expectations as I usually just use the spoken word i.e. chatting away! to the babies and toddlers etc.

I don't know anything about Makaton (i've quickly looked this up) but will it hinder the child's speech and just let them rely on hand signals? Sorry to be so negative but I've not come across this before.

Pipsqueak
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
signing can possibly help a childs speech develop quicker - providing its used along with the spoken word and it not soley relied upon. it can also reduce frustrations and behaviour difficulties.

ask the parents to teach you some more - explaining just as you have done here.
flip onto Mr Tumble/Something Special (CBeebies) and get watching - its a lot of fun.
Ask your local EY teams if there is access to any sing and sign classes etc.

rachelle
10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi, I used (still use) makaton with my twins due to speech delay on their part and hearing loss. I talk at the same time, you're meant to with makaton. Use the signs to emphasis the main words of a sentence - so say "would you like more" but just sign the "more" I actually found it made their language come on quickly because they suddenly had the confidence to communicate and be understood. It is useful now for telling them off across a crowded room! :D

The Mr Tumble bit on the cbeebies website has some signs on it, some of the early ones. Think I used more, cake, biscuit, drink and please/thankyou the most in the early days. Good luck :)

catswhiskers
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow - thanks for the quick replies. I will take some of your tips on board and let you know how it's going.

singlewiththree
11-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Good luck, once you start you may find you do it automatically. 'i do now as used it with my dd to help her confidence.

claire bear 72
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
hi....you can ring your local authority & ask for a makaton start up pack???? things like please and thankyou.....also a speech & language therapist may be able to get you some info?????:idea:

mama2three
11-05-2010, 07:14 AM
childrens centres will all have copies of the signs for you to copy. there are lots of great books / dvds ( google signing with ollie , or something special). Are there any tiny talk classes in your area , thats where i learnt all the basics. Start off by using signs in your songs , you probably do lots of them as 'actions' already..you will pick it up very quickly!
And dont worry about delaying speech , in the majority of cases the opposite it true :D

breezy
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
http://www.makaton.org/

This should help, but learn biscuit, drink and cake and you'll be fine !!!!!!!

sillysausage
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I posted about this site last week http://itvbabysign.com/a-z/find-sign.aspx
Most baby signs seem to be very similar to makaton.

This is a brilliant opportunity for working in partnership with parents. Ask them to teach you 2 or 3 new signs each week. Your makaton vocabulary will soon expand!
I would start with things like food, drink, please, thankyou, milk, bed, sleep, doll, teddy, more etc

catswhiskers
11-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Again, thanks for all your advice.

I suppose it helps a lot that both parents are speech and language therapists!
I'll ask them for some literature.

My own family are always saying that I act out too much when I am talking and I also help with song-time at the local toddler groups so suppose it will be ok in the end.

Just worried that I will get it wrong and teach the child something else!

Chell
12-05-2010, 06:57 AM
I presume at 13 months they are just using it as baby signing rather than due to a speech delay/problem.

The Sing and Sign company use Makaton signs. Perhaps you and the mindee could attend a class to build your confidence.

Helen79
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
we've always used makaton here, it's really easy to pick up & you soon just start doing it automatically, even when saying thank you in shops without the kids :blush:
Sorry is a another good one to teach a bit later as even older children who can talk can sign it if they find saying sorry hard.

Helen79
12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
forgot to add that you can't really do it wrong, it doesn't have to be perfect signing. ds has made up his own signs too so as long as you all understand what you mean you'll be ok :)

catswhiskers
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Chelle - don't think it's down to a speech delay problem - the only word I have heard her say so far is "daddy" and "b" for ball but she does babble away.

Carpet Monkeys
26-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Just found this site - there are demonstrations at the bottom - going to set myself a challenge to learn 5 words a day!

http://www.totalcommunication.org.uk/makaton-signing.html

marzi
26-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Just found this site - there are demonstrations at the bottom - going to set myself a challenge to learn 5 words a day!

http://www.totalcommunication.org.uk/makaton-signing.html

Thats brilliant, thanks for the link!

Helen Dempster
27-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I love makaton and used it with my own son when he was a baby, before he could speak. I also spoke lots to him though, so used the two together. I really think it helped him develop quicker rather than hinder him in any way. People used to 'ooooh' and 'ahhh' when they saw him using sign for 'please' and 'thank you' for example - it does look very cute!

I think it's great and would say go for it - it can be fun :)